Sponsored

Thinking of switching whipple to turbo, please discuss

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I remember a thread on Yellow Bullet where a guy had twins on a coyote with Manley I beam rods and he was making around 1200 - 1300 hp on the engine dyno and he bent or snapped those rods, however I don't know the details could have been tune related.
Yikes. Those are supposed to be pretty damn awesome rods for their price. Hard to say what happened. I'm not looking to cheap out. I know you get what you pay for. I've never gone with the cheapest priced built engine. I usually get estimates from three stupid well known respected places and compare to see what the differences are as far as brand of parts then go from there.
Stock blocks will start to crack the sleeves around 900 RWHP they are only like .060 thick don't quote me on that and they start to flex. When you sleeve the block the sleeves are much thicker and they will register at the top of the block to prevent them from dropping down and they won't distort so you will have better ring seal hence more power. Sleeved block with all ARP hardware is probably good to 1300 -1500 rwhp.
1500whp is what I'm being told at places like RGR, BES, MPR.
I didnt, bent 4 rods and cracked a piston. 18psi @ 8k in stock motor doesn't last very long. Who knew:shrug:
Yikes that's right. I forgot. My bad.

Here is a pic of mine.
picture.jpg
You got that from hypermotive. What do they use to build it? What did it run you?
Sponsored

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
You got that from hypermotive. What do they use to build it? What did it run you?
TKM/ Hypermotive 1500+ HP Race Prepped Short Block:
Decked/ Honed/ Deburred/ Hot Washed/ full race prepped,
balanced, and blueprinted
FRPP Aluminum Coyote Block Darton Sleeved and race
reinforcement water jacket supports/ O Ringed for further
head gasket support
FRPP Crankshaft BOSS 302 and 2016 Cobra Jet; Forged 4130 Steel.
Custom CP Coyote pistons setup for 1600hp turbo with .250” wall pins and
Nitrided Stainless Rings
Top ring moved down for big power
Thicker tops and skirts for strength
Using 1mm nitrided steel top, 1.2mm napier 2nd ring, and
Manley Pro I beam billet connecting rods W/ ARP Bolts
King/ Clevitte main and rod bearings
ARP main studs and side bolts
ARP/ Livernois head studs

Retail is 11k

jhatley7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 White GT PP, 2022 F350
Also rated for 1500+

Reds197

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 BASE (sold)16 LPF 62mm 16 Whipple 15 VMP MT-82
I agree turbo is best. My pount is OP has a built motor and whipple already making over 900. When he swaps to a 900 hp turbo he wont gain much.

I have cracked a built motor on stock sleeves. IMO i wouldn't build a motor without them. Same principle as opg and timing sprocket. Sure people get away with at but at some point it will cost you big time!

SolarFlare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 CO GT
Stock blocks will start to crack the sleeves around 900 RWHP they are only like .060 thick don't quote me on that and they start to flex. When you sleeve the block the sleeves are much thicker and they will register at the top of the block to prevent them from dropping down and they won't distort so you will have better ring seal hence more power. Sleeved block with all ARP hardware is probably good to 1300 -1500 rwhp.
Cool so even a built stock block is only good roughly 900whp.

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I agree turbo is best. My pount is OP has a built motor and whipple already making over 900. When he swaps to a 900 hp turbo he wont gain much.

I have cracked a built motor on stock sleeves. IMO i wouldn't build a motor without them. Same principle as opg and timing sprocket. Sure people get away with at but at some point it will cost you big time!
I agree the OP is at the stock sleeve limits where he is at his goal of 1000 rwhp on stock sleeves is not a safe bet. The only reason to upgrade to turbo's is to have the extra head room to push it harder once the block is sleeved and providing you have the drivetrain and fuel parts to support it.:cheers:

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Here is a pic of mine.
picture.jpg
Nice.. Did they do the pressed in inserts then machine the coolant transfer holes?

We're going to be testing a Baer engine block here shortly at around 40-50psi. :)

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
I agree the OP is at the stock sleeve limits where he is at his goal of 1000 rwhp on stock sleeves is not a safe bet. The only reason to upgrade to turbo's is to have the extra head room to push it harder once the block is sleeved and providing you have the drivetrain and fuel parts to support it.:cheers:
Some local guys with my motor are running close to 1200 wheel without issue. I don't have sleeves, but do have the coolant block supports.

Thing I like about turbo is at track pump boost to 1000 wheel. Around town on street tires drop it to 8 or 900, so it's not under constant strain when wot.

I also have Ben calmer trans, dss and bmr everything, fore triple pump fuel system id1300, so I thinking done all the right things to support 1k is why I'm trying so hard to get there.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!

Well yeah, but he does pick up less stress on the engine switching to turbo. That counts for something!
I personally wouldn't push the stock sleeves past 850 rwhp.:thumbsup:
agreed

Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Some local guys with my motor are running close to 1200 wheel without issue. I don't have sleeves, but do have the coolant block supports.

Thing I like about turbo is at track pump boost to 1000 wheel. Around town on street tires drop it to 8 or 900, so it's not under constant strain when wot.

I also have Ben calmer trans, dss and bmr everything, fore triple pump fuel system id1300, so I thinking done all the right things to support 1k is why I'm trying so hard to get there.
What power adder are those guys running to make 1200 RWHP I bet it's turbos lol the coolant block supports will help but the fact remains that the sleeves are too thin and will distort they can't handle that kind of stress. I would love to see what the inside of that motor looks like after 75 HARD runs you may change your train of thought after seeing that. Who are you kidding once you've tasted 1000 RWHP you aren't going to turn it down to 800 or 900.:lol:

OP
OP

doodguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Roush Stage 1 Supercharged Mustang GT
What power adder are those guys running to make 1200 RWHP I bet it's turbos lol the coolant block supports will help but the fact remains that the sleeves are too thin and will distort they can't handle that kind of stress. I would love to see what the inside of that motor looks like after 75 HARD runs you may change your train of thought after seeing that. Who are you kidding once you've tasted 1000 RWHP you aren't going to turn it down to 800 or 900.:lol:
LOL maybe not. And yes they are running turbo; another reason I'm thinking of switching to turbo.

I feel like whipple is perfect for guys wanting 700ish rwhp. Those like myself wanting to push for more, I feel like turbo may be better option. But I am not 100% on my feelings, thats why I'm here asking for those with experience to chime in.

Decisions decisions.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
LOL maybe not. And yes they are running turbo; another reason I'm thinking of switching to turbo.

I feel like whipple is perfect for guys wanting 700ish rwhp. Those like myself wanting to push for more, I feel like turbo may be better option. But I am not 100% on my feelings, thats why I'm here asking for those with experience to chime in.

Decisions decisions.
Whipple can work but you need many supporting engine mods and high boost to make it happen, turbo ultimately has more power potential and will easily match the Whipple but at a lower boost level which will be easier on the motor. They say once you go turbo you never look back but if you don't take the leap how will you know.:shrug:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
It's like that procharged f1a gt350 that's making 1030whp on atock internals, only internal upgraded is opg and cg. It's on borrowed time.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
It's like that procharged f1a gt350 that's making 1030whp on atock internals, only internal upgraded is opg and cg. It's on borrowed time.
It's easy to make claims like that but there is no time on that set up to know how long it will last they call it the long run for a reason. People see 1 guy do it and take it for gospel like that old saying goes don't believe everything you read or hear or whatever lmao. If 10 people are doing it and there is no failure then it's worth a shot but 1 guy making a 1 hit wonder I wouldn't hold my breath, and if and when it does go boom we will never hear about it cause he doesn't want to hear I told you so.:lol:
Sponsored