Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Yes and yes.

I have yet to see anything out there that instills much confidence in terms of engineering and/or durability. I'm dying to talk to the engineers that handled the pre-production units that were tested in the GT350 but didn't make the cut.

I do plan on talking to QA1 about making something happen.
Should be interesting if you can get them to disclose anything useful.

I suspect that even diff mounting bushing stiffnesses had something to do with it.

Separately, this thread is probably going to end up costing me money (and make MGW a tiny bit more profitable) even for my '08. Its stock shifter isn't as good on the track as it once was - it really wasn't as bad as the drag racers all make it out to be but it isn't as good as it could be. So the thanks will belong here.

Norm
Sponsored

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Had it with the MGW Shifter. Took it in to my dealership here (SVT - really great transmission mechanic) and they realigned, loosened off something or other, no vibration now.
When you did your instal did you have just the front half of the car in the air? Did you also snug the trans brace with the jack underneath?

Speedfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
That was my original plan since I read about the upgrade. It's my opinion, that if there is a need for an upgrade, then a common problem or issue is known.

I will give MGW a call today.
Shifter up-date.... Spoke with George and he is sending me out the Gen 2 up-grade. MGW acknowledges that there are issues with some vibrations in the 1st Gen shifters and have addressed them with the Gen 2 kit. MGW has even experienced this in some cars. George told me that they have installed a shifter in a car that had the same issue, took it out and then put it in another car and that car had no issues. It is weird, but it seems to depend on the car. If you watch the new video, MGW also includes a rubber gasket for the back support to help with any vibration.

As soon as I get it, the car goes up on jack-stands and the fun begins. At that time I will also install the Watson bar (that I had powder coated to match the car) and the "R" rear seat delete. Then it is time for the track again!

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
So, I take delivery of my MGW shifter yesterday; I pull it out of the box and start fiddling with it when my wife walks by and says “You paid $500 for that?” Understand, she’s a very intelligent woman and was certainly not implying that I got ripped off. I said “I know, this thing is amazing!” We both examined it closely and marveled at its sheer beauty and heft. On background, I’m a Mech. Design Eng. and have worked in the Aerospace/Defense industry for 32 years; worked on a lot of interesting and complicated projects. In my business, I can’t imagine being able to buy just the linkage rod for $500, unless I was buying them in the thousands. This is an incredible piece of kit! If it works half as good as it looks and is built, it’s going to be spectacular. As a matter of fact, I think I might buy another one just to display in my garage!

Installation will have to wait, as the weather in these parts is currently uncooperative. But I’m looking forward to turning some wrenches and will report back with my impressions of its functionality. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed!

I added a few pictures of me holding it, because, based on all the pictures I’ve seen, I never got a sense for how big this assembly is. Very nice! Great job MGW team!
IMG_0832.jpg
IMG_0834.jpg

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
So, I take delivery of my MGW shifter yesterday; I pull it out of the box and start fiddling with it when my wife walks by and says “You paid $500 for that?” Understand, she’s a very intelligent woman and was certainly not implying that I got ripped off. I said “I know, this thing is amazing!” We both examined it closely and marveled at its sheer beauty and heft. On background, I’m a Mech. Design Eng. and have worked in the Aerospace/Defense industry for 32 years; worked on a lot of interesting and complicated projects. In my business, I can’t imagine being able to buy just the linkage rod for $500, unless I was buying them in the thousands. This is an incredible piece of kit! If it works half as good as it looks and is built, it’s going to be spectacular. As a matter of fact, I think I might buy another one just to display in my garage!

Installation will have to wait, as the weather in these parts is currently uncooperative. But I’m looking forward to turning some wrenches and will report back with my impressions of its functionality. I’m sure I won’t be disappointed!

I added a few pictures of me holding it, because, based on all the pictures I’ve seen, I never got a sense for how big this assembly is. Very nice! Great job MGW team!
If you like the way it looks wait to you feel the way it shift's. It is so crisp and clean. You will love it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
What impresses me most about George is that he never stops looking for ways to further refine the design. It is never a matter of something being "good enough." He takes advantage of material properties, coatings, and tolerances such that the finished mechanism is extremely robust while providing shift quality second to none. My favorite - the second to third shift. You can hit the knob/ball forward with an open palm as hard as you want and the shifter guides itself up and over into gear. Extremely satisfying.

Simply put, this shifter makes the GT350 experience a better one.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like the way the side arms are now pinned to the shift box. Very robust.

Of course it is always easy to look at someones design and suggest changes, but one thought I had was to integrate the fixed side of the linkage rod with the linkage rod itself - make it all one piece. Maybe there are reasons this doesn't work or make sense - Just a thought.

Either way, it is quite an impressive design and I'm looking forward to experiencing the shifting experience!

One other thing - MGW should should provide you with a small MGW sticker or two - I would proudly affix them to my car.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Zombo, the reason for the linkage break is ease of installation.

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I suppose I wasn't clear. The linkage rod itself has 3 main components: the rod, and 2 end fittings. One end fitting is fixed to the rod, and the other has a swivel joint. I was suggesting integrating the fixed end and the rod into 1 part. This would not impact installation, as the linkage rod would still be a separate sub-assembly. It was just a thought...

cking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17GT350AG/BS-MGW/UPR/ABLIP
He is a survey question, What type of lift did you use to install your MGW shifter.

Jack stands two

Jack stands four

Ramps

four post lift

two post lift

Maybe we can find a correlation between NVH and how the car is jacked up? Even if you have no NVH chime in.

Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Had it out on the track for the first time today since installing the shifter.

Beautiful. Never missed a shift. No vibration. I would recommend this to everyone. A huge difference from the stock shifter on the track last year.

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Good stuff!

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What impresses me most about George is that he never stops looking for ways to further refine the design. It is never a matter of something being "good enough." He takes advantage of material properties, coatings, and tolerances such that the finished mechanism is extremely robust while providing shift quality second to none. My favorite - the second to third shift. You can hit the knob/ball forward with an open palm as hard as you want and the shifter guides itself up and over into gear. Extremely satisfying.

Simply put, this shifter makes the GT350 experience a better one.
It seems the shifters natural position is in the 3rd/4th gate. Going from 2nd to 3rd must be sweet, as you already described. How's going from 5th to 4th? That should be nice, too.

CSL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350
The 5-4 shift is the best attribute of the shifter in my opinion. See my recent post in the other MGW shifter thread in interior modifications forum.

ForTehNguyen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
the MGW auto centers so for any 5-4 downshift or 2-3 upshift all you do is push up or down and it just goes in. You know damn sure what gate you are going to by just feeling the tension in the shifter. No tension means youre going to the middle 3-4 gate, etc. I would argue this extra feel will help defend against money shifts from a vaguer feeling shifter.
Sponsored