Sponsored

People are Jerks

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Apparently someone's passenger side door lock broke and they needed a cheap replacement. Either that or they were trying to break into the car? I have no idea how they managed to get the part out of the door.

This is my son's '15 GT. I'll see about ordering the parts for him. Anyone know if the door can still lock in this condition?

It's a big pic, so I'm just going to post a link: http://chattypics.com/files/stolen_lock_kjlydn7nwz.jpg
Sponsored

GMB Racing

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT, 16 Escape, 21 F250 (all Ruby Red)
Vehicle Showcase
that wasn't a stolen lock that's how the punch the locks to steal things

Wriggly

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Porsche 718 GTS
I love the thread title. That was a real revelation. :D Sorry your kids car got damaged. Thankfully it doesn't look like they damaged the sheet metal.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Your son can't handle such a thing on his own? No insurance?

Sponsored

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
Why you gotta be a dick? None of your business as to why he is asking for his son. Maybe that is not your intent but it reads like it.

I have no pertinent information about the OPs question. I like the GIF you posted on the electric blanket though. Surely that poster was joking.

VooDooDaddy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Think DEDUCTIBLE....

Most people have at least a $500 deductible concerning the comprehensive portion of their policy which would negate filing a claim??

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
that wasn't a stolen lock that's how the punch the locks to steal things
How does that work?

And I don't understand how there isn't any sheet-metal damage unless someone was being extremely careful which is not expected of the kind of person who would do that.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Unfortunately the issue may be more complicated than the pass. door cylinder.

A replacement door lock cylinder means a different key. Which means the original key will obviously not open the pass. door. Which could mean that the driver's door cylinder and the trunk cylinder must also be changed. And if the ignition is not PTS...:doh:

This may end up being somewhat involved (and pricey!)

BUT...

I can think of three options that may lessen the impact:

1) see if the pass. door cylinder can be replaced with a dummy plug. They exist for sure - I've seen them - but not sure if applicable to this car.

2) settle for having a different key for the pass. side lock (or just give up on using a key on that side) * This may be problematic; it may ybe tricky to source one new cylinder from a dealer. May be worthwhile to grab one from the recycler.

3) if the ignition is PTS, then a pair of new key cylinders -- or three, counting the trunk -- may not be too pricey.

Depending upon which alternative you choose, there will be a few bucks in labor costs, unfortunately. Doors & trunk only are not too bad; the repairs can be completed without removing the door panels, then all you'll need is a new cap (painted) If it's the ignition too...

The bottom line remains the same, though:

Repeated and painful kicks to the head of the actors. Sorry this happened to your family.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Think DEDUCTIBLE....

Most people have at least a $500 deductible concerning the comprehensive portion of their policy which would negate filing a claim??
Repairing that properly will cost way more than $500.

OP
OP

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
He says that the door still locks and unlocks properly with the key fob and the interior buttons. I'm thinking the part that was pulled is simply the key lock and not the actual locking mechanism for the door. If he didn't need something to attach the painted cover to, I'd say skip the key lock.

Classy. He has insurance and is working and going to college. I just want to help him out.

ronemca

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
2016 P/EB w PP
Yes - the rotating cylinder is separate from the mechanism that actually locks the latch.

Try for the dummy filler I mentioned. It'll retain the painted cap and cost a fraction of the alternative!

Sig556

White18
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2024 GT Premium / Iconic Silver 10 Speed Auto
Apparently someone's passenger side door lock broke and they needed a cheap replacement. Either that or they were trying to break into the car? I have no idea how they managed to get the part out of the door.

This is my son's '15 GT. I'll see about ordering the parts for him. Anyone know if the door can still lock in this condition?

This is what it looks like when a small slide hammer with a sheet metal screw in the end is used to gain entry.

To answer your question. Your Ford dealer can order replacement parts for the car. I would remove the door panel and see how extensive the damage is or if other interior door parts are required.
Sponsored