Sponsored

Rumor - Will Mach 1 follow the GT350 in 2018?

Simon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
I don't really see how this was a mistake from an average consumer perspective. Audi's sell hand over fist, even more so in recent years, so obviously the average consumer doesn't give a rats ass.
You should have read the comments when Audi came out with that, people were hating on Audi everywhere. And trust me, many people do actually care, because honestly tell me, would you want to buy an 80k Audi A8 that looks exactly like a 36k Audi A4? Because I wouldn't. If I am spending that kind of money, at least make the car distinctive.
Sponsored

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
While people on forums, car blogs, and comments sections might have been upset; the general public didn't care or rather didn't prove to Audi they care as they keep on buying them. It's not just Audi either, all the other German autos have that issue as well, but people just keep on voting with their wallet, don't they?

I am curious about this though, 8 of 10 Porsche's look the same and have for almost 20 years now. Do they somehow get a free pass just because they are expensive and the name?

Lets be real here, people like us and car enthusiasts care. However, the average consumer doesn't care. If they did, you wouldn't see so many boring mid-size appliances on the road.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Wasn't the Mach 1 originally what we today would see as a "GT" badge? And I thought you could get a 428 Cobra Jet in a Mach 1.
Yes you could, but you could also get a 2 barrel carbed small block Mach 1.

DB83

Granny Shifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Where did I say it wasn't mass produced? What I actually said is more than true; a very large majority of Ford's profits come from their mid-size sedans and economy cars, not the mustang. Any idiot can clearly see this by going to a dealership and looking around or asking a sales person. Ask how many Fusions or Focus' were sold today, then ask how many Mustangs they moved in that same day?
This can also be seen just driving around..... For every 5.0 GT you see on the road, you'll likely pass 5 or more V6/Ecoboost. For every V6/Ecoboost, you'll see 100+ Fusions and/or Focus'.

Sell a ton of cheap products with minimal gains per item typically generates more overall revenue than selling a few expensive products with higher gains per item.

Marketing 101 for mass produced goods :crazy:
Yes you're right you didn't say anything about the mustang not being mass produced. Of course their going to make more money from the fusions and focuses!! What i'm still trying to tell you is that Ford wouldn't do R&D on something that they would only make small profits on!

I give up. Believe what you want.

Sponsored

sauerkraut

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
S550 EcoBeast
[MENTION=8278]DB83[/MENTION]

Don't get me wrong, I get what you're saying. The R&D on an engine type that's been around for such a long time can't be that high though (were talking about refinements of the Ford Modular Engines, not a ground up engine); that's all I'm really trying to get at.

I wouldn't doubt that Ford has already recovered from the Coyote after these years and its multiple applications. The Voodoo is a completely different story however.

:cheers:

cjgt350

Adrenaline Junkie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F250 Platinum 2016 GT350 TP
Read the new ZL1 was spotted testing at the 'Ring. Come on Ford I want an epic GT500!!!!!!!

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Talk about revisionist history!

13 of 14 Mustangs sold in 1969 were Mach 1s? I don't think so. Not even close.

"The first generation Mach 1 had a successful 9-year run from 1969 to 1978"? Well, the nameplate was out there for 9 years, but the Mach 1 ceased to be a performance car after 1971. The 72-73 351HO was modest at best, and after than you are talking a 2.8L Mustang II with 110 hp.

Everyone is all gooey about the Mach 1 name. I think if Ford brings content it will sell, but it will be at a $45k to $50k price point and will not take over the GT as it did 50 years ago.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Sponsored

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
If Ford made the Mach 1 replace the GT, and put in one of their whis-bang Ecoboost V6 motors, I think I could live with that. I think the GT should be V8 only, and the Mach 1 could be whatever the hell it wants to be without putting GT and V6(FI or not) in the same car. The Mach 1 could live on without "tainting the GT nameplate" and the "GT should be V8 only" crowd could maybe live with that.

Also, since the Mach 1 doesn't have as many years of being a V8 as the GT, that gives it a good enough reason/excuse to be a different kind of Mustang potentially. There will still be top dog V8 models, but the Mach 1 can be what the GT was and wasn't at the same time and win, I think?

CEHollier

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charles
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium Magnetic
Vehicle Showcase
That 10 Speed transmission is a joint effort between Ford and GM BTW.

Should be interesting to see an interchangeable transmission between two highly competitive manufacturers.
My brother in law had a Porsche. He needed a part for the car and spoke to his cousin who was a manager at the closest VW, Porsche, Audi dealership. His cousin told him get VW part number XXXXXXXXXX not Porsche number XXXXXXXXXX. He said the VW part was about 40% the price of the Porsche part. His cousin said it was the same damn part just branded VW. Gonna be funny if Ford sells transmission part X for more or less than GM.

CompO5.sl0w

GTFO_0021
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Trevor
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/PP / 2015 Jeep Rubicon
I wouldn't see the point of bringing back the Mach 1 to replace any of the trim levels. The Shelby name sells vehicles and most can relate to GT500 and GT350. I personally hope the Mach 1, Cobra R, Cobra etc. names stay dead never to be brought up again.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I say change the name of the GT Performance Package to MACH 1 and add special stripes and call it a day.

2016 GT350 Magnetic w/Black Stripes / Black Roof /Tech Package ETA Feb (US Port) under MSRP
Sponsored