Improving throttle sensitivity

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Be honest now . . . . This is really MCarsFan using a different handle, isn't it.
I dont understand, yes I m a fan of M cars or I used to be but not anymore thanks to shelby. But anyways I ll play along to cheer the forum up because you guys have collectively been extremely helpful to me.

I ordered the pedalmax from amazon. It arrives Tuesday. I will report here as soon as I install it.
Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I dont understand, yes I m a fan of M cars or I used to be but not anymore thanks to shelby. But anyways I ll play along to cheer the forum up because you guys have collectively been extremely helpful to me.

I ordered the pedalmax from amazon. It arrives Tuesday. I will report here as soon as I install it.
All those things do is get you to full throttle with less pedal travel, so it 'feels' faster and more responsive. The shortened 'window' makes a good portion of the pedal travel now useless and that smaller window gives you less modulation and control.

I never understood those pedal 'mods' - even BMWs have them. They seem like a waste of time. Why not just push the pedal down?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
All those things do is get you to full throttle with less pedal travel, so it 'feels' faster and more responsive. The shortened 'window' makes a good portion of the pedal travel now useless and that smaller window gives you less modulation and control.

I never understood those pedal 'mods' - even BMWs have them. They seem like a waste of time. Why not just push the pedal down?
This.

The reduced pedal modulation from these devices goes against the philosophy of having a driver's car. Just push the pedal down more. People are confusing throttle response with driver demand curves. The time to feel/hear a change in throttle vs pedal input is imperceptibly small, nearly instant. The driver demand curve is the ratio between pedal input and torque request in the engine calibration. They are often negatively exponential in lower throttle to make driving in traffic and low speed modulation easier, but by the time you reach 50% pedal, it is commanding >= 50% torque. Just push the pedal down.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase

Weren't you going to trade your car in as it's using too much oil; you are all over it in the other thread, and then comparing it to a GT3?
And in other thread you mentioning you getting an R instead ?

Now you buying parts for it ? ... It smells like MCarsFan here.. :paddle:

Sponsored

BlkGT3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
13 GT86 Autox, 16 GT350 TP, 06 Civic Si TTD car
For track use and autox I prefer and want a linear throttle. Just say no the the cheesy attempt by auto manufacturers to think a car is more powerful than it is. I hated and never used the gimmicky BMW sport mode for that reason.

Peter

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
This.

The reduced pedal modulation from these devices goes against the philosophy of having a driver's car. Just push the pedal down more. People are confusing throttle response with driver demand curves. The time to feel/hear a change in throttle vs pedal input is imperceptibly small, nearly instant. The driver demand curve is the ratio between pedal input and torque request in the engine calibration. They are often negatively exponential in lower throttle to make driving in traffic and low speed modulation easier, but by the time you reach 50% pedal, it is commanding >= 50% torque. Just push the pedal down.
Its not about just pushing the throttle more. Its about when you are not on gas (so %0 of throtle), getting on throttle has no immediate effect for the first 10-20% of the throttle travel.

Best way to put it is gas pedal has a "dead zone" similar to how regular non sports cars have dead zones in their steering wheel.

I want the gas pedal to have an immediate effect on throttle body. Ford has tuned this car on purpose to somehow make it easier to daily drive so that it doesnt become too "jumpy" for people who are not into this kind of sharp throttle.

This is not about lack of low end torque. There is a big difference between the issue of getting on throttle and torque not building up until 4000 rpm VS getting on the throttle but car not responding at all for the first second. Its like automatic transmission cars with torque converter. They are tuned on purpose to have soft throttle to make it easy for average public to drive comfortably in bumper to bumper traffic.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Its not about just pushing the throttle more. Its about when you are not on gas (so %0 of throtle), getting on throttle has no immediate effect for the first 10-20% of the throttle travel.

Best way to put it is gas pedal has a "dead zone" similar to how regular non sports cars have dead zones in their steering wheel.

I want the gas pedal to have an immediate effect on throttle body. Ford has tuned this car on purpose to somehow make it easier to daily drive so that it doesnt become too "jumpy" for people who are not into this kind of sharp throttle.

This is not about lack of low end torque. There is a big difference between the issue of getting on throttle and torque not building up until 4000 rpm VS getting on the throttle but car not responding at all for the first second. Its like automatic transmission cars with torque converter. They are tuned on purpose to have soft throttle to make it easy for average public to drive comfortably in bumper to bumper traffic.
No way that's true in Sport mode. My Mustang is VERY 'jumpy' in the first 10-20% pedal travel in sport mode.

I don't recall you responding to others who asked if you had that problem in sport mode. SO DO YOU FEEL THAT WAY IN SPORT DRIVING MODE?

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Erm, yeah no. My car didn't do that stock and the two GT350s I've driven definitely didn't do that. I get response to the lightest of pedal inputs and always have, even in normal mode.

OP
OP

UnhandledException

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
No way that's true in Sport mode. My Mustang is VERY 'jumpy' in the first 10-20% pedal travel in sport mode.

I don't recall you responding to others who asked if you had that problem in sport mode. SO DO YOU FEEL THAT WAY IN SPORT DRIVING MODE?
I drive my car exclusively on sport mode to the point my outer exhaust pipes look brand new. So yes I feel like that in sport mode.

I ll again refer to the M3 or M5, if you guys havent driven those cars you wont know what I m talking about.

For example, when I m blipping the throttle at low revs, it takes a good second and a lot of pedal travel for the revs to climb. I hate that. Its nothing to do with vodoo, i m sure its how ford tuned the drive by wire.

Maybe this is all perception based. Compared to a honda pilot or ford f150, yes its jumpy. But compared to say an E90 M3 with naturally aspirated v8 that revved to 8300 rpm, there is worlds of difference. The throttle on those cars are so sensitive your foot better not rest on pedal because car will be jumping all over the place every time you drive over a rough path of road.

Sponsored

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I drive my car exclusively on sport mode to the point my outer exhaust pipes look brand new. So yes I feel like that in sport mode.

I ll again refer to the M3 or M5, if you guys havent driven those cars you wont know what I m talking about.

For example, when I m blipping the throttle at low revs, it takes a good second and a lot of pedal travel for the revs to climb. I hate that. Its nothing to do with vodoo, i m sure its how ford tuned the drive by wire.

Maybe this is all perception based. Compared to a honda pilot or ford f150, yes its jumpy. But compared to say an E90 M3 with naturally aspirated v8 that revved to 8300 rpm, there is worlds of difference. The throttle on those cars are so sensitive your foot better not rest on pedal because car will be jumping all over the place every time you drive over a rough path of road.
Nope never driven one, just owned one for years. Give it a bigger blip. More throttle input.

live2ride90

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Haha I think its too sensitive in sport mode, hitting bumps in the road sounds like I am feathering the throttle :)

Good luck with the search!

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I just took a look at the throttle tables in the GT350 PCM and they can be advanced and sped up by a competent calibration technician. It's pretty easy to change the pedal mapping without disturbing anything else and without risk to the engine.

I did my own adjustments to (vastly) improve throttle response on my 2015 Explorer V6, but I see no reason to mess with my GT350. I used to drive an E92 M3 with individual throttles, and they were nice but the single big throttle on the Ford engines can get surprisingly close if it's tuned to do so.

TheDeadCow

Just some guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Hot Rod
Vehicle Showcase

And this is what you want?

IMO you just need to get used to the 350. It's not a BMW...