Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
I say change the name of the GT Performance Package to MACH 1 and add special stripes and call it a day.

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package ETA Feb (US Port) under MSRP
Been done before, only it was called the Boss 302 Lol! I could see them doing this though.
Sponsored

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Well the boss was a little more than the GT PP

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package ETA Feb (US Port) under MSRP

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
Well the boss was a little more than the GT PP

Right, but I would say it's similarly comparable to today's PP.

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
My brother in law had a Porsche. He needed a part for the car and spoke to his cousin who was a manager at the closest VW, Porsche, Audi dealership. His cousin told him get VW part number XXXXXXXXXX not Porsche number XXXXXXXXXX. He said the VW part was about 40% the price of the Porsche part. His cousin said it was the same damn part just branded VW. Gonna be funny if Ford sells transmission part X for more or less than GM.
In your example, the two brands are joined at the hip, not competitors. Anyway, regarding the transmissions & their parts, it will be no different than the current generation of 6-speed automatics for FWD applications - Ford & GM codeveloped that line of transmissions too. There's common architecture, but basically both companies developed a common starting place and then developed their own version from there to suit their own needs. There will be a lot that's different, even if the core development is shared.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I hear "Mach 1" is actually the engine name that is designated for a Mustang GT500. I hear this "Mach 1" is actually the name of a Supercharged Coyote engine AND, depending on what happens, could be abandoned for an Ecoboost and Twin Turbo Coyote named "Cobra Jet" and "Super Cobra Jet".

So, while it is only a peep, it breaks it down to a few different possibilities.

A 2017 GT500 with a Supercharged Coyote named "Mach 1".

A 2017-'18 Mach 1 using said engine because the GT500 moved on to the next two options.

An Ecoboost Coyote called the "Cobra Jet" will be used in a 2017-'18 GT500.

A Twin Turbo Coyote called "Super Cobra Jet" will be used in a 2017-'18 GT500KR.

If DI isn't ready (or they are not happy with it). A GT500 could use a SC Coyote in 2017 and a CJ/SCJ in 2018. Kinda depends on the LT4 Camaro somewhat too. It all depends on what kind of pressure the Camaro puts on the Mustang in general.

Sponsored

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
I hear "Mach 1" is actually the engine name that is designated for a Mustang GT500. I hear this "Mach 1" is actually the name of a Supercharged Coyote engine AND, depending on what happens, could be abandoned for an Ecoboost and Twin Turbo Coyote named "Cobra Jet" and "Super Cobra Jet".

So, while it is only a peep, it breaks it down to a few different possibilities.

A 2017 GT500 with a Supercharged Coyote named "Mach 1".

A 2017-'18 Mach 1 using said engine because the GT500 moved on to the next two options.

An Ecoboost Coyote called the "Cobra Jet" will be used in a 2017-'18 GT500.

A Twin Turbo Coyote called "Super Cobra Jet" will be used in a 2017-'18 GT500KR.

If DI isn't ready (or they are not happy with it). A GT500 could use a SC Coyote in 2017 and a CJ/SCJ in 2018. Kinda depends on the LT4 Camaro somewhat too. It all depends on what kind of pressure the Camaro puts on the Mustang in general.
Just curious, Pill, because I don't know your story, but where do you 'hear' things from? A source at ford? Not trying to find your sources identity, just curious to validity, and no offense meant.

Also, what's the difference in ecoboost coyote and TT coyote? Ecoboost being twin turbos on 3.5's, not sure if that was a typo or I'm missing something.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Just curious, Pill, because I don't know your story, but where do you 'hear' things from? A source at ford? Not trying to find your sources identity, just curious to validity, and no offense meant.

Also, what's the difference in ecoboost coyote and TT coyote? Ecoboost being twin turbos on 3.5's, not sure if that was a typo or I'm missing something.
I don't think anyone that put this stuff on the internet works at Ford. Media is mostly where the talking happens AND, sometimes people post things on Social media that probably shouldn't. GM is a different story... there are a lot of people within GM that typically do not like them.

My identity is no secret nor is it hidden. Both communities are fully aware of who I am. Nobody of significant importance.

The Ecoboost name is typically associated with a Turbo and Direct Injection. It encompasses all including Twin Turbo's. thePill uses "Twin Turbo" usually when talking about a single and twin turbo together... as we may see in the GT500 and GT500KR.

I was under the impression that the GT500 would be swept under the Ecoboost rug but, with Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet a very big possibility, it would make things easier.

You know, at one time, "Ecoboost" was called "Twin Force". The "Twin Force" was intended to be more performance oriented. However, the Mustang's V8 program will likely adopt its own Cobra Jet and Super Cobra Jet names. Only because they existed before AND, were typically found in 1st Gen GT500's (Not sure about the SCJ 429).

If this all works out, the Mustang would be the only Ford that has two Ecoboost V8 options. It could be the reason behind the Cobra and Super Cobra scheme.

Of course, this could all be bullsh!t...

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Where's the BS flag when you need it?lol

EXP Jawa

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
You're still assuming that there is a GT500 program. I've never seen any actual evidence to that end, only rampant rumor and speculation stirred by media and internet experts. I've observed that SVT has had their hands full getting Hummingbird out the door (in 2 versions even), plus the next Raptor, and they are not a large group nor do they have infinite resources (SVT is often doing the most they can with very little). All I do know is that there doesn't appear to be anything on the horizon that can put more torque down than the GT350R does - though admittedly, that doesn't rule out a higher torque (rated) motor with lesser tires.

Sponsored

GForensic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future Mach 1/GT500 Owner
Future Mach 1

Hello all,

I’m close to ordering a 2016 GT/CS but can’t help but wonder about the rumored Mach 1. I recently sold a 2003 Mach 1 (Azure Blue!!) in order to make room for a new GT but now I am not so sure. As much as I love the GT I love special editions even more. Those getting the GT350 and GT350R are getting awesome cars which will be much more special in my book. I have been buying cars for a long time so I fully understand getting hammered on trade values when the time comes unless you sell outright of course so that is a consideration. I do have the good fortune of having the A Plan in addition to Ford's current rebates ($500) and a $750 private cash coupon. On the other hand if I don't buy now I might be sitting around for years waiting for a car that might never come hence why not buy a GT now and enjoy it?

I guess I am wondering if there anybody out there like me that is seriously considering holding off on a new GT on the “rumor” of a future Mach 1 or any other special edition (Bullitt Maybe??). I know there are other threads on the speculation of the Mach 1 but I am more interested in getting thoughts of other owners or future owners on if they would wait or not. And that’s of course if ford even brings back the Mach 1 which according to a lot of different sites they are but then again this is the Internet so anything goes! Thoughts??

Thanks!!
:thumbsup:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
This is a tough one.

Right now, I'd be wanting a GT/CS, just like yourself, but then there's always something else just around the corner. The biggest problem for a prospective buyer is Ford are very very good at keeping secrets and not giving any clues as to future product.

The Mach 1 rumour started, if I recall correctly, a good 18 months to 2 years ago when Ford renewed their copyright to the Mach 1 name. However, this is no guarantee that there's a new one coming, it just means Ford retains the rights. This could just be for future marketing purposes (Ford used the Mach 1 logo at SEMA last year on the stand behind the King Cobra concept).

If you're going to find out about a future Mach 1, Mustang6g is likely where you'll hear it first.

Could Mach 1 be a final fling for S550 before it's first facelift? Or will it coincide with that facelift, which many think will be for the '18MY.

Personally, I'd ride out the show season (LA in Dec, Detroit in Jan) as that's likely where Ford will show any intent, if any.

If you're in a position to buy a GT/CS now, keep it mint and trade it in 18 months to 2 years, then do it, because it's likely to be a long wait before you hear anything concrete about a future SE.

:)

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
Next year it's a Mach 1, then in 2018 it's a facelift and then in 2019 it's a GT500 and so on and so on.

Unless you already have a 2015 I'd say get that CS and enjoy life. It's too short to wait for the next best thing.

Reactions: 113

jpilone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Hello all,

I’m close to ordering a 2016 GT/CS but can’t help but wonder about the rumored Mach 1. I recently sold a 2003 Mach 1 (Azure Blue!!) in order to make room for a new GT but now I am not so sure. As much as I love the GT I love special editions even more. Those getting the GT350 and GT350R are getting awesome cars which will be much more special in my book. I have been buying cars for a long time so I fully understand getting hammered on trade values when the time comes unless you sell outright of course so that is a consideration. I do have the good fortune of having the A Plan in addition to Ford's current rebates ($500) and a $750 private cash coupon. On the other hand if I don't buy now I might be sitting around for years waiting for a car that might never come hence why not buy a GT now and enjoy it?

I guess I am wondering if there anybody out there like me that is seriously considering holding off on a new GT on the “rumor” of a future Mach 1 or any other special edition (Bullitt Maybe??). I know there are other threads on the speculation of the Mach 1 but I am more interested in getting thoughts of other owners or future owners on if they would wait or not. And that’s of course if ford even brings back the Mach 1 which according to a lot of different sites they are but then again this is the Internet so anything goes! Thoughts??

Thanks!!
:thumbsup:
I am going from a '04 CO Mach 1 to a '16 CO GT Premium PP I special ordered.

I was hesitant, just like you. I love my CO Mach 1. It's been a love affair since the day I bought her. I actually sold the car yesterday (which he'll be taking delivery this weekend), and I was very sad about it last night.

Before ordering my car, I had the same feelings. That all went away the moment I test drove a GT 6 speed with the PP. Everything in the car felt "right". Things placed where they were supposed to be, materials felt good. I am a huge fan of the 94-04 interior, and the S550 interior is just awe inspiring! The car just felt good to me, even entering/exiting the car. I was sold. I sat in a leftover '14 to feel the recaro seats the next day, and placed my order for my '16 right then and there.

Like you, I love the Mach 1, so I am almost making my own, without the logo/emblems:

blank logo side stripes
matte black center hood stripe
matte black rear spoiler (roush)

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have very fond memories of a 2003 Mach 1 my uncle had back in, well, 2003. I was barely 16 at the time and he let me drive it all the time. That was pretty special for me.

Anyway, I wouldn't hold out for one. They have been rumored to re appear for years. That said, I wouldn't trade a Mach 1 for s new GT, but if you are set on getting s new car....get what you want now

Also, IIRC, the $750 private cash I got said it was not valid with A plan.
Sponsored