Magnaride

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
probably. Well, ignoring @TeeLew 's custom setup.

Just out of the box the M1 dampers have 2x the damping force. Ford is synonymous with half-assed suspension so when they publish an improvement it's worth doing. IMO.

If you're a hard-core and fast track rat you'll likely stump for the Steeda controller eventually and it's on-board tuning, but for Autocross the FP will probably suffice. Or just go full-tilt with JRi/Penske/MCS 3-way coil-overs
The Steeda kit is locked. They don't allow for customized tuning, the tuning is built to how Steeda see's fit. The kit will work for the Steeda business model, but most hardcore track rates will do your second option. Heck, once my next shock leaks, that is the route I am going, and I have the unlocked unit.

I am curious, does the VDM tune reset the ride height sensors?
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I was under the impression that the Steeda DSC tunes were optimized for Steeda Dual rate springs
I don't doubt it. But the extra rebound damping would likely be welcome even with 'regular' springs. You don't want crazy high-rate damping (looking at you Dodge on the 3-way Bilsteins in Track) but Ford's problem has regularly been too low on rebound.

kz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustangs & F150
I have the GT500/M1 Dampers sitting in my garage; been traveling for business and pleasure back and forth this past month so no time to get them installed yet. Will hopefully be free by early March.

I am still undecided between just the 5300-W springs and the 9062 Kit. Does VDM flash really only matter for track mode? Is there any more clarity on how the M1/GT500 dampers would perform on PP1 VDM vs FP VDM?

Am I the first person to install M1/GT500 dampers on a PP1 Magride car?
VDM flash from the kid does change all the modes - Track the most, but there is difference (in compression damping at the minimum) in all of them. My VDM is flashed with this exact calibration and I put it in for the winter as Normal mode in it is 100x better than DSC's Comfort (which by default is loaded for normal mode) calibration.

I am on stock dampers though mated with coilover springs.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I am still undecided between just the 5300-W springs and the 9062 Kit. Does VDM flash really only matter for track mode?
I cannot comment regarding M1/500 dampers with FP VDM (curious to know myself), but I did the install of the full kit with FP VDM tune on my PP1 car and I am extremely happy that I did that. Springs and bars completely transformed the car, but VDM was a worthy addition as well. The main benefit is that Normal mode is still perfectly street drivable, and Track mode is actually doing what it's supposed to. On a stock tune, there wasn't enough difference between the modes.

You can think about it the following way - Normal mode is very similar between the tunes, Sport mode on FP is similar to Track mode on stock, and Track mode on FP is like next level up that was not available before. Unless you plan to get the whole controller, my recommendation is to get FP VDM tune installed. (Assuming you have PP1)

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
I don't doubt it. But the extra rebound damping would likely be welcome even with 'regular' springs. You don't want crazy high-rate damping (looking at you Dodge on the 3-way Bilsteins in Track) but Ford's problem has regularly been too low on rebound.
VDM flash from the kid does change all the modes - Track the most, but there is difference (in compression damping at the minimum) in all of them. My VDM is flashed with this exact calibration and I put it in for the winter as Normal mode in it is 100x better than DSC's Comfort (which by default is loaded for normal mode) calibration.

I am on stock dampers though mated with coilover springs.
I cannot comment regarding M1/500 dampers with FP VDM (curious to know myself), but I did the install of the full kit with FP VDM tune on my PP1 car and I am extremely happy that I did that. Springs and bars completely transformed the car, but VDM was a worthy addition as well. The main benefit is that Normal mode is still perfectly street drivable, and Track mode is actually doing what it's supposed to. On a stock tune, there wasn't enough difference between the modes.

You can think about it the following way - Normal mode is very similar between the tunes, Sport mode on FP is similar to Track mode on stock, and Track mode on FP is like next level up that was not available before. Unless you plan to get the whole controller, my recommendation is to get FP VDM tune installed. (Assuming you have PP1)
Thanks for the helpful comments guys!

Tosha, I agree completely. While on OEM PP1 magride dampers and VDM, I can currently feel a slight difference between normal and sport, and then no significant difference between sport and track.

Yes, it begs the question, is the VDM tune the same across PP2/GT350/Mach1 when the dampers between these vehicles are different (PP2 vs M1) and should in turn respond differently to the same given current level? I'm curiouis to just track the car with and without VDM tune applied and either compare times and/or my subjective opinions. Let me know if you guys have any suggestions.

I have read regarding DSC tuning/programming, and although it has great potential, I don't have the need or desire to play around with it to that extent. Or to be locked into Steeda's version without any customization or control, especially at $1500. I am a casual HDPE driver after all.

I was previously considering Steeda magneride Dual rate springs but opted not to due to being too stiff, and also not a fan of the big drop and softness from their current magneride lowering springs. Coincidentally, Steeda just announced Mild drop magneride springs with pretty solid spring rates:

Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
considering Steeda magneride Dual rate springs but opted not to due to being too stiff
they aren't. I spend most of my time in Normal or Sport mode in the Mach1. Track mode Ford cranked up the compression damping (too much as usual) so I don't use that for too long on normal metro highways. But the springs are not at all objectionable.

That said, I am going to remove the DualRate from the rears when I do the LCR bushing.

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I am a casual HDPE driver after all.
And that is exactly what FP magneride package is great for in my personal opinion. My car is still comfortable for daily driving, and I don't feel a need for stiffer suspension when on track. I think that FP did really great job with this kit and made it well balanced.

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
And that is exactly what FP magneride package is great for in my personal opinion. My car is still comfortable for daily driving, and I don't feel a need for stiffer suspension when on track. I think that FP did really great job with this kit and made it well balanced.
Ordered the FP M-9602-M kit - I'm interested in experiencing and reporting the difference from PP1 OEM Magride, and especially before and after I apply the VDM tune on GT500 dampers. I hope it's not overkill :sunglasses:

Now I'll order an IRS lockout kit, and maybe some SKF/Timken front wheel assembly hubs since I have 60K on the original set. Or maybe a set of FP ARP stud front wheel hubs.

Sponsored

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT
Update on the GT500 damper project: M-9602-M was supposed to arrive last week, but after a call with CJ Pony car CS, I find out that it is OOS until June 2024 since it is a special order kit. I can't find anyone who has stock, so I assume same FP ETA with other vendors.

This leaves me with the option of 5300-W or a take off set of Mach1 HP Springs and sways on classified section - thoughts gentlemen?

@TeeLew @shogun32 @tosha @WItoTX @kz

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Update on the GT500 damper project: M-9602-M was supposed to arrive last week, but after a call with CJ Pony car CS, I find out that it is OOS until June 2024 since it is a special order kit. I can't find anyone who has stock, so I assume same FP ETA with other vendors.

This leaves me with the option of 5300-W or a take off set of Mach1 HP Springs and sways on classified section - thoughts gentlemen?

@TeeLew @shogun32 @tosha @WItoTX @kz
Have you tried checking with FP directly?
https://performanceparts.ford.com/part/M-9602-M

Rodpwnz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Vehicle(s)
2018 A10 PP1 401A GT

TeeLew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Odyssey, Toyota Tacoma, 89 GT project, 2020 Magnetic EB HPP w/ 6M
As far as suspension springs/bars go, if the money is there, go for the FP kit. The take off kit won't be bad, but you're stopping in Chicago on your way to New York. It's not the same.
Sponsored