Motor Let Go Tonight

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
I find it strange that all these ecoboost engines are all suddenly dying all around the same time. I was thinking of trading in my v6 for the ecoboost, but not so much anymore.
It seems like most are early production 15s.... No 16s have been reported yet as far as I know... Something certainly changed from 2015 to 2016.... I'm glad I didn't get that DIB EB I was going to test drive if the dealer I got my 6 from stuck to their ADM (purchased my car in early October 2014)..... If my engine had not already blown I would be extremely paranoid right now....
Sponsored

Last edited:

Joe_Stang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
It seems like most are early production 15s.... No 16s have been reported yet as far as I know... Something certainly changed from 2015 to 2016.... I'm glad I didn't get that DIB EB I has going to test drive if the dealer I got my 6 from stuck to their ADM (purchased my car in early October 2014)..... If my engine had not already blown I would be extremely paranoid right now....
Yeah I am paranoid constantly lol and it's a shame because I really like the car and plan on taking it far but a blown motor is such a Heartbreaker lol.

myjaja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang 5.0
It seems like most are early production 15s.... No 16s have been reported yet as far as I know... Something certainly changed from 2015 to 2016.... I'm glad I didn't get that DIB EB I was going to test drive if the dealer I got my 6 from stuck to their ADM (purchased my car in early October 2014)..... If my engine had not already blown I would be extremely paranoid right now....
Or the 2016's just need more time for those to start popping up as well as its pretty new. I haven't seen much blown 2014's and 2015's ecoboosts until recently. So it basically took 1-2 years to start happening so it could be exactly the same for the 2016's as well?

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Or the 2016's just need more time for those to start popping up as well as its pretty new. I haven't seen much blown 2014's and 2015's ecoboosts until recently. So it basically took 1-2 years to start happening so it could be exactly the same for the 2016's as well?
If mileage was correlated then I would say maybe.... But we have seen engines with as low as 2k miles blow.... That's what makes this so hard to determine.... It doesn't see to be directly related to anything..... Stock, modded, low mileage, high mileage, it doesn't seem to matter... Only that all have been from 2015 models and most have been automatics.

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I really hope it's just an early production problem, and that whatever problem caused all these blown motors, was fixed for 2016 and onwards. I just wish we knew what the actual problem and legitimate fix was...:shrug:

But I'm also very curious what makes the 2.3T so different than the 2.0T. Because it's not like this is all-new technology, but none of the other Turbo 4 EB motors have had problems like this to my knowledge, other than the usual LSPI and trying to make the most power possible; things that have simple resolutions and fixes.

Sponsored

PewterCam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Z28 Camaro and 2015 Ecoboost Mustang
Yea, this has me thinking I should just install the TSB pcv that has been sitting in my garage

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
That doesn't look like the Revision C oil separator from the TSB. All the pictures of the revised oil separator's as well as the one I just installed on my car have a Blue PCV and the barcode replaced with a QR code.

26170311952_fba2a79f4c_b.jpg

DanFish

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red GT, 2015 Black Eco
I really hope it's just an early production problem, and that whatever problem caused all these blown motors, was fixed for 2016 and onwards. I just wish we knew what the actual problem and legitimate fix was...:shrug:

But I'm also very curious what makes the 2.3T so different than the 2.0T. Because it's not like this is all-new technology, but none of the other Turbo 4 EB motors have had problems like this to my knowledge, other than the usual LSPI and trying to make the most power possible; things that have simple resolutions and fixes.
I'm sure my engine went because of LSPI. Car didn't get above 2k rpm

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
The automatic thing has me scratching my head a bit. The Ford tech who posted about his supposed '6 blown engines' at his dealership mentioned they were all automatics. My MT82 is a boat anchor but at least I control the revs all the time.

04SloSnake

Boost Addict
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R34 Skyline
The automatic thing has me scratching my head a bit. The Ford tech who posted about his supposed '6 blown engines' at his dealership mentioned they were all automatics. My MT82 is a boat anchor but at least I control the revs all the time.
I think it has something to do with the transmission tuning and delay from throttle input to action. Some of the failures have been because throttle was applied but the transmission did not down shift fast enough to avoid LSPI. The factory tuning is set to keep it in the highest gear possible for fuel economy. There is something to people saying tuning can save the car.

Boosting Stangs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium Competition Orange
Have a question about AFR? If the ratio falls below 13:00, does this mean the engine is running rich.

Sorry to hear about the latest casualties.

Sponsored

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
Have a question about AFR? If the ratio falls below 13:00, does this mean the engine is running rich.

Sorry to hear about the latest casualties.
Technically yes but is it a problem, probably not. The stoichometric value (best A/F ratio for gas to burn in internal combustion engine) is 14.7:1 for regular unleaded gas. Many gas stations sell gas that has 10% ethanol which will show 14.0:1 on your gauge. Under load, tuners (including Ford) will add fuel to prevent lean conditions and cool.

So while 13:1 is technically rich for regular fuel, it is not abnormal or a problem. I wouldn't be surprised or concerned to see it down to 12:1 under WOT. With a 3rd party tune and 10% ethanol gas, I wouldn't be surprised to see 11:1 under wide open throttle. During light cruise conditions it will return to 14.7:1 or whatever reading for the type of fuel you are running. You can look up the stoichometric value for the type of fuel you are running too.

Damndave

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost
Technically yes but is it a problem, probably not. The stoichometric value (best A/F ratio for gas to burn in internal combustion engine) is 14.7:1 for regular unleaded gas. Many gas stations sell gas that has 10% ethanol which will show 14.0:1 on your gauge. Under load, tuners (including Ford) will add fuel to prevent lean conditions and cool.

So while 13:1 is technically rich for regular fuel, it is not abnormal or a problem. I wouldn't be surprised or concerned to see it down to 12:1 under WOT. With a 3rd party tune and 10% ethanol gas, I wouldn't be surprised to see 11:1 under wide open throttle. During light cruise conditions it will return to 14.7:1 or whatever reading for the type of fuel you are running. You can look up the stoichometric value for the type of fuel you are running too.

Exactly

TunaFish15

2017 SRT Challenger owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
6.4L Mustang Eater
I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's better to just drive the AT on sport mode all the time for the quicker response, firmer shifts? I have Adam's Tune+ transmission tune but don't really use it much because I don't sport mode drive that often.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
I'm wondering if anyone thinks it's better to just drive the AT on sport mode all the time for the quicker response, firmer shifts? I have Adam's Tune+ transmission tune but don't really use it much because I don't sport mode drive that often.

I never even drove the auto but if I paid the extra for trans tuning I imagine I would use the paddles quite often especially to keep revs up when I need them. Everyone gets bored with paddle shifting in the end though.
Sponsored