Sponsored

How long before we see some specs & prices?

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Oh yes, its a porky pig alright. This wait on the weight and power of the Mustang is what is driving me crazy as well. Its not that I'm getting cold feet, its the offer thats on the table from GM right now. That and getting a new car during the Summer driving season and getting one that will basically be in the Winter season. I have time, I don't mind waiting until the 20th but if Ford drags their feet much longer I may change my mind. (Again I don't want to.) The information needs to get here by the 20th. Lets go Ford!!!
It probably won't help you to find out that I paid 6k under MSRP for a new 2014 GT two weeks ago.
Sponsored

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
It probably won't help you to find out that I paid 6k under MSRP for a new 2014 GT two weeks ago.
That would be because it is outclassed in nearly every respect by the new model and very few people want a 2014 at this point. ;)

But if someone is simply looking for a great deal on a good performing car, and doesn't mind it being 'outdated' the minute they drive it off the showroom floor, it's not a bad way to go. To some, getting something at a discount is a higher priority than having the latest and greatest or the best performance, and that's okay...

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
That would be because it is outclassed in nearly every respect by the new model and very few people want a 2014 at this point. ;)

But if someone is simply looking for a great deal on a good performing car, and doesn't mind it being 'outdated' the minute they drive it off the showroom floor, it's not a bad way to go. To some, getting something at a discount is a higher priority than having the latest and greatest or the best performance, and that's okay...
THIS has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have read on these forums. The current stang still has 420 hp and can make over 500 with about $2000 in mods. That doesn't sound outclassed to me. I laugh at the people saying they are so excited for the IRS when I am willing to be my next paycheck that 99% will never take the car to a road course or even Autocross event, therefore they will never really notice a difference in handling. Not that most would notice even on a track because you still run into the problem that most people aren't experienced race car drivers. People buy mustangs because they occasionally want to go fast in a straight line, either car will do that just fine and I just saved myself $6000 dollars to dump into the car to make it go much much faster in a straight line.

But lets face facts here. Up until 2011 the Mustang has been a terrible excuse for a performance car since the mid 70's. Underpowered, heavy in some models, poor handling, terrible interiors (still kind of has a terrible interior currently). They just fixed the power and handling issues in 2011. Now they are just improving those and appear to be finally putting a B****ing interior in these things.

If I really thought the current versions were going to be completely outclassed in 6 months I wouldn't have got one.

Nate408

Threads
Reaction score
But lets face facts here. Up until 2011 the Mustang has been a terrible excuse for a performance car since the mid 70's. Underpowered, heavy in some models, poor handling, terrible interiors (still kind of has a terrible interior currently).
I know some '03 Terminator owners who would strongly disagree with you here.

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I know some '03 Terminator owners who would strongly disagree with you here.
Sorry I should have been more specific in saying Mustang GT's. The Cobras were and always have been a cut above the rest and the 03-04 cobras are ridiculously awesome to this day...though the interiors are still garbage.

Sponsored

5.0 Coyote

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
THIS has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have read on these forums. The current stang still has 420 hp and can make over 500 with about $2000 in mods. That doesn't sound outclassed to me. I laugh at the people saying they are so excited for the IRS when I am willing to be my next paycheck that 99% will never take the car to a road course or even Autocross event, therefore they will never really notice a difference in handling. Not that most would notice even on a track because you still run into the problem that most people aren't experienced race car drivers. People buy mustangs because they occasionally want to go fast in a straight line, either car will do that just fine and I just saved myself $6000 dollars to dump into the car to make it go much much faster in a straight line.

But lets face facts here. Up until 2011 the Mustang has been a terrible excuse for a performance car since the mid 70's. Underpowered, heavy in some models, poor handling, terrible interiors (still kind of has a terrible interior currently). They just fixed the power and handling issues in 2011. Now they are just improving those and appear to be finally putting a B****ing interior in these things.

If I really thought the current versions were going to be completely outclassed in 6 months I wouldn't have got one.
+ 1000 on that,Plus you also have a car that looks like a Mustang,and doesn't look like a cross between a Mustang and a Fushion and sounds like a performance Mustang,not like a 4 banger Eco Boost,good for you and congrats on your new Mustang. That IRS is also way over rated for a normal Mustang owner.

C00KIE M0NSTER

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
I laugh at the people saying they are so excited for the IRS when I am willing to be my next paycheck that 99% will never take the car to a road course or even Autocross event, therefore they will never really notice a difference in handling.
Hello potato, you won't notice a difference on a road course because the track is smooth which doesn't unsettle the rear end. Try going fast on a bumpy road and the rear end doesn't know what to do because it's limited physically. Do people not drag race Corvettes? Do they not drag race Camaros? Do they not drag race GTRs? You don't need a solid rear end to go fast in a straight line. You're still going to be able to do that. Now, you can just do other things as well. :headbang:

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Hello potato, you won't notice a difference on a road course because the track is smooth which doesn't unsettle the rear end. Try going fast on a bumpy road and the rear end doesn't know what to do because it's limited physically. Do people not drag race Corvettes? Do they not drag race Camaros? Do they not drag race GTRs? You don't need a solid rear end to go fast in a straight line. You're still going to be able to do that. Now, you can just do other things as well. :headbang:

Im with you on this one..I had a Straight axle Jeep for years. I think I knocked every ounce of sense out of me after the first few pot holes. IRS will be a better driving car regardless of track/autoX use.

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
You obviously didn't understand what I just wrote. My point is that the majority of drivers won't notice a difference between the live axle and the IRS. Again most people see mustang (and camaro) and want them to go fast in a straight line. For the 5% that really will push the car hard on say a mountain road the IRS will be great. That said I doubt they will be able to pull away from a competent driver in a "old fashioned" 2011+ live axle mustang.

Holyfenix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Im with you on this one..I had a Straight axle Jeep for years. I think I knocked every ounce of sense out of me after the first few pot holes. IRS will be a better driving car regardless of track/autoX use.
Please tell me this is sarcasm....

Sponsored

Chris22888

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT 400a guard 50th appearance
Lets get some pricing all ready. Its taking them to long to release power numbers and prices. I can already price a lot of the 2015's at my dealer but not the mustang it is highly annoying.

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I laugh at the people saying they are so excited for the IRS when I am willing to be my next paycheck that 99% will never take the car to a road course or even Autocross event, therefore they will never really notice a difference in handling.
I think it will be noticable in street driving. Even the "old-tech" IRS of the '99-'04 Cobras felt different on bumpy street surfaces.

Not that most would notice even on a track because you still run into the problem that most people aren't experienced race car drivers.
I also think people will notice less dive and squat on braking and acceleration extremes, which you can experience in a street car driven in a spirited (or emergency) fashion.

People buy mustangs because they occasionally want to go fast in a straight line, either car will do that just fine and I just saved myself $6000 dollars to dump into the car to make it go much much faster in a straight line.
Some such as yourself certainly do. And yes, value for the money, saving $6000 for adding power makes sense.

They just fixed the power and handling issues in 2011. Now they are just improving those and appear to be finally putting a B****ing interior in these things.
The 2010 base GT suspension setup was a noticeable improvement over the 2005-2009 GT models because of the use of the '08-'09 Bullitt changes as a starting point. Again, for a street driving scenario, what I noticed was imprved steering feel (I think the steering gear changes came from the '07-'09 GT500), less brake dive and squat, and the rear felt more planted than m '07 GT. Again, this is a street driving scenario, which is different that an autocross or road course set-up.

It will be interesting to see how the straight-line acceleration between the 2 GTs will go. We don't know the specs on the new one, but if the power curves have broadened out, and there is more midrange pull, the new GT might have a slight advantage acclerating. The 2 factors for me that I think about are the weight and any additional parasitic losses because of going through some half shafts instead of a straight axle.

c3po

CNCforlife
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Fusion- company car
I think a majority will notice- maybe a little. Pericak himself has mentioned many times the "primary and secondary" effects of how the rear end reacts after hitting bumps (or whatever) and how much more effectively the IRS will sort those out. However, it's easy for them to notice because they've been comparing the new and outgoing models and have been targeting those suspension comparisons, not to mention trying to sell everybody on them. If it's more expensive to have the IRS, Ford is certainly going to try their damnest to sell it. I guess I've talked myself into being a fence-sitter on this subject.

scottpe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 GT 6MT w/ Brembos
THIS has to be one of the most ignorant statements I have read on these forums. The current stang still has 420 hp and can make over 500 with about $2000 in mods. That doesn't sound outclassed to me.
Maybe I chose the wrong wording. Does saying the S550 is better in nearly every way sound better to you? If not, I'm sorry, but the truth hurts.

The S550 GT will have an upgraded motor with more power, better suspension (for track AND street), better brakes, better interior, more standard features, less brake dive, stiffer chassis, less ugly gap in the wheel wells, lower and more aggressive profile, and to top it all off, there's a decent chance it will weigh less and get better gas mileage than the S197.

Laugh all you want. IRS DOES make a difference on the street. Its benefits go well beyond driving full out on a race course.

People buy mustangs because they occasionally want to go fast in a straight line, either car will do that just fine
Correction: SOME people buy Mustangs to go fast in a straight line.

and I just saved myself $6000 dollars to dump into the car to make it go much much faster in a straight line.
If that was your goal, and you don't care that your new car is not the latest and greatest, then your goal was accomplished. That's great for you and you have nothing to feel defensive about. Doesn't change the facts that the 2015, by all indications, will be a much better car.

But lets face facts here. Up until 2011 the Mustang has been a terrible excuse for a performance car since the mid 70's. Underpowered, heavy in some models, poor handling, terrible interiors (still kind of has a terrible interior currently).
That's your opinion obviously, not fact. My opinion is that there have been some REALLY great Mustangs since the mid '70s. Many of them were really fine handling and performing cars for their time.

Maybe you didn't do enough reading on this forum before purchasing then. ;) I kid of course.

But seriously though, you are obviously pleased with your purchase, and you have every right to be. But don't go waving a flag and trying to make it sound like you beat the system by saving a few grand off MSRP on the previous generation model. You got a good deal on a good car. But I'm not going to lose any sleep over it with the knowledge that I'll be able to pick up a 2015 in the near future at close to invoice and end up with a better car with a year's less depreciation on it.

Regardless, enjoy your ride. That's really what it's all about anyway!

tbonez3858

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bat mobile
Please tell me this is sarcasm....

http://jalopnik.com/the-one-tweak-to-the-2015-ford-mustang-that-will-change-1476575767

And since you've driven the 2015 Mustang for thousands of miles and you speak for all the common drivers and what they will notice...Oh wait.

Let's be real you bought a 2014 Mustang a couple of weeks back. All your post about the 2015 before that time were positive. All of your post after your purchase have been negative. We get it...You don't want the 2015 to be better than your 2014...Is your goal to stick around and bad mouth the 2015 now that you got a 2014? No need to be defensive about your purchase.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/april-2014-mustang-1713p2.html
Sponsored