Sponsored

People are Jerks

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
A replacement door lock cylinder means a different key. Which means the original key will obviously not open the pass. door.

2) settle for having a different key for the pass. side lock (or just give up on using a key on that side) * This may be problematic; it may ybe tricky to source one new cylinder from a dealer. May be worthwhile to grab one from the recycler.
Can't a locksmith re-pin the replacement cylinder so that it can use the original key?
Sponsored

OP
OP

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Try for the dummy filler I mentioned. It'll retain the painted cap and cost a fraction of the alternative!
No idea where to look, but I'll try. Thanks.

This is what it looks like when a small slide hammer with a sheet metal screw in the end is used to gain entry.

To answer your question. Your Ford dealer can order replacement parts for the car. I would remove the door panel and see how extensive the damage is or if other interior door parts are required.
From my son's comments, I don't think they got in.

Yeah. It's going to cost him more than he is thinking it will right now. Probably enough to get insurance involved.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Can't a locksmith re-pin the replacement cylinder so that it can use the original key?
Hmm. Yes I thought of that, but I am not qualified to answer. 'Probably worth a cuppla phone calls to see, though. It would solve a lot of the problem!

And...

I would strongly suggest NOT removing the door panel and/or tinkering with things at this stage. The latch assembly is held in position with an array of odd screws, bolts and clips. Further, there is a spring-loaded mechanism inside the latch that is tied to the securing mechanism for the key cylinder. If you've never done it before, I wouldn't start now. It can be a b**ch to put back together.

(Removing the panel will reveal absolutely nothing that you can see. If there is damage -- and I'd say it's 80% likely -- it'll mean a new latch assembly for sure...at which time you can decide whether you wanna DIY or have the pros do it)

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
Your son can't handle such a thing on his own? No insurance?
Maybe they were driving the car when this happened. I know if something happens to my car when my parents are driving it they will pay for it. Just like if I was driving one of their cars and something happened I would pay for it.

Sponsored

tcman54

Stanghead
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
All these people calling other people jerks reminds me of the great line from Seinfeld, "The jerk store called and they are running out of you", lol.

TC :D

Anthony 05 GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT, 2015 Mustang GT Premium
^That was a funny show. ''I had sex with your wife'' and the guy's wife was in a coma or something.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Might be a better idea to replace BOTH door locks. Unless the passenger side is rattling around in the door, that means that somebody is out there right now with your cars' passenger lock having a key made for it. Which means they can come back and open the driver side with no damage to the vehicle.

I'd replace both locks with a new key.

Sponsored

FIVE_LITER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP Competition Orange
I thought only the drivers side had the lock cylinder?

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
People are arseholes - sorry that this happened to your son.

Also - the reflection in the pic reveals what looks like a monkey standing on your head.

It's times like this that a Trunk Monkey would have come in handy.

Good luck!

OP
OP

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
So. The lock cover arrived today and the dealership is painting it at no cost to him as they already had a paint job going in the same color. Nice.

Also, the service manager told him that he was lucky, that there is no external lock on the passenger side, just the cover. From looking at pics of the cover I believe him, the cover just pops right into the hole on the passenger side. Good to know.

WaltA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang GT Convertible
I thought only the drivers side had the lock cylinder?
Also, the service manager told him that he was lucky, that there is no external lock on the passenger side, just the cover. From looking at pics of the cover I believe him, the cover just pops right into the hole on the passenger side. Good to know.
So, Ford goes thru the cost of putting an unnecessary hole in the passenger door? Their solution is to make a cover to plug the hole, rather than simply stop putting the hole there in the first place? :headbonk:
Sponsored