Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Wasn't the Mach 1 originally what we today would see as a "GT" badge? And I thought you could get a 428 Cobra Jet in a Mach 1.
Which is what I liked about 60s, 70s and 80s cars is that you could get different engines in many trims, whereas now you're very limited. And even if you can choose an engine it still has many different prerequisites so that the choice is very limited and you cannot mix and match.I know that it's easier and more economical to just make one engine, but it doesn't make the car as special. If it was back in the day, everyone would have been able to get a V6 PP or a V6 Premium, V6 with V8s rims, V6 with navi, V6 with Recaros etc.. It has gotten to a point where a buyer is basically backed into a corner and it's like this "If you want this car you can get it only with this and this". Ford made a huge mistake on not offering atleast a premium package on V6. How is it a worst trim than EB or V8? It's just a different engine that many people prefer too, and I don't see why they are treated the worst. I think that every trim should get equal treatment. What makes EB or V8 so special that they get NAV, Recaro's, PP, Premium, and other stuff, and that's all because of a different engine? Fords logic on this one is very flawed.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Wasn't the Mach 1 originally what we today would see as a "GT" badge? And I thought you could get a 428 Cobra Jet in a Mach 1.
No, there were GTs and the next step up were Mach1s. There were fewer GTs than Mach1s in 1969 and 70 due to the popularity of the package.
Yes, you could get any engine from a 351 2V on up.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Which is what I liked about 60s, 70s and 80s cars is that you could get different engines in many trims, whereas now you're very limited. And even if you can choose an engine it still has many different prerequisites so that the choice is very limited and you cannot mix and match.I know that it's easier and more economical to just make one engine, but it doesn't make the car as special. If it was back in the day, everyone would have been able to get a V6 PP or a V6 Premium, V6 with V8s rims, V6 with navi, V6 with Recaros etc.. It has gotten to a point where a buyer is basically backed into a corner and it's like this "If you want this car you can get it only with this and this". Ford made a huge mistake on not offering atleast a premium package on V6. How is it a worst trim than EB or V8? It's just a different engine that many people prefer too, and I don't see why they are treated the worst. I think that every trim should get equal treatment. What makes EB or V8 so special that they get NAV, Recaro's, PP, Premium, and other stuff, and that's all because of a different engine? Fords logic on this one is very flawed.
Ford is purposefully trying to minimize the sales of the V6 due to fuel economy targets. The V6 has worse FE than the EB, and roughly equivalent performance. From Ford's perspective that is just a waste of potential CAFE benefits. Therefore they limit the options to drive as many buyers as possible towards the EB. It only becomes a bad strategy if they lose sales because of it.

I would personally prefer the V6 over the EB, but most buyers prefer the added torque and better FE of the turbo. It will be interesting to see how the Camaro's lineup affects Fords strategy.

-T

Erik427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1979 Mustang
I would love to see a Mach1 come with the new 3.5 with a set of electric turbos. I keep hearing whispers about how these turbos are so much better. Just dreaming.......sigh.

Sponsored

Voodoo

Elite Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car
And it was actually quite well received at the time.

As was the concept for the s197. Which looks weird now looking back.

S550 didn't really have a concept premier.
S550 was based on the EVOS concept

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
The EVOS was more of a total design language concept -- to be applied Ford-wide, not a Mustang-specific concept.

Voodoo

Elite Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Car
The EVOS was more of a total design language concept -- to be applied Ford-wide, not a Mustang-specific concept.
Yes, because all cars (apart from the Ford GT) in the Ford line-up share the same "global design" language now. Look at the Fusion and look and the new Mustang.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Good looking cars - I think I like the looks of the entire Ford lineup!

Sponsored

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Ford is purposefully trying to minimize the sales of the V6 due to fuel economy targets. The V6 has worse FE than the EB, and roughly equivalent performance. From Ford's perspective that is just a waste of potential CAFE benefits. Therefore they limit the options to drive as many buyers as possible towards the EB. It only becomes a bad strategy if they lose sales because of it.

I would personally prefer the V6 over the EB, but most buyers prefer the added torque and better FE of the turbo. It will be interesting to see how the Camaro's lineup affects Fords strategy.

-T
I am still getting a V6 no matter what, but I can see a considerate amount of people choosing a different car (Camaro/Challenger, or maybe something else) because they are looking for a good V6 engine car. They don't want an ecoboost (I4 is still not something Americans prefer for the most part), nor GT (somewhat fuel economy, but not so much now, and mainly price). I understand you point, but if they are still offering that trim then why would they limit buyers from it? I don't think that they would have gotten a considerate amounts of CAFE benefit either way. What is weird is that if Ford wants to go away with a V6, why didn't they do it with the 6 gen? It makes more sense that way, rather than offering a trim that you can't get any options for or dropping an engine in mid-cycle refresh. And wouldn't it be cheaper that way too? It seems like they couldn't decide for some reason on either option, so they just did what they did. I mean, at least add a Premium or CClub of America Package, it's not like it's going to hurt anybody.

Yes, because all cars (apart from the Ford GT) in the Ford line-up share the same "global design" language now. Look at the Fusion and look and the new Mustang.
Which is a bad idea. I like the look, but making all cars the same (regardless of price) isn't a good thing. Ford is now at a point where Audi was about 4-5 years ago. Every single model (sedan) was exactly the same other than size (they are still doing that, but there are some more distinctions). And I could see it going like this-
A8 owner-"Why didn't I get an A6, it's all the same, but cheaper"
A6 owner-"I should have gotten the real A4 instead of an overpriced A4 with an A6 badge"
A4 owner-"Should have went with A3"
A3 owner-"Cool, I almost have an A8"
(A3 was little different, but you get the point).

Basically, if you buy an inexpensive model, you're going to be happy that it looks as good as the top of the line model, but if you buy the most expensive model, you're not going to be happy at all. The same design language makes for unsatisfied customers and it doesn't make you feel like you have something unique. Before S550, there was no mistaking a Mustang for another car, now for most car illiterate people it's a 2 door Fusion. Overall speaking- Ford is late to the party, and they still didn't learn on competitors mistakes.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
Yes, they might make their money back and then some, but you really think ford is looking at it like that? Large manufacturers think big, and if they don't see big profit margins they wouldn't have done it. Definitely not the sort of profit margins they can achieve with 20,000 cars.
What kind of profit margins do you think they make off of performance cars, especially one they sell for so cheap like the Mustang? How much do you think they'll make from those 250 Ford GT's they plan on selling over the course of several years? Not much...

Yes, large manufactures think big but more geared towards their fleet cars, not the performance cars. Ford makes their money from Fusions and Focus', not mustangs.

who cares what you think bottom line is mustangs, camaros, and challengers are all about the v8.
It's not about what I think, it is about the writing on the wall you refuse to read.:cheers:

The same design language makes for unsatisfied customers and it doesn't make you feel like you have something unique. Before S550, there was no mistaking a Mustang for another car, now for most car illiterate people it's a 2 door Fusion. Overall speaking- Ford is late to the party, and they still didn't learn on competitors mistakes.
I don't really see how this was a mistake from an average consumer perspective. Audi's sell hand over fist, even more so in recent years, so obviously the average consumer doesn't give a rats ass.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
What kind of profit margins do you think they make off of performance cars, especially one they sell for so cheap like the Mustang? How much do you think they'll make from those 250 Ford GT's they plan on selling over the course of several years? Not much...

Yes, large manufactures think big but more geared towards their fleet cars, not the performance cars. Ford makes their money from Fusions and Focus', not mustangs.

It's not about what I think, it is about the writing on the wall you refuse to read.:cheers:

I don't really see how this was a mistake from an average consumer perspective. Audi's sell hand over fist, even more so in recent years, so obviously the average consumer doesn't give a rats ass.
I majored in automotive engineering, and whilst i don't know exactly how ford works, i can tell you that 99.9% of manufacturers won't produce something unless there is a healthy profit margin. Exceptions to these would be the Bugatti Veyron, Lexus LFA, and more than likely the Ford GT, as these are classed as marketing cars, and used to show the world the prowess of the manufacturer.

As much as you choose not to believe it, the ford mustang is a mass produced car, and therefore ford will want to make large profit margins with it. To do this they have to keep the price reasonable, because otherwise they will price themselves in to a more premium market, and then sales will drop. Marketing 101.

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
As much as you choose not to believe it, the ford mustang is a mass produced car, and therefore ford will want to make large profit margins with it. To do this they have to keep the price reasonable, because otherwise they will price themselves in to a more premium market, and then sales will drop. Marketing 101.
Where did I say it wasn't mass produced? What I actually said is more than true; a very large majority of Ford's profits come from their mid-size sedans and economy cars, not the mustang. Any idiot can clearly see this by going to a dealership and looking around or asking a sales person. Ask how many Fusions or Focus' were sold today, then ask how many Mustangs they moved in that same day?
This can also be seen just driving around..... For every 5.0 GT you see on the road, you'll likely pass 5 or more V6/Ecoboost. For every V6/Ecoboost, you'll see 100+ Fusions and/or Focus'.

Sell a ton of cheap products with minimal gains per item typically generates more overall revenue than selling a few expensive products with higher gains per item.

Marketing 101 for mass produced goods :crazy:
Sponsored