MGW GT350 shifter - second run

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
A) You are pretty near stock knob height with the setup George sells right now.

B) George has done a number of different "coins" or inserts for the black textured knob you see on previous pages here. Stainless and anodized aluminum. Any design he doesn't have has to have a custom program written and he has to pay a fee for that. You best bet is to call and ask.

I've fallen for the black gripper and I thought I'd never deviate from cue ball style. When I got the GT350 I took to the stock knob. Your tastes change over time I suppose. The texture isn't "bedliner" like at all but rather a good match given the interior trim panels. I'd ask George if you need the material properties of the knob. I'm not sure if he's weighed them or not either.

Be aware that you need a trim collar to mate with the boot. IMHO, the knob you show is nice but a bit out of balance with the car. It won't blend at the bottom where it needs to transition to the boot. For a price though, hey, you can make anything custom to suit your needs and nobody should stand in anyone's way when it comes to creative vision. So take my suggestions with a grain of salt and do what you think would make you happy.
Thanks for the info man, so the gripper isn't bedliner like, but you liken it to the hard plastics used in the interior? It doesn't have a gross or cheap feeling to it then I presume? haha how does the gripper with that anodized red section at the bottom connect to the shifter boot?

Wonder if it would be possible to have that "gripper" knob smoothed out or without the grip surface haha
Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I meant that the shift ball was a good match aesthetically, that's all. I assure, the impression you get visually as well as when you hold it in your hand is "just....damn."

You would not want to remove the texture. Trust me. Just think of a good color match and pick a coin type/design that works for you.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Me too, but I'm having a tough time justifying it, even though I like the sound of those crisp shifts!

To all here, regarding the first gear pop-out "issue", which I've experienced on occasion, is it the consensus that it's a shifter issue, gearbox issue, or just user error?
OK the decision has been made - will be ordering one. Thanks Epiphany for all the info. I'm also going to order a shift boot to keep on the shelf.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That's great. Looking forward to your thoughts when you unbox it and take a good look at the construction. I suspect you'll be a bit impressed.

:)

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
That's great. Looking forward to your thoughts when you unbox it and take a good look at the construction. I suspect you'll be a bit impressed.

:)
I'm sure I will...looks impressive in all the pictures and videos I've seen here. Gives me the opportunity to buy some new tools, also...

Sponsored

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
IMG_1952.jpg

Here is the red collar and red coin combo in my R
IMG_1951.jpg

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
this is awesome [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION]

I've been heavily debating about getting the new MGW shifter.

Other then that hope all else is well back East brotha its been a minute since we have spoken.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love that R you have Tim. And the ground clearance with the splitter it has....just damn.

Get any more drive time since your trip back home?

this is awesome [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION]

I've been heavily debating about getting the new MGW shifter.

Other then that hope all else is well back East brotha its been a minute since we have spoken.
End the debate and jump aboard. Bad assery awaits!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
IMG_1952.jpg

Here is the red collar and red coin combo in my R
You friggin suck! I was supposed to have the first R ball. Lol.

Just kidding! Love ya man! Mean it!

We gotta get Epiphany to fly south again and let's all hang out. Shame I missed it.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Just finished up the MGW install on both a GT and GT350 today, gotta say the Shelby install was a tad easier. Finally got a short drive in the car as well and I'm looking forward for our next meet. Having a lift made it a breeze but I can be done on jackstands as well without touching the driveshaft or exhaust.

It was great meeting you Jim! [MENTION=16268]holtzja[/MENTION]

_DSC3381-1.jpg

Sponsored
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
We gotta get Epiphany to fly south again and let's all hang out. Shame I missed it.
When Roebling Road calls in the next month or so I hope to be back down there. Can't wait!

Grimace - car looks sharp!

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
I meant that the shift ball was a good match aesthetically, that's all. I assure, the impression you get visually as well as when you hold it in your hand is "just....damn."

You would not want to remove the texture. Trust me. Just think of a good color match and pick a coin type/design that works for you.
Thanks for clarifying! :thumbsup:

In my mind I'm starting to imagine it being similar to the rubberized feel of a dumbbell in the gym, which feels great :D

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Thanks for clarifying! :thumbsup:

In my mind I'm starting to imagine it being similar to the rubberized feel of a dumbbell in the gym, which feels great :D
If you plan to track the car, you will appreciate this ball better than the stock or the Subaru version you showed earlier, as the glove will have better friction to work with.

I used a similar version knob in NASCAR prep and it was a joy compared to the billet knobs in other cars.

George only uses components to augment his product... not to take away.

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
If you plan to track the car, you will appreciate this ball better than the stock or the Subaru version you showed earlier, as the glove will have better friction to work with.

I used a similar version knob in NASCAR prep and it was a joy compared to the billet knobs in other cars.

George only uses components to augment his product... not to take away.
Unfortunately for me there are no racetracks in my province, nearest one is over 1000 miles and a 7 hour ferry ride away haha

I agree that it should be more functional certainly, as the one I posted was primarily for aesthetics.

I think I know why I liked the look of the stock shifter more, the one thing that I don't like aesthetically with the MGW unit is the boot being pushed up so much closer to the shift knob. It isn't that I liked the reverse collar so much or its operation, but moreso the fact that it introduced some space between the knob and the edge of the shifter boot. Wonder if those bottom pieces (the red/stainless bottoms) can be extended, or if the adapter piece can be elongated to provide what I'm referring too :shrug: