Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SilverSpoon09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTP PP in CO / 08 CTS / 00 C-SVT
I kind of feel the same as Husker here. The changes with the newer model is pretty much everything that I was a bit unsatisfied about the past few years of mustang and why I decided to wait 2 years for the refresh. I was originally going to buy a 2012 Lava Red PP GT but decided to wait the time to see what the refresh was going to look like. I am still happy I did wait. There are some things that I am a bit iffy about right now. Pretty much just the front fascia and the possible weight gain but for me the changes outweigh the negative and I feel I would be a much happy owner in the long run. I absolutely hate the body colored b pillars and I think that is a major reason I felt the need to wait. If it gains 300, I will be a bit disappointing but I think there is only one person I even know that would give two shit and the rest of everyone, including myself, will love it.
Sponsored

StangFX

How long before someone on the Internet Photoshops chrome pigs to replace the Mustangs?
I would hardly call a 50lbs weight gain in the base model (if reports are true) a pig. For better suspension, better weight distribution, wider track, more power/torque and all the other improvements, 50lbs is absolutely a non-factor IMO.

Zombie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 LFG GT350

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Even the with the possible 250lbs of the premium I wouldn't worry about it. This car is going to handle better than the current model and you will notice it. Plus that just means it needs an extra 25hp to offset the weight difference. That's not much at all. It has more features and looks to have a much nicer interior than the current model.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
I would hardly call a 50lbs weight gain in the base model (if reports are true) a pig. For better suspension, better weight distribution, wider track, more power/torque and all the other improvements, 50lbs is absolutely a non-factor IMO.
50lbs was for the ecoboost and v6, the base GT, according to road and track, is 170lbs heavier.

A base 2014 is around 3620, adding 170lbs to that is pretty much 3,800. Is 3,800 a pig? Pretty sure Mustang fans called the Camaros pigs and that's about what they weighed.

Also 170lbs on a base GT, in terms of acceleration, is going to eat up a lot of the power gains. Will the 15's be any faster? Unless the gains are more than 20hp it'll probably be the same.

Sponsored

Brent302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Exactly Huskar. I have had no doubts due to this rumor.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Even the with the possible 250lbs of the premium I wouldn't worry about it. This car is going to handle better than the current model and you will notice it. Plus that just means it needs an extra 25hp to offset the weight difference. That's not much at all. It has more features and looks to have a much nicer interior than the current model.
25hp isn't much at all, but that just roughly matches the current model's performance. Not moving forward in an arms race isn't a good idea. Hopefully all this rumored talk about the new Alpha Camaro is just blowing smoke around. Either that, or these weight gain rumors are just that, rumors.

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
50lbs was for the ecoboost and v6, the base GT, according to road and track, is 170lbs heavier.

A base 2014 is around 3620, adding 170lbs to that is pretty much 3,800. Is 3,800 a pig? Pretty sure Mustang fans called the Camaros pigs and that's about what they weighed.

Also 170lbs on a base GT, in terms of acceleration, is going to eat up a lot of the power gains. Will the 15's be any faster? Unless the gains are more than 20hp it'll probably be the same.
Really? Camaro weighing 3800?? Try 4100-4200.

Want a performance car? Go easy on the options.

Want a good cruiser? Get all of the options, since weight isn't your #1 concern. The car will still have plenty of go....

And the gains will be more than 20hp for the V8..

In all seriousness, a base EcoBoost with Recaro's and PP is looking mighty tempting..

StangFX

Faster in what? Straight line? Maybe not or maybe only slightly. Who knows but you can bet Ford won't make it slower in any way. And we all know that there is more to speed (and more importantly, overall performance) than just weight and hp.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
And here I thought only women were worried about a few pounds here or there?

I get the argument, really I do, but until FORD says anything (which is WAY OVERDUE) I'm not headed to Michigan with pitchforks and torches...

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
You can probably lose 50-60lbs with lighter wheels and driveshaft -- we'll just have to wait and see what's true and what's crap. I suspect that the Steeda blog was bogus. Really though, I just hope all the performance numbers fall in line, and are better than the current car -- I think it stil may be possible even with a modest gain in weight. In order for the Mustang to survive, it really does have to lose weight and become more fuel efficient though. Failure to do so makes me scared for the breed -- look at some of the hybrid supercars like the Porsche 918 are doing though? Oh the times, they are a changin'...

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Really? Camaro weighing 3800?? Try 4100-4200.

Want a performance car? Go easy on the options.

Want a good cruiser? Get all of the options, since weight isn't your #1 concern. The car will still have plenty of go....

And the gains will be more than 20hp for the V8..

In all seriousness, a base EcoBoost with Recaro's and PP is looking mighty tempting..
Not exactly, just around 3,800lbs. Curb weight for a 14 SS is 3908lbs. If these Mustangs come in right at 3,800lbs, and 3,900lbs is a "pig" what does that make the Mustang? You're splitting hairs at that point, you're pretty much the same weight.

DiPsTiCk

CrAzY dRiVeR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Mustang/64 Falcon Deluxe Station Wagon
And I saw some mention of 12 way (or whatever it is) power seats....How weak. Do people really need that? I set my seat once (yes it is power) and that's it. I never change it really. It does have the two memorized settings which is a nice feature for me and my wife depending who drives it, but if I had a performance/sports car it would be the thing I could easily do without to save weight. Again although my car has it and I like having it, I have always thought power seats were overrated. Never bothered me to adjust manually. Power windows and locks, now we're talking a no brainer...

What kind of weight do these complex multi-way power seats add?
I'm with you.

My weekend warrior is a high performance 68. Manual everything. Windows, wing windows, seats, no AC...

I really could care less about heated and cooled power seats. I have the ability to adjust a seat all on my own thank you. Just more stuff that adds weight and more stuff to go wrong. Don't care for all the navigation stuff either. My phone can do all that IF I ever even need it!!!

Being 54 it's amazing how I have managed to get by all these years without all this extra high tech stuff (sarcasm off).

About the only thing I care for is power windows and door locks, AC, security system, cruise and a pretty good stereo system. Doesn't even have to be Ford's best one.

My DD is a 2000 cougar. Doesn't have half the stuff all the newer cars come with and it's served me fine. If I get lost I just pull out my phone and that settles that.

Sure hope all this talk about 250 pound weight gain for the GT is off base.

Come on Ford. Way past time to respond to potential customers. Many of which are faithful and have been brand loyal to you for years...

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Faster in what? Straight line? Maybe not or maybe only slightly. Who knows but you can bet Ford won't make it slower in any way. And we all know that there is more to speed (and more importantly, overall performance) than just weight and hp.
There sure are, unfortunately for the possibly much heavier new Mustang, most people don't autocross their cars and won't notice the increase in handling. It'll feel better and ride better no doubt, but for the vast majority of drivers and instances, this car very well might not be an upgrade at all as far as acceleration goes.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing, but when you're in a constant arms race with several other competitors sitting still isn't the best tactic. To me acceleration is a pretty big deal, so this isn't good news for me. For everyone else who doesn't care as much, awesome. This car will probably pan out very well for you.

S550guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Curb weight for an 14 SS is 3908lbs. If these Mustangs come in right at 3,800lbs, and 3,900lbs is a "pig" what does that make the Mustang? You're splitting hairs at that point, you're pretty much the same weight.
huh... the one I weighed must have been loaded with options or something. It was closer to 4100 I believe.

In any case, the '15 will be considered a pig on a diet then :)

Seriously though, I have confidence that the aftermarket, as well as future generations of the S550 Mustang platform will more than address the potential weight issues at launch.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.