Sponsored

MGW GT350 shifter - second run

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
I'll be helping a forum member install his MGW tomorrow and I'll do my best to get some good photos of the install.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I forgot to mention Epiphany is a SMART ASS! :paddle:

And my Dad is proud :first:

Look forward to talking to you at your wedding! :lol:
Y'all were busting my chops the whole time and I'm the smart ass? Heck, I never even got warmed up!

And unless I relocate to Utah, the marriage I entered into in 1993 is plenty enough. Now I see why your friend sprayed you!:) You probably bust his balls too!

I'll be helping a forum member install his MGW tomorrow and I'll do my best to get some good photos of the install.

Looking forward to it. Good luck with the install!

I'm getting ready to head to the airport but was passing through the shop just now and George's GT350 assembly guy was finishing up a few GT350 shifters as the shipping department boxed up a number of them as well.
0223171705b_HDR_resized.jpg
0223171705_HDR_resized.jpg
0224171007_HDR_resized.jpg
0224171005_HDR_resized.jpg

EF300

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350, 2020 GT500 CFTP
For those of us that need someone else to put this shifter in, is there a recommend # of labor hours we could communicate to our install shop ?

TY

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
You should grab my stock shifter and take a few pictures of the plastic components for comparison.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I did an entire writeup on the stock shifter complete with a breakdown of each and every component. I'll dig it up from my desktop when I get home.

Tim, I'm glad you brought it up though as most don't realize how poor the stock shift mechanism is from a materials/design perspective until they see it. When you do the MGW install it is readily apparent how weak the stock one is.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
For those of us that need someone else to put this shifter in, is there a recommend # of labor hours we could communicate to our install shop ?

TY

Based on doing the GT install a few times I'd charge probably 2-3 hours for the job.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS

Sponsored

Varekai

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
Can't wait for a video of the upgraded part install since I'm a dumbass and can't follow written instructions! :D:headbonk:

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The girls that package and ship check/add a few things before boxing everything up. Trust me, the guys doing the machine work in the back have sidearms, knives, and full beards. And they most certainly aren't listening to Boy George/Wham!/Liberace on the radio.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
God dam it guys... every time I see a new post in this thread it is the first thing I look at which makes me want this shifter even more :doh::D

I'm slowly convincing myself to give myself a birthday gift this year come May, also when the car will be put back on the road. :D

Only thing I'm curious about is whether:

A) Can the rod that the shift knob attaches to be elongated to retain stock shifter knob height; and

B) Can some unique custom shift knobs be made?

LOVE the top centerpiece of the gripper knob, the actual cobra logo with shiny ring on the outside, looks phenomenal, but the knob itself looks like and reminds of bed liner from the back of a truck, so I'm not sure that I would like the feel of it. Or even if the material/finish of the gripper knob could be changed, perhaps I would like it more. [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION] do you know the material used for the gripper knobs, or more specifically, the weight of them?

Have bought and used custom shift knobs from WC Lathe Werks in the past, and love how they are made of stainless steel, thus being significantly weighty and adding to a solid shift feel. Attached an image of a stainless example of a piston style knob that they make for reference. I'll have to find out, probably by calling/emailing George to see what custom options he has. Otherwise I'll probably just order another knob from WC and have the cobra emblem engraved in the top.
SS WRX Piston Knurled.JPG

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
Justin, stop delaying!
I kept my stock knob.
Happy birthday! I'll buy it for you. Pm me.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Only thing I'm curious about is whether:

A) Can the rod that the shift knob attaches to be elongated to retain stock shifter knob height; and

B) Can some unique custom shift knobs be made?

LOVE the top centerpiece of the gripper knob, the actual cobra logo with shiny ring on the outside, looks phenomenal, but the knob itself looks like and reminds of bed liner from the back of a truck, so I'm not sure that I would like the feel of it. Or even if the material/finish of the gripper knob could be changed, perhaps I would like it more. @Epiphany do you know the material used for the gripper knobs, or more specifically, the weight of them?

Have bought and used custom shift knobs from WC Lathe Werks in the past, and love how they are made of stainless steel, thus being significantly weighty and adding to a solid shift feel. Attached an image of a stainless example of a piston style knob that they make for reference. I'll have to find out, probably by calling/emailing George to see what custom options he has. Otherwise I'll probably just order another knob from WC and have the cobra emblem engraved in the top.
A) You are pretty near stock knob height with the setup George sells right now.

B) George has done a number of different "coins" or inserts for the black textured knob you see on previous pages here. Stainless and anodized aluminum. Any design he doesn't have has to have a custom program written and he has to pay a fee for that. You best bet is to call and ask.

I've fallen for the black gripper and I thought I'd never deviate from cue ball style. When I got the GT350 I took to the stock knob. Your tastes change over time I suppose. The texture isn't "bedliner" like at all but rather a good match given the interior trim panels. I'd ask George if you need the material properties of the knob. I'm not sure if he's weighed them or not either.

Be aware that you need a trim collar to mate with the boot. IMHO, the knob you show is nice but a bit out of balance with the car. It won't blend at the bottom where it needs to transition to the boot. For a price though, hey, you can make anything custom to suit your needs and nobody should stand in anyone's way when it comes to creative vision. So take my suggestions with a grain of salt and do what you think would make you happy.
Sponsored