JLT CAI withOUT a tune?

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
I already mentioned to put back your stock box. You make it sound like that hot air intake gave you another 40whp wot but gives you issues driving normally.

I guess you drive wot most of the time, kudos to you. 😂
[/QUOTE
Sponsored

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
Lol funny thing is that may be true with normal cai's...this is one that needs to be tuned and has been proven on countless dynos to add around 33 who...but I'm sure you know better.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
proven on countless dynos to add around 33
Not with a JLT. 6-8 hp max (tuned, NTR-- next to zero).
PMAS is absolute KING DADDY. with a good tune around 11-15hp. 20-25 with a larger TB.

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
Not with a JLT. 6-8 hp max (tuned, NTR-- next to zero).
PMAS is absolute KING DADDY. with a good tune around 11-15hp. 20-25 with a larger TB.
I have seen it live...my buddy went from bone stock and the 120 mm jlt with 93 octane tube and it added 31 whp

Sponsored

ice445

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT 6MT
That was supposed to say tune not tube
Well that's the problem, when you make two changes at once it's impossible to ascertain what provided most of the gains. If the tune adds 30WHP and the intake adds 1, you won't be able to know unless you retune it for the stock intake and compare back to back. But I understand not everyone wants to do that, because it's a waste of time and money.

From what I've seen, these types of intakes do flow a bit better at higher RPM and cool down faster once you start moving, but they often have much worse IAT's which means its often a wash in real world usage.

Pistol_91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 mustang GT
How did you close your box?
Went to home Depot. Bought a piece of lexan. Traced it out, cut it out and drilled and screwed it to the box where that "snorkel" is. Then used some silicone to seal fully.

rxryanm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GTP PP1
I appreciate your help btw. Instead of trying to guide me in the right direction you laugh and make fun. You have to remember not everyone is as intelligent and as knowledgeable as you. Us morons need guidance.
I'll provide some guidance (not about your problem) - make your own thread. Bumping threads that are almost 9 years old is terrible forum etiquette. Hope this helps.

Sponsored

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
That was supposed to say tune not tube
Ah I see what you are saying...it's the tune that's giving the HP and not just the intake
I'll provide some guidance (not about your problem) - make your own thread. Bumping threads that are almost 9 years old is terrible forum etiquette. Hope this helps.
I'm new to these forums...my bad.

WildHorse

N/A or GO HOME
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ⓇⒾⒸⓀⓎ ⓈⓅⒶⓃⒾⓈⒽ
Vehicle(s)
'17 S550
Vehicle Showcase
I have seen it live...my buddy went from bone stock and the 120 mm jlt with 93 octane tube and it added 31 whp
No it didn't (if it was an 18+). IF you just did the scaling for only the MAF, and nothing else, 6-8hp on the very top end of the RPM range.

Keep in mind I'm talking NA. Airflow does not like long curves, which the JLT has in abundance. All along the inside curve there will be vortices which will actually slow down airflow. Hence only the minor gains over the smaller diameter 18+ airbox.

Now yer thinking, but the stock setup is a long curve. Seemingly yes. Compromises. But those curves are shorter and there's more straight-line airflow. That's why the 18+ airbox is very hard to beat. PMAS got it right for all out performance. Straight line, one 90* turn.

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base
No it didn't (if it was an 18+). IF you just did the scaling for only the MAF, and nothing else, 6-8hp on the very top end of the RPM range.

Keep in mind I'm talking NA. Airflow does not like long curves, which the JLT has in abundance. All along the inside curve there will be vortices which will actually slow down airflow. Hence only the minor gains over the smaller diameter 18+ airbox.

Now yer thinking, but the stock setup is a long curve. Seemingly yes. Compromises. But those curves are shorter and there's more straight-line airflow. That's why the 18+ airbox is very hard to beat. PMAS got it right for all out performance. Straight line, one 90* turn.
I'm returning it 😂..I'm over it. Can you share a link with the pmas for a 2023 gt? And the one you are referring to is it the one where the air filter is in the wheel well? Or the 120 mm one that tune is required?

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
not much restriction in the stock intake

Daniel82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2023 mustang gt base

Thanks for the info. I returned the jlt and the pmas is arriving tomorrow. I found out the mmd grille I have let's too much air into the box and was creating too much turbulence...I'm hoping that the fact the pmas has a velocity stack that it will smooth out the turbulence...if not I guess I will go back to the drawing board lol
Sponsored