Sponsored

Mustang Ecoboost Check Engine Light

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
There was a recall for ecoboosts earlier on due to some fuel line fire risk. I dont think that's the problem though
Sponsored

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
Spdracer50, I was looking through your thread and didn't see anything about the dealer checking the injectors or spark plugs. I started watching some youtube videos on random misfires and looks like the most simple thing to check is the spark plug for ignition related misfires and then for fuel-related, it would be the injectors to see if they are opening correctly, and then fuel line, etc.

Looks like your technician checked a whole bunch of electronic sensors and purge valves and stuff but I don't see anything where he replaced the spark plugs with new ones, or checked the gaps on them.

Have you/your technician tried doing anything with the plugs and coil packs? What about the injectors? Thinking about running a bottle of Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaners through my tank. I'm hoping it's something real stupid and simple like cleaning out the injectors or my spark plugs are gone. hoping..

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.3L Ecoboost Mustang with PP
Just got the car back. Dealership accused my OBDII scanner potentially causing the code.... Pretty pissed that the dealership had the balls to come back and say a OBDII scanner can throw a CEL, let alone a misfire.

FordServices did not contact the dealer as I was somewhat expecting. They cleared the code and told me to go back if it happens again. They didn't check any mechanical components only scanned the ECU. At this point Ford is useless to me. This is becoming a giant waste of time.

Going to throw in some fuel system cleaner and hope for the best at this point.

LeonBorden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2JZ Formula D Pro AM Cressida, 2015 EB PP
Could it be an issue with winter blend fuel for the Canadian car? Or maybe lower octane for the California cars? In unfamiliar with fuels in other places, but would be willing to bet a paycheck this misfire is fuel system related. It's probably only happening when cold because the fuel system has bled the pressure off.

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Just got the car back. Dealership accused my OBDII scanner potentially causing the code.... Pretty pissed that the dealership had the balls to come back and say a OBDII scanner can throw a CEL, let alone a misfire.

FordServices did not contact the dealer as I was somewhat expecting. They cleared the code and told me to go back if it happens again. They didn't check any mechanical components only scanned the ECU. At this point Ford is useless to me. This is becoming a giant waste of time.

Going to throw in some fuel system cleaner and hope for the best at this point.
Umm don't be to quick to get mad I myself am looking at this possibility, what what scanner interface are you using ? I'm using Octech wifi version and I was thinking it might be causing interfence because the scan tool when the car is running acts flakey kinda of a long shot but you never know

Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry but what? The OBDII was used to scan the CEL not cause the CEL. I'm not the most technical person. But i'm almost 100% sure an ODBII scanner has nothing to do with anything relating to a Misfire

Umm don't be to quick to get mad I myself am looking at this possibility, what what scanner interface are you using ? I'm using Octech wifi version and I was thinking it might be causing interfence because the scan tool when the car is running acts flakey kinda of a long shot but you never know

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
Could it be an issue with winter blend fuel for the Canadian car? Or maybe lower octane for the California cars? In unfamiliar with fuels in other places, but would be willing to bet a paycheck this misfire is fuel system related. It's probably only happening when cold because the fuel system has bled the pressure off.
Well this is happening in Canada where it's ice cold and in California where it was 94 degrees a couple days ago. I tried Chevron fuel with 91 (as it's the highest) and spdracer50 has tried both 91 and 87.

Not to mention this car is said to be ok with running 87 to 93, so still a problem if it was fuel related. But I dont know..

Roidrage, damn that sucks. FordService didn't relay any message to the dealership service manager? The dealership didn't pull your spark plugs and check the gaps, test for fuel injector stuff, etc.?

I'm going to try fuel cleaner also, cheap $8 fix if it works.

I know there are ecoboosts that have 4000+ miles on it and that's great and all but there are 3 confirmed ecoboosts here alone on this thread that have a pretty shitty and frustrating issue. Does it mean you shouldn't buy one? no, but it means us unlucky fellows are dealing with an issue we shouldn't have to on a brand new car. The MAIN reason I went with a new car versus the certified pre-owned cars I was looking at was the peace of mind.

I'm hoping my dealership treats me better than yours Roidrage. I would try a different dealership and keep bringing the car back. Look into lemon laws in your area

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Canada does not have Lemon Laws, sucks. Dealership scanned ECu couldn't find anything, then call Ford Hotline (didn't do anything). Did not check a single mechanical part and claimed they did EVERYTHING they could. Then proceeded to blame my OBDII scanner and tell me to come back again if it happens again. I opened a case with Ford Customer Relations. They were much more helpful and said if anything they would send out a ford mechanic if this gets escalated anymore.

FordService said that their Canadian Rep Nikki (FordServiceCA) was aware and would contact me this morning. They did not contact the dealership which I gave them the information nor did they contact me back.

Useless.

Well this is happening in Canada where it's ice cold and in California where it was 94 degrees a couple days ago. I tried Chevron fuel with 91 (as it's the highest) and spdracer50 has tried both 91 and 87.

Not to mention this car is said to be ok with running 87 to 93, so still a problem if it was fuel related. But I dont know..

Roidrage, damn that sucks. FordService didn't relay any message to the dealership service manager? The dealership didn't pull your spark plugs and check the gaps, test for fuel injector stuff, etc.?

I'm going to try fuel cleaner also, cheap $8 fix if it works.

I know there are ecoboosts that have 4000+ miles on it and that's great and all but there are 3 confirmed ecoboosts here alone on this thread that have a pretty shitty and frustrating issue. Does it mean you shouldn't buy one? no, but it means us unlucky fellows are dealing with an issue we shouldn't have to on a brand new car. The MAIN reason I went with a new car versus the certified pre-owned cars I was looking at was the peace of mind.

I'm hoping my dealership treats me better than yours Roidrage. I would try a different dealership and keep bringing the car back. Look into lemon laws in your area

15svo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
95 gt far from stock 15 ecoboost delivered 2/9/15
925miles on my car have had the map phases 1 on the car since it had 20 miles on it no problems here car is good I drive it aggressive when I'm in it and my wife drives it gently and she drives it most of the time and still no issues it's a auto car with pp incase anyone was wondering.

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm sorry but what? The OBDII was used to scan the CEL not cause the CEL. I'm not the most technical person. But i'm almost 100% sure an ODBII scanner has nothing to do with anything relating to a Misfire
Did you have the scanner hooked up all the time and is it wireless? It's possable if it is then you could get interference is what I am saying, is it likely no but when your diagnosing a problem you need to cover your bases

Sponsored

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The scanner was only hooked up after the CEL popped up I never leave it in the car and only use it when I have a reason to, such as this case.

Did you have the scanner hooked up all the time and is it wireless? It's possable if it is then you could get interference is what I am saying, is it likely no but when your diagnosing a problem you need to cover your bases

tittermary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The scanner was only hooked up after the CEL popped up I never leave it in the car and only use it when I have a reason to, such as this case.
Ok thanks then yeah that's not going to be a reason for your misfire

Roidrage

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I wonder if reaching out to Fords Twitter account will get their attention.

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
Shouldn't this be in the issues/repairs subforum? None of this has to do w/ engine modifications...?
Sponsored