Sponsored

How long before we see some specs & prices?

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
This is a similar situation to the debate that was happening in the Corvette community when the C7 was being released.

There were many statements from GM about how much better the car was going to be, but they were pretty quiet about the specs. When the specs did come out, many people were surprised that they were only marginally better than the C6. The C7 debuted at a very similar MSRP as well, but there were huge discounts on the C6, so it was a much better value out the door.

After magazine reviews came in and people started getting their cars it became clear than the C7 was better in almost every way over an equivalent C6, but the C6 was less expensive and still an excellent car. Plus, the difference in look was similar to that of the Mustang. The C7 was dimensionally very similar, and from a distance had a clear Vette look. However the details were very different.

In the end there is no right or wrong choice. Buy a 2014 Mustang now and you will take advantage of an excellent buying opportunity, you'll have a very well understood car (should have all the kinks worked out), and you'll be getting a great vehicle.

Get a 2015 and you'll have something that is better in pretty much every way (or Ford failed in their efforts), but will be much more expensive out the door (due to high initial demand and little need for rebates), and may have teething pains.

There are positives and negatives either way. Just need to determine what is important to you. For me the IRS is a big deal, so I'm waiting. If it wasn't, I could imagine getting a great deal on a GT now, then moving up to the S550 after the mid-cycle refresh brings in the power-train updates (assuming that will happen based on past design cycles).

-T
Sponsored

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
http://jalopnik.com/the-one-tweak-to-the-2015-ford-mustang-that-will-change-1476575767

And since you've driven the 2015 Mustang for thousands of miles and you speak for all the common drivers and what they will notice...Oh wait.

Let's be real you bought a 2014 Mustang a couple of weeks back. All your post about the 2015 before that time were positive. All of your post after your purchase have been negative. We get it...You don't want the 2015 to be better than your 2014...Is your goal to stick around and bad mouth the 2015 now that you got a 2014? No need to be defensive about your purchase.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/april-2014-mustang-1713p2.html
I haven't badmouthed the car once. I know it will be better than my car. It should handle better, be faster, and have a better interior. I just think you guys are over exaggerating how much better this car will be. My point is bang for buck the 2014's can't be beat, much like the the C6 corvette prices when the C7 dropped. Still if I where to take the 6k I saved plus whatever savings are available from the expected MSRP raise, the 2014 will outhandle and leave the new GT in the dust on a straight away.

I think its hilarious when people like you try to psycho analyze others on the internet. You don't know me, have never even met me, yet presume to know what I am thinking and try to badmouth me. Grow up

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
Still if I where to take the 6k I saved plus whatever savings are available from the expected MSRP raise, the 2014 will outhandle and leave the new GT in the dust on a straight away.
Straightaway speed I understand. Outhandle would be interesting to test, especially because there are multiple dimensions to that. Also, one would have to be very specific on what changes to make and how to measure that - road course time, skidpad adhesion, steering response, etc.

Motor Trend did a good test that determined "best drivers car" which included not only the objective numbers but how the driver rated their experience too. I look forward to future comparisons, which probably will be available after the media drives take place in the next few months.

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Straightaway speed I understand. Outhandle would be interesting to test, especially because there are multiple dimensions to that. Also, one would have to be very specific on what changes to make and how to measure that - road course time, skidpad adhesion, steering response, etc.

Motor Trend did a good test that determined "best drivers car" which included not only the objective numbers but how the driver rated their experience too. I look forward to future comparisons, which probably will be available after the media drives take place in the next few months.

True, I am presuming some things here. I know I can put together a pretty rad suspension system with some great rubber for around 3 grand. Seeing as the current GT already handles pretty well I think this would put it in a cut above most other stock cars in the price range of the new Mustang

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
My point is bang for buck the 2014's can't be beat, much like the the C6 corvette prices when the C7 dropped. Still if I where to take the 6k I saved plus whatever savings are available from the expected MSRP raise, the 2014 will outhandle and leave the new GT in the dust on a straight away.
You keep throwing around that $6K+ number as if that's what you saved by not buying a 2015. 2015 GTs will be available at very close invoice, so the actual difference in price between it and a similarly configured 2014 will probably be much less than your $6K number. And for whatever that difference actually is, 2015 buyers are getting a better car with upgraded features and performance that has not already depreciated by a full model year like the 2014 has, being at the very end of its production cycle.

The bottom line is you got a very good car for a good price, and I hope you enjoy it. If the 2015s get rave reviews when they start showing up on the streets in a few months, and you have no regrets about your purchase, then that's great -- you accomplished your mission.

However, as has been stated before, everyone has different priorities. Many here want the latest and greatest Mustang, and don't mind spending a little bit more to get a car that is believed to be overall much better than its predecessor.

The bottom line is, I doubt that you getting a good deal on your car is going to do much to alter the purchase plans for most of the people here. Do keep in mind the primary topic of the forum we're on and the interest of most who are here... :)

Sponsored

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You keep throwing around that $6K+ number as if that's what you saved by not buying a 2015. 2015 GTs will be available at very close invoice, so the actual difference in price between it and a similarly configured 2014 will probably be much less than your $6K number. And for whatever that difference actually is, 2015 buyers are getting a better car with upgraded features and performance that has not already depreciated by a full model year like the 2014 has, being at the very end of its model year production cycle.

The bottom line is you got a very good car for a good price, and I hope you enjoy it. If the 2015s get rave reviews when they start showing up on the streets in a few months, and you have no regrets about your purchase, then that's great -- you accomplished your mission.

However, as has been stated before, everyone has different priorities. Many here want the latest and greatest Mustang, and don't mind spending a little bit more to get a car that is believed to be overall much better than its predecessor.

The bottom line is, I doubt that you getting a good deal on your car is going to do much to alter the purchase plans for most of the people here. Do keep in mind the primary topic of the forum we're on... :)
You really think the dealers are going to be selling the 2015 close to invoice? Its will be brand new and its being hyped to the moon. Dealers don't need to sell close to invoice to make a sale. You do also realize that this car will be more expensive than the s197 ever was right? Thats how its worked with every mustang. 10 years ago the Mustang GT had an msrp at around 25k (The guy who did my finances actually showed me the sticker price of the a 2003 Mustang GT he bought brand new). Its 31k now. And I responded to someone who was joking about getting a great deal on a current gen and I said it probably wont help much with the waiting based on the deal I and many others are getting right now. Its not until you came in getting all high and mighty trying to point out the car that I own and apparently you own one as well are going to be "outclassed" in every way. You were trolling and I took the bait. End of story.

aspensilver

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2006 MBenz SLK55 AMG - '97 BMW 540I - 2010 Audi S4
I haven't badmouthed the car once. I know it will be better than my car. It should handle better, be faster, and have a better interior. I just think you guys are over exaggerating how much better this car will be. My point is bang for buck the 2014's can't be beat, much like the the C6 corvette prices when the C7 dropped. Still if I where to take the 6k I saved plus whatever savings are available from the expected MSRP raise, the 2014 will outhandle and leave the new GT in the dust on a straight away.

I think its hilarious when people like you try to psycho analyze others on the internet. You don't know me, have never even met me, yet presume to know what I am thinking and try to badmouth me. Grow up

IDK man it does seem like from some of your posts in this thread you were defending your purchase a bit and minimizing improvements like IRS. This post you expressed your view more clearly without minimizing the new car improvements.

I think we all know about the killer deals on the old car, it would just be way too depressing for me to buy the old right when this new S550 is coming out. Glad you enjoy your new wheels.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
You really think the dealers are going to be selling the 2015 close to invoice? Its will be brand new and its being hyped to the moon.
Absolutely they will! Many here have already confirmed with dealerships that they can get X-Plan or near invoice pricing right away.

You do also realize that this car will be more expensive than the s197 ever was right?
There are some indications that the pricing will not change much. Most expect that it will be no more than 2-3% if at all.

Thats how its worked with every mustang. 10 years ago the Mustang GT had an msrp at around 25k (The guy who did my finances actually showed me the sticker price of the a 2003 Mustang GT he bought brand new). Its 31k now.
Sorry, but that's a lousy comparison. So a car increased $6K in price over ELEVEN YEARS? Is that supposed to be a big surprise? That averages out to around $545 per year. Doesn't sound that bad to me, especially considering that the car got much better and gained many more features during that time. We're talking ONE year here between models, not eleven.

Its not until you came in getting all high and mighty trying to point out the car that I own and apparently you own one as well are going to be "outclassed" in every way.
That's the point. I DO OWN an S197, and have for almost 3 years. I can speak from lots of experience as to the true implications of the new improvements that the 2015 will bring over my/our cars. And yes, I believe my 2012 will be outclassed by the 2015.... which is why I plan to buy a 2015!!!

You were trolling and I took the bait. End of story.
Trolling? I think anyone that has read my posts on this forum knows that "trolling" is not something I do. It sounds more to me like you are starting to lose your cool. I on the other hand am doing my best to be sensible and respectful of your purchase decision.

The simple fact is that I pointed out WHY you got such a good deal on your car. It's because it is at the very of not only its model year, but its generation and is being replaced by a highly anticipated model that is expected to be much better than the 2014 in virtually every way. It's simply the truth. If that hurts your pride, then I'm getting the feeling you're not as confident in your purchase decision as you let on.

Look bud, I've said it a few times already, and I'll say it again. You like your car and seem to be pleased with the deal you got. GREAT! I seriously am happy for you. Enjoy it!

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
IDK man it does seem like from some of your posts in this thread you were defending your purchase a bit and minimizing improvements like IRS. This post you expressed your view more clearly without minimizing the new car improvements.

I think we all know about the killer deals on the old car, it would just be way too depressing for me to buy the old right when this new S550 is coming out. Glad you enjoy your new wheels.
I just think there is a lot of guessing and assuming by people getting ready to purchase the new car. Honestly the IRS is cool and while I like road racing a lot I love drag racing (mostly cause I'm spoiled and there is a 1/4 track 20 minutes away) and the live axle just does that better. Also I know my Mustang is way more comfortable on regular roads than I was expecting so I think the switch to IRS is just a bit overblown, though better for inexperienced drivers who are maybe thrown into a unseen bad situation, I just don't know if the extra cost (presumed) will be worth it. I love my new car, so when someone starts attacking it I think its natural to get a bit defensive, that being said I'm sure I will be slightly jealous everytime I see an S550.

I really do hope the new Stang is as bad@$$ as Ford is making it sound though, Like someone else mentioned I will probably buy one after the MY refresh.

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Absolutely they will! Many here have already confirmed with dealerships that they can get X-Plan or near invoice pricing right away.

There are some indications that the pricing will not change much. Most expect that it will be no more than 2-3% if at all.

Sorry, but that's a lousy comparison. So a car increased $6K in price over ELEVEN YEARS? Is that supposed to be a big surprise? That averages out to around $545 per year. Doesn't sound that bad to me, especially considering that the car got much better and gained many more features during that time. We're talking ONE year here between models here, not eleven.

That's the point. I DO OWN an S197, and have for almost 3 years. I can speak from lots of experience as to the true implications of the new improvements that the 2015 will bring over my/our cars. And yes, I believe my 2012 will be outclassed by the 2015.... which is why I plan to buy a 2015!!!

Trolling? I think anyone that has read my posts on this forum knows that "trolling" is not something I do. It sounds more to me like you are starting to lose your cool. I on the other hand am doing my best to be sensible and respectful of your purchase decision.

The simple fact is that I pointed out WHY you got such a good deal on your car. It's because it is at the very of not only its model year, but its generation and is being replaced by a highly anticipated model that is expected to be much better than the 2014 in virtually every way. It's simply the truth. If that hurts your pride, then I'm getting the feeling you're not as confident in your purchase decision as you let on.

Look bud, I've said it a few times already, and I'll say it again. You like your car and seem to be pleased with the deal you got. GREAT! I seriously am happy for you. Enjoy it!
If you are so happy for me then why keep attacking me. Even on the internet its really easy to see when someone is being insincere. I've been on doing the whole internet forum thing for well over a decade and you seem like you were trolling to me. Again if I started insulting you or something you own, you would probably get a bit defensive as well, that's just human nature.

Sponsored

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Sorry, but that's a lousy comparison. So a car increased $6K in price over ELEVEN YEARS? Is that supposed to be a big surprise? That averages out to around $545 per year. Doesn't sound that bad to me, especially considering that the car got much better and gained many more features during that time. We're talking ONE year here between models, not eleven.
Also Just because that's not the way it worked at all here is the MSRP of the 2004, 2005 and 2011 base Mustang GT

2004: $23,675.00
2005: $25,150.00
2011: $29,645.00

Seems like it was bigger than I thought.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
If you are so happy for me then why keep attacking me. Even on the internet its really easy to see when someone is being insincere. I've been on doing the whole internet forum thing for well over a decade and you seem like you were trolling to me. Again if I started insulting you or something you own, you would probably get a bit defensive as well, that's just human nature.
Why do you perceive any of this as attacking or insulting you? That is certainly not my intent. In fact, as I recall, you were the one who, at the beginning of this discussion, proclaimed my ignorance.

While it's now apparent that my original response to you probably should have been worded more gently (though you may or may not have noted that I tried to soften the comment with a wink), it's no less true. I've simply been defending why it was not as ignorant as you seemed to think. Since then I have simply been responding to each point that you have tried to make along the way, presenting facts whenever possible.

When I say I'm happy for you, I'm not being insincere. I'm serious. The most important thing is that YOU are happy with your decision. I just hope you don't expect me or anyone else to sugar coat the facts to protect your ego.

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Why do you perceive any of this as attacking or insulting you? That is certainly not my intent. In fact, as I recall, you were the one who, at the beginning of this discussion, proclaimed my ignorance.

While it's now apparent that the wording in my original response to you probably should have been worded more gently (though you may or may not have noted that I tried to soften the comment with a wink), it's no less true. I've simply been defending why it was not as ignorant as you seemed to think. Since then I have simply been responding to each point that you have tried to make along the way, presenting facts whenever possible.

When I say I'm happy for you, I'm not being insincere. I'm serious. The most important thing is that YOU are happy with your decision. I just hope you don't expect me or anyone else to sugar coat the facts to protect your ego.

You have attacked my character multiple times now saying I have a pride problem, an ego problem, or I am "losing my cool". When actually I'm sitting here cool as a cat.
My ego is fine with the next mustang being better as you can see in a post I made a little further up. My mustang's ego might not be able to take the hit though.

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
You have attacked my character multiple times now saying I have a pride problem, an ego problem, or I am "losing my cool". When actually I'm sitting here cool as a cat.
My ego is fine with the next mustang being better as you can see in a post I made a little further up. My mustang's ego might not be able to take the hit though.

You've used words like ignorant, referenced cars as garbage and used sarcasm to belittle other posters. Your entire tone has been negative and attacking. Did you expect others to treat you with kid gloves after you stepped on their toes?

Maybe you had a bad day and that's ok..we all do from time to time. Don't act like everyone is on your case for no reason, however.

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You've used words like ignorant, referenced cars as garbage and used sarcasm to belittle other posters. Your entire tone has been negative and attacking. Did you expect others to treat you with kid gloves after you stepped on their toes?
I said the post was ignorant, At no point did I attack him personally. Also Please point out how any Mustang GT made after 1973 was not garbage. All of them since then have been underpowered, overweight or both since everyone wants to talk about the "TRUTH". The MY S197 is the first good Mustang GT since 1973. My Tone only turned negative after scottpe made an unwarranted post about the current gen cars, I don't think I was sarcastic at all until my last post before this because until you decided to chip back in to try and defend your poor behavior, the conversation was pretty much over. But since you like psycho analyzing people so much, the only reason you must have responded again is because your pride couldn't take the fact that I called you out on judging someones character you have never met, seen, or talked to outside of a couple forum posts.

Now from that post if anyone wants to say I was being negative and attacking, go ahead because I was.
Sponsored