NEW SYNC 3.0 Build 20204 Nav Android Auto/Apple Carplay

offroadkarter

Threads
Reaction score
Website
offroadkarter.smugmug.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Really?? That is wild why did they not allow an update from 3 to 3.4? What model did they start introducing 3.4? And what is better about it? I’m sorry I know that’s lots of questions.

I found a 2016 vin number and it says

this is all so compliacted

For mustangs, 2018 is when Sync 3.4 was added. IIRC the reasoning from Ford was they felt the APIM's used in the 16-17 cars wasn't powerful enough to reliably run it. As you can see from Cyanlabs it is possible to put 3.4 on a 3.0 APIM, I haven't personally done it (yet).

3.4 is just a newer/smoother interface over 3.0, I use it in a 2019 F150 and still have 3.0 in my 16 GT. Since you're looking to jump from Sync 2, it'd just make sense to try and go as new as you can (so an APIM from a 2018-2023 Mustang). I would wager within a year we're going to start seeing people retrofit Sync 4 into older cars, but AFAIK it hasn't been done yet.
Sponsored

TexasRebel

Gearshifter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 YZ GTPP - PP2
One thing about the 16 & 17 APIM is there were nav & non-nav versions.
The non-nav version had a bare minimum of space and was unreliable when it came to updating. From what I can tell, the developers did all of their testing on the nav versions and just called it good, leaving us non-nav folk out in the cold.

To do regular updates to a 16 non-nav APIM you would have to butcher the update to do nothing but remove the old firmware and intentionally fail the update. This would free up enough memory to copy the firmware update over and install it. There was simply not enough room to unpack the update while all of the older firmware was present.

I suspect any attempt to run SYNC 3.4 on a 16-17 non-nav box will be futile.

Fishels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT premium performance package.
One thing about the 16 & 17 APIM is there were nav & non-nav versions.
The non-nav version had a bare minimum of space and was unreliable when it came to updating. From what I can tell, the developers did all of their testing on the nav versions and just called it good, leaving us non-nav folk out in the cold.

To do regular updates to a 16 non-nav APIM you would have to butcher the update to do nothing but remove the old firmware and intentionally fail the update. This would free up enough memory to copy the firmware update over and install it. There was simply not enough room to unpack the update while all of the older firmware was present.

I suspect any attempt to run SYNC 3.4 on a 16-17 non-nav box will be futile.
Anyway to tell what APIM I am buying second hand? They all say 3.4 but getting stuck with a non navigational model that claims to be 3.4 sounds useless.