OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Norm, as to size constraints, the tunnel in the S550 is pretty much carryover from the S197. They are near identical. CF worked for the '13/'14 GT500, and that was in a dynamic application due to the rear axle being able to articulate. In the S550 the axle housing is fixed. IMHO, clearance was not a factor in terms of the decision to nix a fiber shaft in the GT350.
Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, 1966 Couple (347 Stroker)
Norm, as to size constraints, the tunnel in the S550 is pretty much carryover from the S197. They are near identical. CF worked for the '13/'14 GT500, and that was in a dynamic application due to the rear axle being able to articulate. In the S550 the axle housing is fixed. IMHO, clearance was not a factor in terms of the decision to nix a fiber shaft in the GT350.
Do you see any benefits of putting one in the GT350? Would you personally put one in your car (free swap type of deal?)

Zombo

befejezett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack - Race Red, Blk Roof - G5405
After reviewing the new video again, and after watching the old installation video several times, while I was debating ordering one, I want to point out something I believe is missing from the new one which might be helpful (or maybe it's no longer important?).

In the original, George made a point when installing the OEM rear support, to make sure the front/back orientation is correct. This seems to be missing in the new video.

It also appears that the entire installation can be done with metric tools, except for the shifter bracket bolts, which require a 1/2 ratcheting box wrench. I wonder if a 13mm will work, or do I have to buy a whole set of SAEs just for these bolts?

Also, the reverse lockout setup procedure is no longer covered; I'd assume this is because it is adjusted from the factory?

Last edited:

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
It also appears that the entire installation can be done with metric tools, except for the shifter bracket bolts, which require a 1/2 ratcheting box wrench. I wonder if a 13mm will work, or do I have to buy a whole set of SAEs just for these bolts?
the difference is only a hundredth of an inch so it should be fine, but if you are concerned you don't have to buy a whole SAE set of sockets, any home depot will sell a single half inch socket on its own for probably like 5$.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Do you see any benefits of putting one in the GT350? Would you personally put one in your car (free swap type of deal?)
Yes and yes.

I have yet to see anything out there that instills much confidence in terms of engineering and/or durability. I'm dying to talk to the engineers that handled the pre-production units that were tested in the GT350 but didn't make the cut.

I do plan on talking to QA1 about making something happen.
[ame]

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
After reviewing the new video again, and after watching the old installation video several times, while I was debating ordering one, I want to point out something I believe is missing from the new one which might be helpful (or maybe it's no longer important?).

In the original, George made a point when installing the OEM rear support, to make sure the front/back orientation is correct. This seems to be missing in the new video.

Also, the reverse lockout setup procedure is no longer covered; I'd assume this is because it is adjusted from the factory?
The OEM brace is still used, and standard MM type sockets and wrenches will work fine. That is what I used. Setting the lockout will still be accomplished the same as in the first video.

Just wanted to report that after a few hundred miles th shifter has broken in wonderfully with no increased NVH over stock. Only changes I have seen are crisper shifts and a more enjoyable driving experience.

Team MGW bro!
IMG_0617.jpg

MGW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 MUSTANG
Hey guys...

Here is a stand alone video for the 1-2 setting. It applies to both race spec and gt350 so i made a separate video to highlight this procedure.

[ame]

also, i did not mention to rear bracket orientation, however the video shows clearly how it should be installed.

George

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes and yes.

I have yet to see anything out there that instills much confidence in terms of engineering and/or durability. I'm dying to talk to the engineers that handled the pre-production units that were tested in the GT350 but didn't make the cut.

I do plan on talking to QA1 about making something happen.

Thank you Sir. Please keep us updated.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I just finished up installing my Version 2 GT350 MGW shiftier. Before we Get into the review I want to tell you my back story. Last year when MGW announced that they were going to be making a shiftier for the GT350 I was very excited. I had put one of their shiftier's in my last Mustang a 2014 s197 GT. That shiftier transformed the car. What a huge difference no more lock out, very precise shifts, It was better than I expected ( how many times can you say that about something ). So as soon as they came out I was one of the first in line to order one. I followed the directions in the video exactly. I watched the whole video several times then watched it step by step doing just what I had seen. What could go wrong. I finished up the install am took it for a ride. The shifting was amazing just what I had expected. When the rpm hit 2K their was a small vibration that I noticed that was not their before. As the rpm's went up more it got worse. By the time it hit 4K it was so bad I had to head back home. I went through the whole installation video again to see what I had missed. When I installed my other shiftier nothing like this had ever happen. My instillation was just like the video to the next day I called George at MGW we discussed my insulation and he said at that point I was the first to have these issues. Later it turned out to be 5% to 10%of us that have this problem. He was great to work with. We tried to isolate the shiftier by adding rubber between the arms and the body of the shiftier and adding rubber under the rear were it touches the body. I worked for a couple of weekends with whatever George had sent me to try. After about a mouth I gave up. I reinstalled the factory shiftier. All the vibrations were gone but the shiftier felt so sloppy. So indeed all the vibrations were coming from the shiftier. All I could figure out was that their was something different about my car.

Once again as soon as I herd that MGW had a new design I was on the phone with George. He explained how he had made the shiftier and how the body was now isolated. I could not wait to try it. Fast forward to today when I installed the Version 2 shiftier. Just took it out for a ride and god does it shift good. like bolt action on a riffle. Their is still a hint of vibration at 4K but not bad at all very livable. With the first version my girlfriend could not stand it. I do think that the small amount that is still their is from my car. I believe that it is caused by the alignment of the drive train to body. I am guessing that some cars when the motor/transmission are installed they are off a little. next weekend I hope to have time to address this.

All in all for those on the fence - this is by far a great design that is of the highest quality built. Made by people who care about their customers. Who listen to their customers. Ford could certainly learn a lot from them. Don't wait pull the trigger you will be glad you did.

If you have any questions or thoughts please ask.

Jack

Sponsored

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the review Jack.

I have the first generation that I just had installed. I have that same ferocious vibration you refer too. I am taking it in to the shop this week when it stops snowing for a redo and I'll see how it fares.

If not, I'll have to rip it and maybe trade it in the for the second gen if that is an option.

JCSIX13

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jack
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the review Jack.

I have the first generation that I just had installed. I have that same ferocious vibration you refer too. I am taking it in to the shop this week when it stops snowing for a redo and I'll see how it fares.

If not, I'll have to rip it and maybe trade it in the for the second gen if that is an option.
MGW will send you the update for free. Just call them and have them send you the updated parts. They make a world of difference.

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MGW will send you the update for free. Just call them and have them send you the updated parts. They make a world of difference.
Oh I have it already on the current install. Didn't make any difference at all.

Is that the only difference between Gen 1 and Gen 2?

JN66

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
anyone else with reported vibrations with or without the MGW shifters ??
Had it with the MGW Shifter. Took it in to my dealership here (SVT - really great transmission mechanic) and they realigned, loosened off something or other, no vibration now.
Sponsored