Standard V8 Exhaust system- Thoughts?

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
I am interested to know from others what they think of the standard exhaust system as fitted to the V8. Especially after the car has done a few thousand clicks.

Are you happy with the standard system?

Have you found the note changes after the exhaust burns in?

Are you happy to keep it standard?

Thanks in advance
Sponsored

Aus-MustangGT

Aus-350
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 WRX/Evo 8 ADM
I am interested to know from others what they think of the standard exhaust system as fitted to the V8. Especially after the car has done a few thousand clicks.

Thanks in advance
I wasn't happy with it at all, sounded far too restricted for a V8 changing to the Corsa Sport has brought more smiles per km

wimbrow

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
tom
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT fastback black

Thanks in advance
hi paul. i have a 2016 GT MT fastback. 3500 km .its too quiet. at idle and slow start sounds burbley but accelerate and you can hear the sound tube only. sounds nice but is coming from the front of the car and slightly artificial. am installing the street fighter full exhaust in 2 weeks time. tom

msweet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby GT PP 10A w/ Magride, Recaros
Mine lasted less than 24 hours, I was always going to change it. Sounded marginally better than I expected, but way too quiet.

My Xtreme has gotten a little quieter after a couple thousand kms though. Stock will probably do the same, although honestly I reckon it's so quiet you wouldn't be able to tell

Vinno

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Mustang GT Fastback Manual
I don't have mine yet but know enough guys who have. I know the exhaust was one of the cost saving areas on this car just by looking at it. Ford put a lot of money into the design of the car which shows just looking at the outside and interior. Most people I know who are not car people think it is a steal at the price it is so I guess making an ugly unbalanced exhaust is probably not an issue as all anyone sees of the exhaust is the stainless steel tips which look fine.

Also it seems most people like to upgrade their exhaust to personal preference anyway so it seems a logical cost saver. It is cheap and restrictive and way too quiet for a modern V8 is my opinion but then there are those who are happy with it. I am sure you are going to get both sides of the coin when people answer you.

I think one of the Streetfighter topics shows the standard headers to give an idea of the poor quality.

Sponsored

blagz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I changed to Roush axleback the next day. Its a different car :)

Unkle Ed

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
It is always going to be a personal choice/preference as to what sounds good. I know for some people the standard exhaust will be enough but for me it wasn't. I've pretty much always owned a V8 and for me the note and sound is spot on standard but there just isn't enough volume. The only time you hear it is when your accelerating otherwise as soon as your cruising it completely disappears, 60-100km/h, it doesn't matter it's gone, even with the window down you don't hear it at cruise.

Ford Racing by Borla Sport Axle backs have got mine to where I would of wanted it standard. Nice volume increase, still has a nice deep note, can hear it while cruising and can still have a normal conversation while driving no worries. I also have a Ford Racing X-Pipe to go on but so far I'm happy with the way it sounds just with the axle backs and I'm having 2nd thoughts of putting the X-pipe on now.

RSPEC-015

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Territory & Mustang GT
I'm quite happy with mine standard but will change it down the track a bit. Gives me more time to decide but I would like to do headers as well.

mwizz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
1969 Mustang 390 Fastback
Mine is still standard and okay. At some point I will look to get a nice deep sounding system.

MrMustang1974

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red mustang GT
After hearing my dealers managers car with a xforce that he had on for some klms I had one ordered and put on my car and honestly havnt looked back. Its a great looking system and sounds absolutely fantastic compared to the standard system. Will take a vid and post me thinks :)

Sponsored

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
After picking mine up I was quite surprised by the standard exhaust and started to question whether it really needed an upgrade... However I had already purchased an MBRP Street cat-back so I installed that the day after picking the car up. How wrong I was! Cat-back is a must do, completely transformed the driving experience and I just can't get enough of the glorious sound.

OP
OP
PG68

PG68

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Oxford white GT Fastback 6speed
Great responses everyone, thank you. I know there are people like me who still have no car yet and think the same question regarding the stock exhaust. You all have me now thinking, I may drive her first and then afterwards order / decide.

I like reading the reasons why you changed to an aftermarket system including the brand / type.

MustangDownUnder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I had my exhaust sitting in my living room 6 months before the car arrived.... I always knew I was going to change it. I selected the exhaust based on info/research etc.

When the first few Mustangs started to show up on the roads locally, and I saw my first S550 GT in the flesh.... It was great, car looked awesome... but I quickly realised and was quite disappointed that I could not hear it, (I was driving right next to it, with windows down, stop/go traffic) It was quite a let down.

My first drive of my car, out of the dealership was a much better experience, the exhaust sounds ok in the cabin, and you only really hear it properly when giving it a bit of gas. For the first day of driving I thought to myself, 'yeah I could really probably leave it stock and it wouldn't be the end of the world'. The sound is good. It just needs more volume. I think the res delete is probably a good option for a cheap fix.

However, the following Monday I had the catback installed, and the Mustang grin just got bigger ...... there is no way I would go back to stock.

I really think leaving the exhaust stock is missing out on a good chunk of the 'Mustang experience'.

I like reading the reasons why you changed to an aftermarket system including the brand / type.
Im really happy with the FRPP - sport catback!

There are a few good options I have heard in person at Mustang meets. Which is the 'Best' is all personal preference ofcourse.

phil545

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
The standard exhaust note is awesome but it's WAAAY too quiet! If only it was louder.

Mine also blew heaps of fibreglass out the back all the time so the rear of the car looked like it was covered in glitter. I've done the full Hurricane exhaust now and love it, it sounds like a sporty V8

Accepitris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harvey
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Falcon XR6
I didn't like the tone and it was slightly too quiet for me. I changed it out for Borla S Type axlebacks and I'm quite happy.
Sponsored