Sponsored

NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
For someone without a Sync 3 car how difficult is it to just install an aftermarket headunit (with android auto) and integrate all the steering wheel controls?

I haven't installed a radio in a car since 2003 so I'm a bit out of the loop haha.

You're out of luck for now.. you would be better off just upgrading to sync 3.. you can do it..
Sponsored

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
You're out of luck for now.. you would be better off just upgrading to sync 3.. you can do it..
* at significant cost and effort

angermgmt14

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium--Oxford White--A6
Wait, so I paid $795 for Nav. and with Android Auto I don't need to have it to use Nav.? WTF Ford, why didn't you tell us '16 Sync 3 buyers this info before I wasted $795? I want my monies back, Ford. :ninja: (this reply is total sarcasm)
If Ford has the 5.2 Voodoo engine in the '17 model year, I'm gonna go ape-sh&t. (more sarcasm)
I usually am not one to criticize other people about what they buy or how they feel about stuff, but, if you don't like what Ford did, they will gladly take your '15 back at half price and sell you a shiny new '16 Sync 3 between MSRP and invoice. Move on, enjoy your car!
At least you didn't get LS1GTO'd :lol:

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
Do we know when the upgrade software will be available for those of us who were early adopters of sync 3?

Sponsored

350Mike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1967 C10 2021 GT PP M6
Wait, so I paid $795 for Nav. and with Android Auto I don't need to have it to use Nav.? WTF Ford, why didn't you tell us '16 Sync 3 buyers this info before I wasted $795? I want my monies back, Ford. :ninja: (this reply is total sarcasm)
If Ford has the 5.2 Voodoo engine in the '17 model year, I'm gonna go ape-sh&t. (more sarcasm)
I usually am not one to criticize other people about what they buy or how they feel about stuff, but, if you don't like what Ford did, they will gladly take your '15 back at half price and sell you a shiny new '16 Sync 3 between MSRP and invoice. Move on, enjoy your car!
At least you didn't get LS1GTO'd :lol:
Magneride will prob be on the 17MY too! :lol: but I'm serious, well maybe was planned for 18MY but will come early.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Do we know when the upgrade software will be available for those of us who were early adopters of sync 3?
From what they have said is as of now if you have a car with Sync 3 it will be upgraded to work with car play and Google auto

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
From what they have said is as of now if you have a car with Sync 3 it will be upgraded to work with car play and Google auto
Right........... But WHEN will the update be available which will include the CarPlay? :D:)

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
Right........... But WHEN will the update be available which will include the CarPlay? :D:)
Cars won't start shipping with it until 2017 year model escapes.. So I wouldn't hold your breath.. It's going to be mid to late 2017.. To me I am shocked how far behind ford is with this.. But it is coming

eric n

HNIC/Head Ninja in Charge
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ericnolan.com
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
16 Shelby RR B&W stripes GT350 G0249
I would assume that the 2017 escapes will be shipping by the 4th quarter of 2016. Perhaps I'm wrong.

Sponsored

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500
I would assume that the 2017 escapes will be shipping by the 4th quarter of 2016. Perhaps I'm wrong.
That could be..Ive seen them start as soon as may sometimes.. no telling with ford..they are fairly inconsistent ...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Cars won't start shipping with it until 2017 year model escapes.. So I wouldn't hold your breath.. It's going to be mid to late 2017.. To me I am shocked how far behind ford is with this.. But it is coming
So would early 16 owners be expecting some type of software update release around same time period for our existing SYNC3 platform?

I'm also surprised Ford is behind on getting the CarPlay out - Chevy has been advertising in that one Malibu commercial that they already have CarPlay. Maybe Chevy was able to fork over Contract cash quicker than Ford...

Dirtyblueshirt

Award Winning Taste™
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Aaron
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
So would early 16 owners be expecting some type of software update release around same time period for our existing SYNC3 platform?

I'm also surprised Ford is behind on getting the CarPlay out - Chevy has been advertising in that one Malibu commercial that they already have CarPlay. Maybe Chevy was able to fork over Contract cash quicker than Ford...
All 2016 owners with Sync3 will receive an update "later this year" to support CarPlay and Android Auto.

Being 'behind' doesn't mean much, really. It's all a matter of your programmers, time, effort, and bug testing. Being deployed +/- 1-2 years of each other for auto manufacturers is actually quite an accomplishment.

OEMRadio

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT500

Yes.. Ford is right now saying that there will be an update pushed out to enable car play..

I just think ford was worried more about getting a new platform out there.. they were being hammered about the previous gen and just wanted the new gen to be as smooth as possible without offering too much that could go wrong..

QNX is doing the new platform and they had to adapt to a lot of what was already there from the previous system in terms of communication protocols.. so if they could do what they did for other companies and just implement everything they would be farther ahead.. They do have it working.. they are just testing the most they can..

Jeffola

Automotive Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Question for OEM Radio

Yes.. Ford is right now saying that there will be an update pushed out to enable car play..

I just think ford was worried more about getting a new platform out there.. they were being hammered about the previous gen and just wanted the new gen to be as smooth as possible without offering too much that could go wrong..

QNX is doing the new platform and they had to adapt to a lot of what was already there from the previous system in terms of communication protocols.. so if they could do what they did for other companies and just implement everything they would be farther ahead.. They do have it working.. they are just testing the most they can..
I have two 2015 Fords, both with MFT, I want to eventually upgrade both. One is my 2015 Mustang, not much worry there. The other, a 2015 Edge sport has a screen on the right side of the cluster, will the data still propagate there from the new Sync3? Who might know this? Would an aftermarket upgrade from the company in Florida be "eligible" for upgrade?
Sponsored