Sponsored

My prediction for the engine

Swamp Yankee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Keep Liberty
I suspect that it will be substantially more than an appearance package. Ford already has the California Special to fill that role. I think the engine will be a cross plane crank V8 that has a full rack of additional performance goodies to set it significantly above and apart from the Coyote in the GT. Maybe to include some form of forced induction. I'd love to see twin turbos. I think it will also have light weighting features and standard magnetic dampers and enhanced suspension and brakes and cooling systems along the lines of the GT350.

Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
Power stroke.

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
What's the problem with Direct Injection?
This is a technology that has it ALL: power, torque, emissions, mileage, drivability - everything. Look what it did for the GM 6.2 - a huge increase in HP and torque. And the tuners over there are taking that engine *way* up - either naturally aspirated or supercharged. DI is making it possible there.
Ford's excuses in the initial Coyote press interviews for not including it when the engine first came out were pure BS: it was purely a matter of engineering cost and time to develop. The heads then even accommodated where it would be mounted.
And misconceptions about fouling injectors and all the rest is old news and dead... the entire world is moving everything to DI. Even the base Focus 2 liter, and absolutely all of the EcoBoost engines.
This is a technology we all want, it's one we'll learn about and exploit. Just as P.I. was in it's day.
As for the 3.5 EB... the upcoming high output 3.5EB in the Raptor is a terrific piece of work - look what it just did (look up the press announcement that just came out). Couple that with the GT350's new transmission (so much better than the POS in the GT) and the new 10-speed auto (which is getting rave reviews behind the new ZL1 Camaro) and you've got something that can take the Mustang further in CAFE. And if you haven't spent time with an unnaturally aspirated 6 cylinder (as I have with a Supra TT) you have really missed out on something phenomenal. It's just such a better all-around driving experience than a naturally aspirated V-8.
As for CAFE, we're stuck with it, like it or not, and it's getting harder and harder to sell mainstream V-8s. The more high-MPG engines that Ford can sell, the more V-8s Ford can mainstream.
And look at the F-150 for an example. Drive the 3.5EB sometime - it's a far more interesting drive than the 5 liter engine there and it's also more popular.

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
basically clogged fuel systems and engine carbon buildup, both are kind of inevitable with this kind of technology. Awesome idea, but it comes with a price.

Last edited:

Sponsored

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
You'd need to dramatically reduce the CR, the Voodoo is already 12.5:1.

A TT 5.2 CPC motor would be better than a TT Voodoo (5.2 FPC)
I think he is implying the overall engine design.

Of course compression would be factored in.

Lucky7s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2012
Why is compression a factor?

I was looking at some other boosted FPC motors (albeit small 2.2L motors) that has 12:1 compression and they are running 14 psi of boost with no issues?

Hell LHTperformance has a boosted S2000 pushing 449WHP/287WTQ out of a 2.2L with a Centrifical supercharger with 93 octane fuel. 463HP on 100 Octane. I bet they could hit like 470-480 with E85!

Air to fuel ratio and timing is key on high boost motors as well as total efficiency of the design (how much the air is heated prior to hitting the engine). They are running at are really safe 11:1 on this video.

[ame]

I wonder if you could use that type of supercharger (the larger model) on the GT350 and see much high gains?

They have much larger models of the Rotrex superchargers and I there is a S550 Coyete 5.0 kit already. Makes 530whp and 425tq on 91-octane through the OEM headers and exhaust!! Stock is 370whp and 361wtq.

http://cms.kraftwerksusa.com/id/992/Mustang-GT-Coyote-Supercharger-System/

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
I've driven a couple of Kraftwerks boosted S2000s on the track and they work terrifically. You have to remember that the S2000 engine is built for upper RPM breathing in a way that the Coyote/Voodoo Ford engine is not. You aren't going to get similarly proportional increases here.
That said, their air filter placement on the Coyote is just plain stupid... in traffic it will be sucking hot air. Anybody that stuck an open filter element under the hood without sealing it learned that lesson a long time ago.

Last edited:

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
4.7 ecoboost, based on the 3.5 for all! Or not really at all. I think an ecoboost V8 makes sense -- but to be a Mach, I think we need the shaker hood, and a heavy-breathing NA V8 with 500hp.

Last edited:

Lucky7s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2012
That said, their air filter placement on the Coyote is just plain stupid... in traffic it will be sucking hot air. Anybody that stuck an open filter element under the hood without sealing it learned that lesson a long time ago.
Agree 110% on the filter. I would have built a Cold air box for it like LHT performance did on that S2000.
Sponsored