Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/news/2015-ford-mustang-will-be-heavier

The Mustang GT Premium, the heaviest possible trim package, will top out at roughly 250 pounds heavier than the 2014 car.

Volume models equipped with a V6 or the EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine are likely to be around 50 pounds heavier than this year’s model, while a base GT will gain around 170 pounds.

That fact that Steeda and R&T are posting information that does not match up with each other sums up the internet echo chamber we have today with news and rumors. Everyone (including major media outlets) wants to be first. You cannot believe it until you hear it from the manufacturer themselves in an official press release or some official documentation. I am waiting to hear from Ford because clearly these guys are going on rumors. How many times have we seen not just with cars, but with actual news events "inside sources" turn out to be 100% wrong?

All that said it is possible Ford is trickling this news out on purpose via these third parties...For either misinformation (which would be good) or to lessen the blow of when they announce the bad news themselves in which case one of the sources who are leaking these rumors will be proven correct. I agree the longer Ford remains quiet on the HP and weight front the more there is to be worried about. You'd think they;d be shouting about weight loss (or staying at weight) from the rooftops, along with the power gains. The one thing we should all remember is that they are on the record, multiple times, stating that the GT with PP beats a Boss 302 around the track. IRS plays a part in that, but no way if the car is 200-300 lbs heavier and doesn't have a boatload more power is it beating the BOSS, imo.... We'll see.
Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
hopefully all that extra weight is in the heated and cooled seats because I ordered the recaros ;P
Well the premium auto brings the sub-woofer in the truck and the amp. Add in the heated/cooled seats and thats more.

Add in the spare (if you get one) and that's more weight.

There are lots of little things that add up.

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I will definitely be rocking the EB and only a lease. I believe Ford will HAVE to counter GM with the Camaro in 2016. The only way to do that is to loose weight or go bigger on HP in the GT, which might mean a whole new engine.

Either way, it appears the first year is going to be a pig.

This kind of confirms what Motor Trend said about driving them in there little test.

Sponsored

crazyfastfreddy

This is saying that the 2015 GT will be around 237 LBS HEAVIER than the 2015 V6/EB. Unless I am reading this wrong..... How is that possible?
yep there is no way a base gt will weigh 237 more than a base v6. im calling b.s.

RevvdMedia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
My speculation:

Boss 302 = 444hp / 380lb/ft @ 3616lbs
'15 GT Premium PP = 455hp / 405lb/ft @ 3870lbs

This is assuming the PP out-handles the Boss 302. If it doesn't out-handle substantially, then assume more power.

OR

These rumors are floating because someone we want answers from Ford, so why not start some harsh rumors to get them talking?

Fox9350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1993 5.0 GT (former car)
Well the premium auto brings the sub-woofer in the truck and the amp. Add in the heated/cooled seats and thats more.

Add in the spare (if you get one) and that's more weight.

There are lots of little things that add up.

And I saw some mention of 12 way (or whatever it is) power seats....How weak. Do people really need that? I set my seat once (yes it is power) and that's it. I never change it really. It does have the two memorized settings which is a nice feature for me and my wife depending who drives it, but if I had a performance/sports car it would be the thing I could easily do without to save weight. Again although my car has it and I like having it, I have always thought power seats were overrated. Never bothered me to adjust manually. Power windows and locks, now we're talking a no brainer...

What kind of weight do these complex multi-way power seats add?

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
For me yes, once you start adding weight, the fun factor from the engine overrides everything. the reason I bought my 13 was because it was lighter and more nimble than the other two makers. Weight is a deal breaker for me.
Yes its an acceptable compromise and you're OK with it?

If the 15 is indeed 2-300lbs heavier but is faster and handles better than the camaro, challenger, and even boss, does it really matter that its heavier than the '14?

Travbedaman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT DIB Prem
The article has been pulled from road and track. It is still showing on a web search for the link, but the site says it does not exist.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
The article has been pulled from road and track. It is still showing on a web search for the link, but the site says it does not exist.
Hmmmm.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
"We are sorry but the page you are looking for can not be found at this time."

That didn't take long. Would love to be a fly on the wall at Ford HQ today.

likeaboss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Corvette Z51
If Ford doesn't drop some weight and power numbers soon this rumored weight gain is going to sour a lot of potential buyers. Even if none of this weight gain stuff ends up being true the damage will have already been done. In today's world of fast flowing information what's fact and perceived reality are two different things.

J.Darcy

Lol so they added 20 more pounds to the estimates for V6 and EB.

"The Mustang GT Premium, the heaviest possible trim package, will top out at roughly 250 pounds heavier than the 2014 car.
Volume models equipped with a V6 or the EcoBoost turbocharged four-cylinder engine are likely to be around 50 to 70 pounds heavier than this year’s model, while a base GT will gain around 170 pounds."

The huge difference in GT and base model weight still doesn't make sense to me.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.