Sponsored

Hood corrosion

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
Bare aluminum will quickly form an oxidation coating that inhibits further oxidation. But if the aluminum is in contact with a dissimilar metal...the two will continue to sacrificially corrode until one or the other material is totally consumed. If you own a boat, the boat usually has a zinc block to be used as a sacrificial electrode to protect the metal in the boat and motor from corrosion. By the end of the boating season the zinc block is nearly gone and has to be replaced. Think of your hood as the zinc block for your Mustang.
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Is that new? For some reason i remember it being less before i left ford. Maybe i have my numbers confused.
Well, I'm not sure how new or when the paint/corrosion warranty terms were last revised within Ford, but it's noted everywhere online as such and even within the Owners Manual packages.

There is this PDF, which visually documents ALL Ford warrantable and non-warrantable paint concerns:
http://m.ford.oemdtc.com/GSB/G0000108.pdf

And this Ford Service Content PDF which outlines the actual Ford Paint/Corrosion warranty (see page 7 of the document):
http://www.fordservicecontent.com/F...ranty-Guide-version-1_frdwa_EN-CA_02_2015.pdf

Hopefully the above links are helpful for all folks having paint concern issues.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
Had mine in today getting the A/C compressor fixed. They took pictures of my hood and sent them into Ford. Bodyshop manager said they see the same exact thing on MKZ's quite often (water collects because of the seam seal) so it should be no problem getting it covered under warranty.

The only thing that makes me nervous is he said they'll repaint and refinish the damage. What is the point if they don't do anything about the seam seal?

RubyRedVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Convertible
I can't believe this issue is still around! It's been 10+ years and still not addressed by Ford? I've had (2) previous S197 Mustangs that both had the hood corrosion repaired under warranty. However, in both cases it came back. I've come to the conclusion there isn't a permanent solution for the hood corrosion issue.

Sponsored

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
Another possibility besides the other suspects is poor paint coverage. When you make a stamping you have very sharp edges and those sharp edges do not allow paint film buildup. Paint tends to roll off of sharp edges. So if the paint layer is very thin this could allow moisture to reach the aluminum and corrosion can start. Anybody ever see clear coated wheels corrode under the clear, this almost always seems to start at a sharp edge and then creeps under the clear coat. This is just a quess as to the cause but it seems possible in my mind. The pic of my hood shows all the areas that had corrosion, all of them at locations of a punch through or stamping of the aluminum which leaves sharp edges. In my case I don't believe it was galvanic corrosion because I think Ford would have engineered a solution to that. The knocking down of sharp edges is something that no mass produced vehicle would have. I have seen seams coated with seam sealer before they are painted though, that would prevent the problem. I bet the corrosion started at the stamped edge of these 2015+ hoods. I really had hoped not to see this problem again with the S550, pisses me off and I don't even own one yet. If you monitor the hood you can catch it before it creeps to the topside. It should a warranty item for sure but I know how they like to wiggle out of covering certain problems. I suggest everyone staying on good terms with their dealers as to enhance the possibility of a good will repair. There were plenty of S197 guys who did not receive any help. Good Luck OP
2014-01-31%2017.10.02[1] (2).jpg
didn't
2014-02-01%2015.30.13[1] (2).jpg

Last edited:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Another possibility besides the other suspects is poor paint coverage. When you make a stamping you have very sharp edges and those sharp edges do not allow paint film buildup. Paint tends to roll off of sharp edges. So if the paint layer is very thin this could allow moisture to reach the aluminum and corrosion can start.
Probably wouldn't hurt to give all the seams a good coat of wax once a year. Coat of wax might help keep water out of small cracks, etc along the seam.

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
They have had this issue for 17 years now ffs. When will they learn how to control this shit?

dfrost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt pp Guard.
Any word from Ford on if they are taking care of this? I ask because quests what?.... Both of my 2015s have it also... Same place, leading pass side edge of hood. I haven't taken it to Ford yet, just too damn busy right now.
:frusty:

Lost

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium 6 speed blackout /3.55
Any word from Ford on if they are taking care of this? I ask because quests what?.... Both of my 2015s have it also... Same place, leading pass side edge of hood. I haven't taken it to Ford yet, just too damn busy right now.
:frusty:
Are you right on the coast?

Sponsored

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
RobD: you haven't said that the hood aluminum is corroding away...you did say that the paint is blistering along the 'sharp' edges? If oxidation/corrosion is occurring along the sharp edges, I would expect that water may be working under the paint and the resulting oxidation is lifting the paint. (Your example of the coated wheels).
The F150 has inert pads that separate aluminum from steel parts to prevent galvanic corrosion and weakening of the aluminum. I don't see how Ford can prevent oxidation at sharp edges where anti-corrosion protection would be the thinnest, if at all.

RobD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Mustang GT
tsunami: Yes my hood had the white powdery corrosion under the paint. I wire wheeled down to shiny aluminum, then self etching primer, followed by top coat. The galvanic corrosion issue could be part of it but I don't think that is the entire story. I got to thinking about the dissimilar metals and I wonder if these aluminum panels are being contaminated by the machine that punches out the part. I'm thinking microscopic iron particles clinging to the edges of the stamped aluminum part could lead to galvanic corrosion. I know it's a stretch to think that way but crazier things have happened. Back to my other thought of thin paint coverage. Years ago I bought a new white F 150 and I noticed a flaw in the door jam at a spot weld. Spot welds sometimes have sharp edges after the electrode melts the panels together and at this sharp point there was rust. Further evidence of paint not adhering well to a sharp point or edge.

I absolutely hate that this problem has reared it's ugly head once again. I haven't looked at the F 150 forums...sure hope they are not having issues. If we could be sure Ford would step up and fix these problems it wouldn't be as upsetting but I know they tend to wiggle out of these cosmetic issues. They blame acid rain or other environmental BS. I worked with a guy that had a 08 Taurus X and after about a year and a half his hood had the dreaded corrosion. No warranty for him...they did split the cost of the repair with him though...a good will effort by the dealer.

Souldriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 - Guard GT Prem. PP
I had this on my 2007 but only after about 8 years. Typical front hood and another behind the hood scoop.

I checked my 2016 today and it looked clesn except one small spot which was discrete enough that it was hard to find but had the same texture that i could not ignore it. I cleaned and heavy waxed the spot with hopes it is nothing at all.

Was planning on ceramic coating the car too but dont want it blistering off.

Car is about 9 months old, and this winter has been extremely mild with me avoiding the snow in that car.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Is [MENTION=7992]FordService[/MENTION] still active?

My 2015 has hood corrosion and I do have a 5 year extended warranty but my local dealership today tried to tell me that the warranty does not cover it. I am looking through my paperwork now to confirm and it would be nice to have ford chime in as well.

john_688

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost Premium
Is @FordService still active?

My 2015 has hood corrosion and I do have a 5 year extended warranty but my local dealership today tried to tell me that the warranty does not cover it. I am looking through my paperwork now to confirm and it would be nice to have ford chime in as well.

Had this problem with my 2006 & 2013 , both after about 30 months .
Both times repaired under warranty , no questions asked .
Find another dealership .
Sponsored