Sponsored

How do you clean under the hood? Isn’t there wiring under there that can’t get wet ?

Unas2k5

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Samer
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, 2021 Explorer ,2019 Impala
Worried about cleaning under there. I see people just power washing under the hood with no worry lol. It was clean and now it’s real dusty. And my valve covers look terrible now. Here’s a video of just a few months ago.

Sponsored

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
Worried about cleaning under there. I see people just power washing under the hood with no worry lol. It was clean and now it’s real dusty. And my valve covers look terrible now. Here’s a video of just a few months ago.

I authored the thread linked below which shows two different engine bay cleaning methods, one using water and a hose, one water-less.

Engine Bay Cleaning and Detailing | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

luca1290

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luca
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT, Mercedes A250 4Matic (W177)
Besides, yes water can get under the hood of a car.

The wiring is waterproof, just don't use too much pressure and don't wash the engine when it's hyper hot.
Leave the hood open overnight so it can dry well.

skinnyb

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT Premium PP1, 10 Auto Grabber Blue
I turn my Pressure Washer off and just use line pressure for the rinse when I rinse my engine bay. I use APC and brushes to get into all the nooks and crannies then a simple rinse. Then I dress with Koch Chemie Motorplast.. It is self leveling and you just wipe up the drips a few minutes after it settles.

junits15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
The wiring in the engine can get wet and it does get wet every time it’s driven in the rain.

power washer could force water past the connector seals I’d use a hose.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
does get wet every time it’s driven in the rain.
It does if you drive around without a hood on or if you have a big hole in it.

Generally speaking wiring should not be getting wet everytime it rains if you have an OEM hood on, that's the whole point of them is to keep the elements out. Sure a tiny bit of water can get in right below the hood vents but it's at the most a few drops not necessarily getting "wet".

I've driven in torrential rains and the engine bay is bone dry. If yours gets wet everytime you have a big leak somewhere or are running a vented hood with no rain tray.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra

sms2022

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
SS
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 premium
I use quick detailer to wipe it down. If you do this every month or so it should be enough. Otherwise, if you pull off one of the wiring connectors you’ll see they are waterproof. Just use a hose with a spray attachment. Power washer is overkill unless you have oil and grease leaking.

Kabayo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT

Just cover the alternator, battery box, and fuse box with some cheap Walmart plastic bags and you should be ok to spray wash it.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I've only recently started to clean engine bays on my vehicles, but yeah the engine can get properly wet and its fine. Most of the connectors and wiring looms are decently protected against water.

The engine bay isn't sealed off to water at all, plenty can get in through the grill and radiator, and there are other large inlets (the exhaust headers and bottom/back of the engine is wide open to air and spray, the fenders are not sealed either)

I drove 800 miles through constant heavy rain on one trip with large hood vents and even that was fine.

With a warm, but not overly hot engine bay, dust off what you can with a dry brush and dry rags. Spray/mist with soapy water all over. Agitate if you like with a brush. Rinse with low pressure water. Dry what you can reach with towels. Don't forget the underside of the hood while it's open. Let it dry, or go ahead and drive it.

The only thing I would avoid is high pressure water near the wiring harnesses and fuse boxes.

Sponsored

MAGS1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT
I use an IK pump sprayer with ONR rinseless wash, microfibers that are dedicated for the engine bay only (so as not to potentially scratch my paint) and detailing brushes. I like the pump sprayer, not a huge fan of taking a hose or power washer to the engine bay even though everything is pretty well sealed

GrabberBargeCaptain

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mustang GT Base 6sp in Grabber Blue
I've always used Meguiars D101 all purpose cleaner, diluted 10:1 on a warm engine, scrubby brush and detailing brushes and just hose it off. No pressure washer. I then dry it off by getting on the freeway and blasting all the water out. Always works for me.

This is on greasy, dirty engines though. If you have a relatively clean one feel free to use a gentler cleaner like some people mentioned, quick detailer, ONR or the like.

D101 is good stuff, im all for multi-use products for detailing if at all possible.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
It does if you drive around without a hood on or if you have a big hole in it.

Generally speaking wiring should not be getting wet everytime it rains if you have an OEM hood on, that's the whole point of them is to keep the elements out. Sure a tiny bit of water can get in right below the hood vents but it's at the most a few drops not necessarily getting "wet".

I've driven in torrential rains and the engine bay is bone dry. If yours gets wet everytime you have a big leak somewhere or are running a vented hood with no rain tray.
My GT500 rain tray hasn’t been installed for nearly three years and it’s seen a LOT of rain here in Florida with zero issues. In fact the motor gets more wet from me opening the hood than it does sitting parked in the rain.
Yes you can pressure wash the engine bay. But as usual, the recommendation is stated for the least common denominator…i.e. the idiot who puts 3000 psi into the electrical plugs from 6” away.

DFB5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Fastback
I use quick detailer to wipe it down. If you do this every month or so it should be enough. Otherwise, if you pull off one of the wiring connectors you’ll see they are waterproof. Just use a hose with a spray attachment. Power washer is overkill unless you have oil and grease leaking.
THIS!!! A little and often rather than a lot and less often.

I wipe the engine bay after each wash, this only takes about 2 minutes and is a great chance to check the oil and fluids while you are at it.

IMG-0794.jpg

IMG-1582.jpg

IMG-5924.jpg

Just cover the alternator, battery box, and fuse box with some cheap Walmart plastic bags and you should be ok to spray wash it.
THIS!!

If you find the plastic bag is being moved by the pressure of the hose, then weigh it down with a saturated towel.

IMG-0617.jpg

IMG_3336.jpg

My GT500 rain tray hasn’t been installed for nearly three years and it’s seen a LOT of rain here in Florida with zero issues. In fact the motor gets more wet from me opening the hood than it does sitting parked in the rain.
Yes you can pressure wash the engine bay. But as usual, the recommendation is stated for the least common denominator…i.e. the idiot who puts 3000 psi into the electrical plugs from 6” away.
THIS!

I once spent hours cleaning engine bays attempting to keep water out of the equation, so it took me a lot to overcome that fear. I don't screw around anymore................................

IMG-4022.jpg

The key is to not be an idiot about it. Point the hose or pressure washer at the intake, alternator or fuse box, then I guess you deserve trouble. Depending on the layout of your engine bay, cover up any sensitive areas (exposed air intakes, alternator, battery ect) and don't focus on any one point for too long. That applies to garden hoses and pressure washers. I also follow up with my blower to remove any standing water afterwards.

I also think knowing your vehicle is key. For example, the coil cover on my Falcon's inline 6 engine is known to allow some moisture to enter and foul the coils, so in that case I would absolutely be covering that up.

IMG-0725.jpg

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
I wipe the engine bay after each wash, this only takes about 2 minutes and is a great chance to check the oil and fluids while you are at it.
Ditto.

I once spent hours cleaning engine bays attempting to keep water out of the equation, so it took me a lot to overcome that fear. I don't screw around anymore.
Same here, I didn't hit an engine bay with water until the Web became a thing, D, and I discovered that it can be done safely with simple common sense. I don't screw around any more, either. <grin>

The key is to not be an idiot about it.
That says it all. Do NOT let your OCD make you do something stupid. <chuckling>

The wife's 2016 Cadillac CT6, 40k. No sense in posting a photo of Sarah's bay, she only has 5k under her belt, has never experienced a rain shower, and like D, I also wipe everything down after a wash, then shine up the black rubber and vinyl with Wolfgang's or similar.

caddy-engine-wash_after.jpg
Sponsored