Sponsored

Rumor: Steeda Blog - 2015 Mustang Weight Gain (Updated with Steeda's Response)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
huh... the one I weighed must have been loaded with options or something. It was closer to 4100 I believe.

In any case, the '15 will be considered a pig on a diet then :)

Seriously though, I have confidence that the aftermarket, as well as future generations of the S550 Mustang platform will more than address the potential weight issues at launch.
Sadly I don't, there wasn't much you could do to the current generation to lose weight. I think even a tubular k-member only saved like 25-30lbs. You could potentially lose some weight, but it was pricey. Lighter racing rims, aluminum drive shaft, rear seat delete, and tubular k-member probably saved a smidge over 100lbs - and all of that combined wasn't cheap. You probably saved a little by getting an aftermarket exhaust, but that wasn't a whole lot either. Maybe a total of 130lbs.
Sponsored

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
Ford has two options to make the car lighter in the face of ever tightening CAFE and safety requirements. They can either A) make the car smaller or B) start using more lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, urethane, and make the unibody out of an aluminum alloy or some other lighter-weight alloy. The former makes the car less live-able as a family car, the latter makes it more expensive. The technology will trickle down to the mustang, it will just be among the last to get it.

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Ford has two options to make the car lighter in the face of ever tightening CAFE and safety requirements. They can either A) make the car smaller or B) start using more lightweight materials such as carbon fiber, fiberglass, urethane, and make the unibody out of an aluminum alloy or some other lighter-weight alloy. The former makes the car less live-able as a family car, the latter makes it more expensive. The technology will trickle down to the mustang, it will just be among the last to get it.
Very true, it is tougher and tougher to shed weight. Hopefully this trend will also continue for our competition, if everyone else is getting fatter and fatter the mustang will still keep its appeal in that area.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
--
Enough of this. Thread has been cleaned up.

Infractions and account suspensions will be handed out if there is further name calling, insults, trolling etc.

Gman11Gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
huh... the one I weighed must have been loaded with options or something. It was closer to 4100 I believe.

In any case, the '15 will be considered a pig on a diet then :)

Seriously though, I have confidence that the aftermarket, as well as future generations of the S550 Mustang platform will more than address the potential weight issues at launch.

I don't think you will find one stickered 4100. Your are thinking of the Challenger. Even with the sunroof or vert, it doesn't weight that much. The SS should be around 3950.

This really doesn't matter, in 2016 the Camaro is going on the Alpha. It will indeed be much lighter, faster and more nimble. It will most likely put Ford in a position to up the power and go on a diet.

Sponsored

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
I don't think you will find one stickered 4100. Your are thinking of the Challenger. Even with the sunroof or vert, it doesn't weight that much. The SS should be around 3950.

This really doesn't matter, in 2016 the Camaro is going on the Alpha. It will indeed be much lighter, faster and more nimble. It will most likely put Ford in a position to up the power and go on a diet.
I understand the platform itself is much lighter, but isn't the Camaro keeping the same dimensions? I heard the design is just an evolution of what's out there right now. If so I wonder how much lighter it will end up being.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
I still can't understand why anybody would ever order a car without knowing the specs beforehand. I guess some people just have to be "first".

Seth@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Hello everyone

Based on our experience working with IRS mustangs in the past we estimated what the weight addition will be. In addition current industry trends with new cars show additional weight being added for various new safety and comfort features.

More fuel for the weight gain/loss discussion here.

http://www.steeda.com/blog/2014/05/2015-mustang-product-development-update/

"Our work is cut out for us because unbeknown to most Mustang aficionados (and not “officially” confirmed by Ford for obvious reasons), the 2015 Mustang ended up gaining 200-300 pounds in this remake – and with weight being the “enemy of performance”, there are plenty of challenges needed to ensure that the 2015 iteration of America’s favorite Pony Car isn’t left at the starting line spinning its wheels against the competition."

It's hard exactly to know whether to take the information seriously or not. What do you all think?

jjw

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.shelbyparts.com
Vehicle(s)
'19 PP2, 05 STI 475whp, 04 cayenne turbo, Shelbys
Based on our experience working with IRS mustangs in the past we estimated what the weight addition will be. In addition current industry trends with new cars show additional weight being added for various new safety and comfort features.
Lol :headbonk:

All this over someone's estimate.

Sponsored

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Taneras

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Auto 3.55 GT
Thank you Seth for weighing in!

But forgive me when I say I hope yall are wrong and it comes in lighter. Nothing personal of course. :p

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
I still can't understand why anybody would ever order a car without knowing the specs beforehand. I guess some people just have to be "first".
Maybe Some People care about More than Just Spec's. Most people buy a car purely based on Looks Alone.

Dyno

I don't see what the big deal is unless they were non refundable deposits. If they dont like the specs they don't have to go through with it. If they do, then they are first in line. What is there to lose?
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.