Sponsored

Rock causes damage to CF wheel

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
So about a week ago I was driving out of my parking lot and as I was rolling about 3-5 mph and making a slight left turn I noticed a loud noise like I flipped a big rock up. Move to today I was getting ready to merge on to a parkway and from a stop I start moving while turning slightly right. I hear a loud grinding rubbing/noise. First thought was omg I curbed my wheels. I pull over down the road and saw no curb rash. Wow. Relief. Then I look at my passenger front wheel and see white dust, then see the about 1/8 wide gash all the way around the inside of the wheel in the center. So apparently a rock or something got stuck between the caliper and the wheel. Wow.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Bummer, sorry to hear....

People laugh, but one of the first things I did was swap out my CF to 6gr r spec. I'll save the CF for the track.

OP
OP
Tflong24

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
I will get a pic when I get home. This happened on the way to the gym. So I'm trying to work out the frustration. The wheel is fine structurally, and visually only noticeable with a close look. But damn.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

People laugh, but one of the first things I did was swap out my CF to 6gr r spec. I'll save the CF for the track.
Who would laugh at that sensible idea?

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tflong24

Tflong24

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

I am actually in the process of that, just haven't decided which wheel and tire setup I want. Is also want off the Cups for the street. Looks like I better hurry.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Who would laugh at that sensible idea?
I was heckled for that recently. And the guy who did it was an ass. If you care, I will find the thread. I think it was the carbon fiber anti theft thread.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I was heckled for that recently. And the guy who did it was an ass. If you care, I will find the thread. I think it was the carbon fiber anti theft thread.
Don't waste your time, better they be forgotten. Your method is the only method I'd feel comfortable driving an R around town and parking it in public places.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
This is why I can see 20's on the next Mustang top dog variant.

Sponsored

teamsketch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350R
OP, sorry to hear what happened. Definitely a bummer.

I still can't decide if I am going to use the CF wheels for the street or the track. Was planning on getting another set of wheels for the street and only use the CF for the track. However, last track day a 997 GTS spun out in front of me and did some wheel damage when it went off track. Decision, decisions...

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
that blows man, sorry to hear

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I think it has more to do with the tires than anything else. They throw rocks up into the car and they bounce back into the barrel.

Switched tires - PS4S - good to go :) I prefer the CF wheels on the car - part of the package for me. I never leave the car anywhere so theft isn't much of a concern. I'm pretty good at not scrubbing curbs...if they ever start looking crappy, I'll get them scuffed and painted.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Zitrosounds

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Harold
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350R/16 GT350TP/15 GT-PP/12 GT-PP
Very common! There is very little room in either wheel of the 350 in the front. Both my R and my track pack have marks from rocks.
Sponsored