Sponsored

MGW GT350 shifter - second run

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
Unfortunately for me there are no racetracks in my province, nearest one is over 1000 miles and a 7 hour ferry ride away haha

I agree that it should be more functional certainly, as the one I posted was primarily for aesthetics.

I think I know why I liked the look of the stock shifter more, the one thing that I don't like aesthetically with the MGW unit is the boot being pushed up so much closer to the shift knob. It isn't that I liked the reverse collar so much or its operation, but moreso the fact that it introduced some space between the knob and the edge of the shifter boot. Wonder if those bottom pieces (the red/stainless bottoms) can be extended, or if the adapter piece can be elongated to provide what I'm referring too :shrug:
Do you have pictures to compare... I'm planning to order the shifter soon. Just waiting on more feedback from the forum before I order.
Sponsored

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Do you have pictures to compare... I'm planning to order the shifter soon. Just waiting on more feedback from the forum before I order.
First pic is with the MGW unit and stock knob, second is MGW knob and shifter, third is all stock, you can see the big difference between the relative position of the shift boot with the shift knob
1488068410.IMG_5784.JPG
1488068432.IMG_5782.jpg
1488068448.IMG_5785.JPG

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
First pic is with the MGW unit and stock knob, second is MGW knob and shifter, third is all stock, you can see the big difference between the relative position of the shift boot with the shift knob

Thank you for sharing the pictures....I do like how the stock boot looks on the shifter....I wonder if the boot can be adjusted on the MGW Shifter to be like the stock look?

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Thank you for sharing the pictures....I do like how the stock boot looks on the shifter....I wonder if the boot can be adjusted on the MGW Shifter to be like the stock look?
It can't, because you would only expose threaded rod, and below that the thick red shift lever would stop it from being pulled down further regardless. The only solution would be to either take the adapter that allows the stock knob to be used and elongate it to raise the shift knob height, or do the same with the coloured bottom red section on the MGW gripper knob to push the knob higher as well. If either of those could be done, I'd be pumped.

Sponsored

morjo02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby
It can't, because you would only expose threaded rod, and below that the thick red shift lever would stop it from being pulled down further regardless. The only solution would be to either take the adapter that allows the stock knob to be used and elongate it to raise the shift knob height, or do the same with the coloured bottom red section on the MGW gripper knob to push the knob higher as well. If either of those could be done, I'd be pumped.
Looks like a good question to the MGW team.... I'm going to try calling them next week to see if they have a solution or if they can work on one.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I believe the first picture is actually my own car and with the MGW shifter in place. Look closely at it, I pinched the boot and pulled it up a bit. On the next photo, the boot was pulled tight, downward.

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
I'm down for Roebling Road!

I've been around that track a bunch on two wheels!

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good deal. I'd like to see your line on the turn with two apex's that is around the back....

Readfast

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
17 F350 King Ranch, 17 Focus RS
I'm sure its going to be different in a car than what it is on a motorcycle.

But I definitely want to find out!

Sponsored

holtzja

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 GT500; 2016 GT350 (Coming Soon!)
Just finished up the MGW install on both a GT and GT350 today, gotta say the Shelby install was a tad easier. Finally got a short drive in the car as well and I'm looking forward for our next meet. Having a lift made it a breeze but I can be done on jackstands as well without touching the driveshaft or exhaust.

It was great meeting you Jim! [MENTION=16268]holtzja[/MENTION]

_DSC3381-1.jpg
Grimace427 - Great to meet you today and thanks for all your help and a great install of my new MGW Shifter. I am amazed at how rock solid this new unit is compared to the OEM unit. A great product and nice install today. Thanks for the pics too!!! I will be back to see you again!

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Fellas - can we slap that MGW install video back in here? Just got my upgraded arms and I am going to drop the shifter in in the next couple of days.

Thanks!

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Is there really a forum discount as someone mentioned? I just ordered one, and a T-shirt, and didn't mention the forum. Oh well...

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fellas - can we slap that MGW install video back in here? Just got my upgraded arms and I am going to drop the shifter in in the next couple of days.

Thanks!

Note this is the original install video for the MGW GT350 shifter. George is working on a new video but this one should get you through the install.

[ame]
Sponsored