Sponsored

Mustang Ecoboost Check Engine Light

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang Ecoboost Premium PP
UPDATE: After several months and with the help of a lemon law lawyer Ford has purchased the vehicle back. :headbang:

Hi Everyone,

As many of you may know I had a check engine light pop up on my dash at about 650 miles. I only had the car for about three weeks before the CEL popped up. I took my car into Advantage Ford in Monrovia, CA to get it checked out. The first time I took it in they diagnosed the vehicle and confirmed it had a misfire. It had the following codes: P0300 and P0316.

The fix was a “misfire profile correction”. I picked up my vehicle the same day. The following morning, I received the error again. The second time, I took my vehicle back in they kept it for a week. They changed the gas in the vehicle from 91 gas to 87 and charged me for it claiming, the 91 octane was causing the issue. They changed the “Crankshaft Position Sensor” and the “Fuel Injector Pressure Sensor”. This also did not resolve the issue. After a week this is the response I got from Ford and the Dealership.

“When a 2015 Mustang with a 2.3L engine runs rough cold and sets a P0300 or P0316 without a P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304 DTC, this is a known concern that is being investigated. At this time, it is recommended to monitor OASIS for when a fix is available. The rough running after a cold start and associated check engine light will not cause damage to the engine. Therefore, please be patient for a fix.
When a P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304 DTC is present, then it is recommended to pursue normal diagnostic for that cylinder.”

Ford does not know how to fix the vehicle so they gave it back to me broken, that way I couldn’t use the Lemon Law to get a new vehicle.

Check out the documentation I got from the dealership regarding this issue.

Please pay close attention to the portion with the squiggly line next to it at the end.

How is it ok for to acknowledge a problem and not provide a fix for it or give me a new car! :shrug:

Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
spdracer50

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buyer Beware!! 2.3L Ecoboost

Buyer beware!! I’m sending out this warning for anyone who is contemplating buying a Ford Mustang 2.3L Ecoboost.
If you get a check engine light there’s a good possibility Ford won’t fix it.

Here’s the quote direct from Ford:
“When a 2015 Mustang with a 2.3L engine runs rough cold and sets a P0300 or P0316 without a P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304 DTC, this is a known concern that is being investigated. At this time, it is recommended to monitor OASIS for when a fix is available. The rough running after a cold start and associated check engine light will not cause damage to the engine. Therefore, please be patient for a fix.

When a P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304 DTC is present, then it is recommended to pursue normal diagnostic for that cylinder.”

My vehicle now runs rougher then when I dropped it off! How are we supposed to know when the codes change to P0301, P0302, P0303 or P0304 DTC, all we see is a check engine light?

Ford does not know how to fix the vehicle so they gave it back to me broken, that way I couldn’t use the Lemon Law to get a new vehicle while they figure out how to fix it or even if they fix it at all.

Thanks a lot Ford!

Here is the link to my detailed thread in Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19311

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
I'm betting they are working on a fix ASAP. They say it won't hurt to run with the check engine light on. Did the shop try resetting the code to see if it returns?

OP
OP
spdracer50

spdracer50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm betting they are working on a fix ASAP. They say it won't hurt to run with the check engine light on. Did the shop try resetting the code to see if it returns?
They reset it several times. I did a ride a ride along with the tech and saw the codes poping up on his laptop. They can't get the check engine light to go away. It keeps coming back on. The car is running rougher now than when I took it in.

Sponsored

stoli

Fat Guy Racing
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
'15 Black GT/PP
So.... They acknowledge there is an issue, the issue will not cause any damage, and they state they are working on finding a solution.

Sounds to me they are doing exactly what they should be doing. What else would you expect them to do?

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
yes it sucks. However they are working on a solution and it doesn't harm the vehicle and sounds like it goes away once warm. Again it sucks but they will find a fix quickly I'am sure. I've not had any issues at all and I don't baby it by any means ive got over 4000 miles now. Good luck hope they find a fix quickly.

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
oh yeah forgot the should of bought a v8 comment,there now thats out of the way carry on.

Wblv17

older fart
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2014 5.7HEMI Ram and 2015 eco boost race red pp
just take it back and say I can't drive it, each time make them check it into service, 3 attempts and cant/don't fix = lemon first 12months and/or 12,000 miles. File for arbitration. Take pictures and write down word for word each occurrence, and yes I really don't think Ford cares, but that's just me

Sponsored

5TAR5CR3AM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT deep impact blue
Let me get this straight. So just because you're having issues that they are having a hard time fixing you post this telling people to not to buy the ecoboost... really?!?! Like seriously. I'm gonna go trade up for a GT now just because you said we shouldn't get the ecoboost.... makes sense right?

Couple questions. Did the techs try changing spark plugs, coil packs, check for loose wires or hoses, vacuum leaks, instead of changing octane gas did they change brand, etc? Sometimes it's stupid little shit that will cause a modern internal combustion engine to act funny.

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
Still not sure why they'd drain the tank and fill it with 87.I would understand draining and filling with higher octane but lower?

davekro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Convertible, 3.7L, A/T, 051A, DIB
You can buy a code scanner for $70. You can see the codes, delete the codes, see them return. A scanner is a good tool to have and cheap. U
It works on all modern cars after a certain year ( I forget exactly).!

Papaya

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Holger
Vehicle(s)
F150 2.7 EcoBoost
I'm not sure. But I think you bought the first time a new car what is also a brand new model. Our Grand Cherokee has his 8 recall. Couple times we got a letter saying the same you are posting: "We are working on a solution. .....Please monitor it closely."
Don't buy a EcoBoost?? What about the burned out GT? Don't buy a GT too? Honestly?

dabsevo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Black
I need to chime in here as I have this same problem and my thread is a few below this one. I have currently 305 miles on my Ecoboost that I got last week and I also have the check engine light.

I believe I bought it at the same dealership that spdracer50 got his from. What a coincidence lol

Ok so I think first, there are GTs with this same problem that I've seen so it's not the ecoboost engine that's a problem. I don't know what the guy with the GT did to fix his but it was back in november and he hasn't responded to my PM.

Secondly, I haven't had the chance to troubleshoot it with a dealership and I have been corresponding with user "FordService" on here hoping to find a dealership take a look at mine. Looks like so far, Ford is stumped as to why this is happening? Spdracer50 is a few steps ahead in terms of troubleshooting than I am. I haven't taken mine in yet.

Mine doesn't run rough at all though, it runs normal I guess. I can't tell if there's any power loss or anything since I never got to go WOT due to the break-in period. but as far as starting cold, I don't have any issues.

My code is P0300 which is "random misfire" and not specific to a cylinder. I tried using better gas and I have a code reader and cleared the code. The code went away and came back after 80-100 miles.

DURING the time when it was gone, around 75 miles or so, I ran the code reader again. Since there was no check engine light I figured i'd try it anyway. There was no trouble code BUT, the EVAP monitor was not ready. It was still completing its drive cycle. So I am assuming that once the EVAP monitor became ready, that is when the dash showed a CEL. Given the fact that there are GTs with this problem and it is not limited to Ecoboosts, my uneducated guess here is that it has to do with an EVAP or emissions issue and not the engine.

Just throwing it out there. I don't know how to proceed now since if Ford is saying to wait on the fix and they're working on it, should I even bother bringing it into the dealership? I don't want them to mess with the car and hold it for weeks, it's my daily driver.

EDIT: Spdracer50, can you send this to whoever is that Ford that you are talking to? http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showpost.php?p=370444&postcount=30
He said he fixed it and I also had an inkling it was EVAP related. Maybe they can check that.

EDIT2: Dude with a GT that had the same problem and code P0300. Hasn't responded to my PM.. :( Hasnt been active since Dec so I dn't know if he fixed it or if he sold the car or what.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12524&highlight=check+engine+light
Sponsored

Last edited: