I like to disassemble things.
Cable shifters....meh.

Sponsored

Forgedwheeler

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
If you use that Snake emblem commercially, you will get a nasty letter from Ford's legal team. It is protected intellectual property.

George has some other interesting stuff lined up as well including different shift balls. He is doing some interesting stuff with the gripper style pieces, including changing the coins to laser burned aluminum or stainless pieces. I've been talking to him about doing a custom center wheel cap that uses the GT350's snake. I was like a kid in a candy shop when he led me to the room where he laser etches them. In no time he sat down in front of a computer, turn the vacuum system on, and started burning a snake into a solid stainless coin. Check these videos out (be sure to raise the resolution up as high as you can go)...

He pulled the coin out and popped it into a new ball. The results are pretty darn impressive! Note this was a "quickie" and as such you see some light scuffing that you won't see on finished units.

0127171142a_HDR2-Edit.jpg

0127171144_HDR-Edit.jpg

0128171305a_HDR-Edit.jpg

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
If you use that Snake emblem commercially, you will get a nasty letter from Ford's legal team. It is protected intellectual property.

The only nasty letters we get from Ford is that we owe them every quarter for our licensing fees.:D

We have been working with Ford and have been an officially licensed manufacturer for over 15 years :ford::ford::ford:

George

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
:ford:

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
Completed my installation. Attached is a step by step with some hints/suggestions to go hand in hand with the latest video. The original video appears to be no longer available, but I'm glad I watched it several times in the past, as there are a few things covered in the initial one not covered in the latest, that I added as comments. I also added a design improvement suggestion for MGW.

For me, working from the ground with the car on jack stands, the installation was quite difficult with limited visibility and access and a lot of contortions, but I completed it. I would say it took me a good 5 to 6 hours, due to a mistake I made and poor planning, having to crawl under the car over and over to get stuff I was missing. I would suggest bringing everything you'll need under the car with you from the get-go.

First impressions: after a short drive, it feels great, but probably needs to break in a bit. Going into first, one needs to be deliberate and it as a natural tendency to go into 3rd. I set mine up so I have an audible indication that I'm going in to first when I hear the reverse lockout pin contact the stop, I know I'm going there.

Hats off to the MGW team!

Another thing, with the shift boot and rubber boots removed, you can see how much the OEM shifter deflects when you load it up. You don't see that in the MGW; much more solid!

Attachments

Last edited:

Spacebird

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350R
Hey all, happy owner of a first run MGW shifter here. I installled my MGW myself about 2500mi and 18 months ago. I’ve driven the car at COTA and on plenty of canyon roads without issues. It’s truly a beautifully engineered product.

I was sitting outside a store waiting for my wife and just goofing around with the shifter. I noticed that there’s a tiny bit of play in the shifter in neutral. By “tiny bit” I mean maybe 1/4” at the knob top. What I can’t recall is if this is normal or not. Seems it’d be weird to notice this after using it for so long, unless some play developed over time or even suddenly due to something loosening. OR, it’s always been like that and I’m just noticing.

Is there a tiny bit of wiggle in neutral?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tiny bit at the knob? I'd say that isn't abnormal considering how little that would translate at the base of the shifter arm. Better put, if the arm is moving at all, the shifter rail that exists the transmission is moving. Any play within the TR3160 isn't corrected after the fact...

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
^^ as he said - there is play in neutral and also in each gear, in the transmission itself.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Prob have the very first one put in an R and mine is tight. I just had the master himself run thru the shifting gates and gave me the “all clear”!

Best car product I’ve ever bought, along with the Caliperfexion stuff, of course... ;)

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You are a very wise man.