Sponsored

MGW GT350 shifter - second run

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Hey guys, I'm also planning on buying this shifter. My questions are, is it pushdown for reverse only or is there an option that use the stock lift up collar for reverse?

Also, I'll be installing on jack stands. How difficult and how long does it take? Im in a garage so length of time isn't really the issue... any specialty tools needed?
Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Thereā€™s video available on here and at MGW website.

Itā€™s a push down reverse. As far as lift vs Jack stands, mine was installed on a lift and seemed to go very easy. I couldnā€™t imagine it done on stands but should be possible.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Once the car is up safely on jackstands it really isn't much different than when on a lift other than your arms are extended in front of you instead of up above you. I've changed numerous shifters this way. The exhaust system doesn't need to be touched and the driveshaft doesn't have to come out. It does help to have a second person for when you have to pass an item or two down through the hole in the driveshaft tunnel. Other than that, just pay close attention to the install video as mentioned above and you should be good.

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
I installed mine by myself in my garage. Another set of hands wouldā€™ve helped but isnā€™t necessary. Iā€™d recommend getting another small bottle of blue loctite, I guess I was a bit liberal with the amount supplied by MGW. Use the video and [MENTION=22916]Zombo[/MENTION] ā€˜s add on info. It took me three hours but wouldā€™ve been 40 or so minutes quicker if I didnā€™t need to get more loctite:D. Definitely mark your cross member before you lower the xmsn.
Itā€™s a great diy project, good luck :cheers:

jvandy50

H3249
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
jason
Vehicle(s)
22 TRX, 18 ZL1-1LE
skinny forearms help:)

if you're the planning type, it would be a good time to do the driveshaft and res delete...but definitely not necessary.

this mod will spoil you, and driving manual cars without the MGW sucks

Sponsored

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
skinny forearms help:)

if you're the planning type, it would be a good time to do the driveshaft and res delete...but definitely not necessary.

this mod will spoil you, and driving manual cars without the MGW sucks
Thanks a lot guys! I have the R so no res delete needed but I would like the cf driveshaft...

ok I'm going to order the shift but have one last question: Can I still use my CJ Pony parts round ball shift knob?

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
and 3 or 4 hours on the floor isn't bad at all...

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Thanks a lot guys! I have the R so no res delete needed but I would like the cf driveshaft...

ok I'm going to order the shift but have one last question: Can I still use my CJ Pony parts round ball shift knob?
If itā€™s on the stock shifter, then yes.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Hey guys the shifter showed up last week. First impressions just handling it: WOW. Precision Mech Tech. Hereā€™s an update from tonight.

Car is up on all fours via jack stands. Original shifter completely removed and ready to drop the new MGW in. This took approx two hours. I think if youā€™d done it before it would take an hour or less for disassembly. I was up early this morning so I figure Iā€™ll finish it up tomorrow or Wednesday. Very excited. For those that were concerned about doing it on the floor, so far its a breeze. Iā€™ll post up some pics and the tools used when Iā€™m done.