Sponsored

JLT CAI withOUT a tune?

MontelG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I've used a CAI on almost all my cars but they have always been Airaid or K&N, which don't require a tune. What happens if I run a JLT CAI without the tune on the 5.0? It says one is required and I understand the need if I want to take full advantage of it. I'm wondering what would happen for those times when I have to go back to the stock tune for warranty work or to troubleshoot something? Or perhaps the tuner has an issue and I'm waiting on a new one.
Sponsored

2Cool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ian
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium, PP in CO
It will run very lean and likely cause engine damage. Much more air coming in than the stock ECU sees and can account for.

OP
OP

MontelG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It will run very lean and likely cause engine damage. Much more air coming in than the stock ECU sees and can account for.
Thanks 2Cool! So the stock ECU can account for some additional air, such as with Airaid and K&N systems, but can't account for the larger volume from the bigger systems like JLT. I love the idea of the performance gains with the JLT but the dependency on the tune may lead me back to Airaid.

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
No point in getting an intake that doesn't require a tune.

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Thanks 2Cool! So the stock ECU can account for some additional air, such as with Airaid and K&N systems, but can't account for the larger volume from the bigger systems like JLT. I love the idea of the performance gains with the JLT but the dependency on the tune may lead me back to Airaid.

It's not the greater flow of a CAI that the ECU can't account for, it's the fact that the mass airflow sensor housing is calibrated to a specific size for accurate reading. If you change the MAF housing diameter with a larger CAI than the sensor won't send accurate information to the ECU.

Sponsored

OP
OP

MontelG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No point in getting an intake that doesn't require a tune.
While the gains will certainly be less, there are still some gains. For me the key is if it requires a tune, that is a limiting factor. I'll apply a tune to maximize what I can get but I want the ability to go back to stock if I need or want. To me, that ability is worth giving up the additional gains I'd get from the JLT. (IMO)

It's not the greater flow of a CAI that the ECU can't account for, it's the fact that the mass airflow sensor housing is calibrated to a specific size for accurate reading. If you change the MAF housing diameter with a larger CAI than the sensor won't send accurate information to the ECU.
Ahh. Very helpful. Thanks!

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
You won't feel a difference just by bolting on an intake that doesn't require a tune.

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
These guys are all correct, the car would go into limp mode pretty quickly if run without a tune.

Sponsored

Vinny@JLTPerformance

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
No intake system on the market has more third party testing done all with similar results!

As advertised, hard to find this day and age :)