Sponsored

Thinking of switching whipple to turbo, please discuss

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
As much as I think Ken Bjonnes is a good tuner, he tuned it and he tunes aggressive. I can't imagine it'll last more then 6 months, pending how much its driven. It's like the 1100-1200whp turbo stock block coyotes, it will die if left that way.
Sponsored

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
As much as I think Ken Bjonnes is a good tuner, he tuned it and he tunes aggressive. I can't imagine it'll last more then 6 months, pending how much its driven. It's like the 1100-1200whp turbo stock block coyotes, it will die if left that way.
They could have just tuned it to break that 1000 rwhp and then turned it down, but I remember reading that Ford said the voodoo engine doesn't fair well with forced induction as they tried it and broke cranks due to excessive harmonics.

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
he's pretty active on facebook and it appears he drives the shit outta that thing. idt its fair to call it a 1 hit wonder, but he may be a little luckier than most lol. I'm sure he's not expecting it to last long and just waiting to build it stronger.

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I can show you guys pics of distorted bores from 2 engines apart in my shop right now. One D1SC car at 750whp on 93 and Torco. Other was a twin turbo car from a brand I won't say (since they'll get all butt hurt) at 850whp on E85. Both had a little blow by, but still ran. Almost every bore was egg shaped / out of round by a good .0025", which is enough to lose ring seal. Also, they showed signs of blowing combustion past the head gasket(s) at the top of almost every cylinder.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I can show you guys pics of distorted bores from 2 engines apart in my shop right now. One D1SC car at 750whp on 93 and Torco. Other was a twin turbo car from a brand I won't say (since they'll get all butt hurt) at 850whp on E85. Both had a little blow by, but still ran. Almost every bore was egg shaped / out of round by a good .0025", which is enough to lose ring seal. Also, they showed signs of blowing combustion past the head gasket(s) at the top of almost every cylinder.
p\Pic's please was this tune related or simply too much boost ?

Sponsored

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
Travis, are you building their motors or sending them elsewhere? I saw mention of the Baer block

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Lololol lpf.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Would love to look at those motors torn down w cylinder numbers marked on bearings, rods, pistons and check out cylinder walls. Keep them tucked away in the shop?
The plasma liner is insane. When you think about power per dollar on these stock motors I cant help but have mad respect for Ford engineers.
Surely someone has a stereo scope and some dye in Htown?

Sponsored

Travis@boostworks

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.boostworks.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I get it.. look, I'm not an engineer. But, I can tell you that these blocks are not living long lives past 800whp or so. I'm talking 16.5 degrees on 93, with no knock. 20-21 degrees on E85. They aren't failing catastrophically, but they are distorting bores. This renders the block weak even if you want to sleeve after the fact.

pro 5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
Would love to look at those motors torn down w cylinder numbers marked on bearings, rods, pistons and check out cylinder walls. Keep them tucked away in the shop?
The plasma liner is insane. When you think about power per dollar on these stock motors I cant help but have mad respect for Ford engineers.
Surely someone has a stereo scope and some dye in Htown?
5.0 L coyote doesn't have plasma liner only the GT 500 and GT 350 have it.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
So much for my plans of putting a single turbo kit on the stock block for spring-fall while i save for the engine and trans. I wonder if I can still on like under 10 psi.

Black Dog

Looking For Trouble
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Fred
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Air Cooled Twins by Comp Turbo
So much for my plans of putting a single turbo kit on the stock block for spring-fall while i save for the engine and trans. I wonder if I can still on like under 10 psi.
You have been reading to much internet. Install it and run it.
:cool:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
You have been reading to much internet. Install it and run it.
:cool:
I'm inclined to disagree. Ive known of this problem for years but was under the impression it was when pushed around the 900 area. I have zero reasons to treat my things so poorly to ruin a good engine. I don't roll that way. My stock block can be resold or reused if I don't ruin it.
Sponsored