Sponsored

Motor Let Go Tonight

Apwrx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic premium PP
All this talk of how to drive your automatic. I've got 17k no issues and drive it like any other car. Sometimes I paddle shift it sometimes I just floor it and let the car downshift itself..I've also got adaptive cruise and use it without issue. I think some have lost their minds.A bit weird a few have blown around the same time frame sure. However I don't think there needs to be special instructions on how to drive a modern car.Especially if you're stock
Sponsored

Juben

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang (AT) w/PP
I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's better to just drive the AT on sport mode all the time for the quicker response, firmer shifts? I have Adam's Tune+ transmission tune but don't really use it much because I don't sport mode drive that often.
I never drive in D just because of how early it shifts and how laggy it's always felt. 95% of the time, I use the paddle shifters and do it all myself. The other 5% is still in S, but just not in manual mode. It's really become more of a habit for me and I do it without realizing it. Lol Leaving it in D feels like I'm driving a Buick Century.

I never even drove the auto but if I paid the extra for trans tuning I imagine I would use the paddles quite often especially to keep revs up when I need them. Everyone gets bored with paddle shifting in the end though.
I don't know. I've got almost 40k miles on mine and haven't gotten bored with them. Like I said above, I always use my paddles shifters and it's become so second nature that I do it without even realizing it.

ThirtyThreePointThree

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 White EcoBoost AT
I never drive in D just because of how early it shifts and how laggy it's always felt. 95% of the time, I use the paddle shifters and do it all myself. The other 5% is still in S, but just not in manual mode. It's really become more of a habit for me and I do it without realizing it. Lol Leaving it in D feels like I'm driving a Buick Century.

I don't know. I've got almost 40k miles on mine and haven't gotten bored with them. Like I said above, I always use my paddles shifters and it's become so second nature that I do it without even realizing it.
Same story here man. I'm in sport using paddles without even realizing it now and for all the same reasons you just mentioned.

CompetitionOrange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT
Id agree 100% with this post. D would sometimes throw my car in 6th going 40 mph.

I am in sport mode 100% of time. 15k miles

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
Technically yes but is it a problem, probably not. The stoichometric value (best A/F ratio for gas to burn in internal combustion engine) is 14.7:1 for regular unleaded gas. Many gas stations sell gas that has 10% ethanol which will show 14.0:1 on your gauge. Under load, tuners (including Ford) will add fuel to prevent lean conditions and cool.

So while 13:1 is technically rich for regular fuel, it is not abnormal or a problem. I wouldn't be surprised or concerned to see it down to 12:1 under WOT. With a 3rd party tune and 10% ethanol gas, I wouldn't be surprised to see 11:1 under wide open throttle. During light cruise conditions it will return to 14.7:1 or whatever reading for the type of fuel you are running. You can look up the stoichometric value for the type of fuel you are running too.

Typically when we tuned turbo race cars the target was 12:1 for safety.

The concerning thing I have with the EB is - on stock tune, it wants WOT before it will touch 12:1 - otherwise it tries for 14:1 at 80%< throttle - making nearly the same boost. It should be a more much linear tune stock.

On the discussion point with AT being the ones failing - I drive mine in Sport mode 70% of the time because of the lugging the engine does by upshifting early. Only time I'm not running sport is neighborhoods or roads where the car should be in the next gear up for cruising. I rarely use the paddle shifters in sport mode because it locks the car in paddle mode - but I do use them in higher gears when I know I want to pass.

Last, for the cars that are failing - im willing to bet the damage has already been done before the failure moment occurs. Looking at Cmw458s video it was apparent there was a problem prior to the failure. Its not just how the car was being driven at that moment - but the days/weeks leading up to it.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Typically when we tuned turbo race cars the target was 12:1 for safety.

The concerning thing I have with the EB is - on stock tune, it wants WOT before it will touch 12:1 - otherwise it tries for 14:1 at 80%< throttle - making nearly the same boost. It should be a more much linear tune stock.

On the discussion point with AT being the ones failing - I drive mine in Sport mode 70% of the time because of the lugging the engine does by upshifting early. Only time I'm not running sport is neighborhoods or roads where the car should be in the next gear up for cruising. I rarely use the paddle shifters in sport mode because it locks the car in paddle mode - but I do use them in higher gears when I know I want to pass.

Last, for the cars that are failing - im willing to bet the damage has already been done before the failure moment occurs. Looking at Cmw458s video it was apparent there was a problem prior to the failure. Its not just how the car was being driven at that moment - but the days/weeks leading up to it.
That's one of the reasons I say I feel my engine is much safer being tuned by Adam / Tune+ than stock.

ultimate warrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ecoboost
That's one of the reasons I say I feel my engine is much safer being tuned by Adam / Tune+ than stock.
i agree, but every blown EB is pushing that back.

who knows I may very well be driving a stock grenade and wouldnt know until i hit 10-20k.

there may end up being some tragic flaw common to these motors that may get corrected later - wouldn't want to exempt myself from that.

KY_V6

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neal
Vehicle(s)
2004 Ford Ranger FX4 Level 2
Sport Mode with my V6 and 3.55 gears, makes it feel like a difference car. Add the Sport Steering mode and it's a race car. ha ha. Love It!

Glenn G

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Glenn
Vehicle(s)
15 DIB 6MT base Ecoboost
Sport Mode with my V6 and 3.55 gears, makes it feel like a difference car. Add the Sport Steering mode and it's a race car. ha ha. Love It!
Wrong thread?

jtmat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vert turbo!!!!
I start the car and put in sport mode... period. Only time I drive in "regular" is when I'm on a long hwy drive (over 100 miles). Even then I'm hitting "s" to pass and whatnot.

I only want the car to last two more years... lol

Sponsored

EcoSwag1990

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GT
I only want the car to last two more years... lol
This was my exact thinking. There ended up being one blown engine too many for me to put up with. Hopefully in the next couple months we're able to nail down what exactly is happening with the early production cars

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
This was my exact thinking. There ended up being one blown engine too many for me to put up with. Hopefully in the next couple months we're able to nail down what exactly is happening with the early production cars
Did you buy a GT already?

ypena02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
LOL Do you know how many EBMs have been sold? You panicked because of a handful of cases on this forum? Yikes

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
LOL Do you know how many EBMs have been sold? You panicked because of a handful of cases on this forum? Yikes
Well it's no secret most with the Ecoboost would rather have a GT....I did at first but I got to much money in the car at this point to trade in for a car that will have lesser power haha

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Id agree 100% with this post. D would sometimes throw my car in 6th going 40 mph.

I am in sport mode 100% of time. 15k miles
When you say you are in Sport mode all of the time - here's my question:

Are you in Sport mode via manually selecting the mode using the actual switch in the center stack of the console OR are you in Sport mode by manually placing the auto shifter lever into "S"?
Sponsored