Sponsored

Mustang Ecoboost Check Engine Light

fusion13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fusion
Ok I have not read thru the entire thread so I apologize I know that the 2.0l wiring harness for the focus ST caused a similar problem. There was a problem with the manufacturing process of the splicing and this would cause it to have rough idle, erratic engine characteristics, and also the car to die. Ford issued a recalled on the affected vehicles.
Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Ok I have not read thru the entire thread so I apologize I know that the 2.0l wiring harness for the focus ST caused a similar problem. There was a problem with the manufacturing process of the splicing and this would cause it to have rough idle, erratic engine characteristics, and also the car to die. Ford issued a recalled on the affected vehicles.
When you say erratic engine characteristics. Could you elaborate? I will look out for such characteristics.

fusion13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
fusion
2013 – 2014 Focus ST and Escape Wiring Harness Recall
Ford is issuing a safety recall for approximately 160,000 (actual 159,395) 2013 – 2014 Ford Focus ST and Escape vehicles with the 2.0L engine in North America. In some of the affected vehicles, there may be engine wiring harnesses with splices that were insufficiently compressed during the supplier manufacturing process. Insufficient compression in the engine wiring harness splices may cause erroneous signals to the Powertrain Control Module that may affect engine performance. This may result in an engine malfunction indicator light, reduced engine power, hesitation, other engine drivability symptoms or engine stall. Engine stalls while driving with no warning may increase the risk of a crash.
No accidents or injuries have been attributed to this condition. Dealers will replace the affected wiring splices.
Affected vehicles include certain 2013-2014 Ford Focus ST vehicles with the 2.0L engine built at Michigan Assembly Plant February 14, 2012 – October 14, 2013 and certain 2013-2014 Escape vehicles with the 2.0L engine built October 5, 2011 – April 1, 2013 at the Louisville Assembly Plant. As of July 31, 2014, approximately 133,000 of the potentially affected vehicles are in the U.S. (actual 132,868) with an additional 359 in the federalized territories. Approximately 25,400 are in Canada (actual 25,382) and 789 are in Mexico.

It was also described as shuttering and a rough idle

OP
OP
spdracer50

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
Spdracer50, I was looking through your thread and didn't see anything about the dealer checking the injectors or spark plugs. I started watching some youtube videos on random misfires and looks like the most simple thing to check is the spark plug for ignition related misfires and then for fuel-related, it would be the injectors to see if they are opening correctly, and then fuel line, etc.

Looks like your technician checked a whole bunch of electronic sensors and purge valves and stuff but I don't see anything where he replaced the spark plugs with new ones, or checked the gaps on them.

Have you/your technician tried doing anything with the plugs and coil packs? What about the injectors? Thinking about running a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaners through my tank. I'm hoping it's something real stupid and simple like cleaning out the injectors or my spark plugs are gone. hoping..
I asked them several times to check the spark plugs and the fuel injectors. They told that they did check the fist time I took it in for the CEL. They also told me they didn't find anything wrong with any of that stuff.

My next step is to take it to another larger dealer and have them diagnose it again, until I can get someone to correct the issue.

Gmacguyver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost PP
P0300 has been a plague on enthusiasts for years. Because it's not isolated to one cylinder, its usually not the common culprits: coil, plug, injector.

I see 'em when the engine is really lean. So lean it...wait for it...misfires. If it's running rough, this is probably the case. I would be interested in seeing the fuel trims to confirm.

I sticky VVT actuator could do it too. Too much overlap: misfires.

Also, just the general variance in the ignition timing parts can stack up to issues. Dunno if Ford is the same way, but GM keys their cam and crank sensors to each ECU.

It's gonna take a skilled tech or engineer to get to the bottom of it. Any messing the OP does will just make their job harder and give them reason to void the warranty.
very true

Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Going in to another dealer. Hopefully they will look at the car more thoroughly.

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I asked them several times to check the spark plugs and the fuel injectors. They told that they did check the fist time I took it in for the CEL. They also told me they didn't find anything wrong with any of that stuff.

My next step is to take it to another larger dealer and have them diagnose it again, until I can get someone to correct the issue.
Was wondering, have you tried contacting ford customer relations? I opened a case and hopefully they can send an actual ford engineer to the dealership to help.

OP
OP
spdracer50

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
Was wondering, have you tried contacting ford customer relations? I opened a case and hopefully they can send an actual ford engineer to the dealership to help.
I did contact them and opened up a case, I didn't help. It didn't make a difference at all.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
IMO I wouldn't run around to find someone to fix or fix not the car. If YOUR dealer tells you he can't fix it, I would nicely ask him to replace my car and get the CSR involved. Get also Jeff @FordService here on the side to give you a hand with it. Both of you who bought the car at the same dealership and have the same issue should get the local NEWS involved too. I am sure that the dealer won't sell good after that and thinks twice about his mechanics. Ask FORD to give you a replacement car. I have 3,000 miles on my Mustang and no engine problems at all. Panel alignments are difficult to deal with but a problem on the engine and they say they can't fix it after a couple tries - I wouldn't keep the car.

Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have discussed this Issue with both Jeff & Nikki on this forum, opened a case with Ford Customer Relations and informed Jeff and Nikki where my car is everytime it is in the dealership. No help yet.

If this does not get resolved soon, I will contact the local/national media.

IMO I wouldn't run around to find someone to fix or fix not the car. If YOUR dealer tells you he can't fix it, I would nicely ask him to replace my car and get the CSR involved. Get also Jeff @FordService here on the side to give you a hand with it. Both of you who bought the car at the same dealership and have the same issue should get the local NEWS involved too. I am sure that the dealer won't sell good after that and thinks twice about his mechanics. Ask FORD to give you a replacement car. I have 3,000 miles on my Mustang and no engine problems at all. Panel alignments are difficult to deal with but a problem on the engine and they say they can't fix it after a couple tries - I wouldn't keep the car.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
2013 – 2014 Focus ST and Escape Wiring Harness Recall
Ford is issuing a safety recall for approximately 160,000 (actual 159,395) 2013 – 2014 Ford Focus ST and Escape vehicles with the 2.0L engine in North America. In some of the affected vehicles, there may be engine wiring harnesses with splices that were insufficiently compressed during the supplier manufacturing process. Insufficient compression in the engine wiring harness splices may cause erroneous signals to the Powertrain Control Module that may affect engine performance. This may result in an engine malfunction indicator light, reduced engine power, hesitation, other engine drivability symptoms or engine stall. Engine stalls while driving with no warning may increase the risk of a crash.
No accidents or injuries have been attributed to this condition. Dealers will replace the affected wiring splices.
Affected vehicles include certain 2013-2014 Ford Focus ST vehicles with the 2.0L engine built at Michigan Assembly Plant February 14, 2012 – October 14, 2013 and certain 2013-2014 Escape vehicles with the 2.0L engine built October 5, 2011 – April 1, 2013 at the Louisville Assembly Plant. As of July 31, 2014, approximately 133,000 of the potentially affected vehicles are in the U.S. (actual 132,868) with an additional 359 in the federalized territories. Approximately 25,400 are in Canada (actual 25,382) and 789 are in Mexico.

It was also described as shuttering and a rough idle
Maybe the part number is the same for the 2.0 engines and the 2.3 engines? It wouldn't surprise me at all.

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
Could it be an issue with winter blend fuel for the Canadian car? Or maybe lower octane for the California cars? In unfamiliar with fuels in other places, but would be willing to bet a paycheck this misfire is fuel system related. It's probably only happening when cold because the fuel system has bled the pressure off.
I am filling up 91 premium at SUPERSTORE in my area. No idea where they get the fuel from. Got my car 12th of December and have no problems at all. I live 7 hours north of the US border.

IMO the Focus/Escape recall sounds to be similar to the Mustang problem. Same manufacturer maybe?:doh:

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hey all! I know a couple of you have come to me about the Check Engine light. If anyone else is having this issue (or any other issue) and plans to take it to the dealer at any point, remember to shoot me a PM. I always recommend having an issue diagnosed, even if it seems like it may be the same as someone else's. The more widespread an issue is documented, the more Ford is aware of a common concern. I'm here if you need anything!

Jeff :ford:

swiftspeed10

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Benny
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
At 180 miles my service engine soon light came on (Friday). I made an appointment for Monday to have it checked. By Sunday the light came off but I still brought it in. The techs couldn't find anything wrong with the car, and they couldn't recreate any of the issues. They suggested I keep it overnight so they could try a cold test in the morning. I told them I had no problem doing this as long as they provided a loaner car (as I must commute to work over the weekends).

They told me they had no loaners and could only get me a shuttle bus home. Obviously I couldn't do this as I need a vehicle to get to work (reliably) every day. This is why I sold my 2007 BMW and leased a new mustang, but luck it seems is not always with me. They gave me my car back and told me if the light comes on again to bring it back. 4 days later, as of yesterday, at 301 miles, the light came back on. At this point in time I am frustrated and nervous. I made an appointment to go back to see them tomorrow, but I can't go overnight without a car, and I told the service receptionist that but she rudely told me their is nothing she can do until I take the car in.

Ford service on the forums has contacted me and we have a file number open for this case...I'll keep you all posted.
Sponsored