Here's mine the worse of the 2 spots
image.jpg
Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
^^^ So it looks like if this problem raised it's ugly head that it will be along the edge of the hood where the lower steel sheet and upper aluminum sheet make contact.

I take it there is supposed to be some kind of sealant between the two metal layers to help prevent the galvanic corrosion from occurring?

V6junkie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 v6 ingot silver
I would assume so but hopefully I'll get an answer soon it'll be a few weeks with the holidays and all before I can take it in

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So I'm wondering why Ford just doesn't make both sides of the hood out of aluminum. That would cure the galvanic action between two dissimilar metals and also make the hood lighter.

I take it there isn't any corrosion issues between the aluminum fenders and the rest of the car ... or do the front fenders also corrode in certain areas?

Mustm26

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
BOTH sides of the hood are stamped Aluminum. I just put a magnet on mine. However at the corners on the front of it where it meets the bumper fascia, there is appears to be riveted inside the sandwiched sections what must be a steel reinforcing plate since the magnet was attracted to the areas between the rivets.

Most likely the corrosion in the photo above was due to oxidation of the Aluminum before it was primed as I read happens quickly with bare raw aluminum.

Sponsored

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BOTH sides of the hood are stamped Aluminum. I just put a magnet on mine. However at the corners on the front of it where it meets the bumper fascia, there is appears to be riveted inside the sandwiched sections what must be a steel reinforcing plate since the magnet was attracted to the areas between the rivets.

Most likely the corrosion in the photo above was due to oxidation of the Aluminum before it was primed as I read happens quickly with bare raw aluminum.
Ah, good info. I never tried the magnet test on the inside sheet of metal. If they are still mixing metal in the hood, why not make everything aluminum, including reinforcement plates and rivets?

I wonder if the cars that suffer from this were ones made during the time of year when it's very humid there in Flat Rock, MI? Might make sense if you think it's caused by oxidation setting in before painting.

OP
OP
activeGT

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Ah, good info. I never tried the magnet test on the inside sheet of metal. If they are still mixing metal in the hood, why not make everything aluminum, including reinforcement plates and rivets?

I wonder if the cars that suffer from this were ones made during the time of year when it's very humid there in Flat Rock, MI? Might make sense if you think it's caused by oxidation setting in before painting.
Mine was oct. 2014

cush

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium with PP, Guard Metalic

I tend to agree with this assumption for the paint bubling (lack of adhesion, due to oxidation on the aluminum) more than the possibility of a gavanic reaction from dissimilar metals.
:thumbsup:

Fausted

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Caleb
Vehicle(s)
GT Prem
Ughhh... This makes my skin crawl, part of the reason I traded my 12 in... I had it on multiple spots on the outside lip of my hood.

Blackdog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda Element
I noticed something very similar to the picture on the first page of this thread on my car when I was doing the inspection of my Mustang before I purchased it. It's on the under side of the hood on a seam. To me, it looks like a sloppy job with the sealant. It never crossed my mind it could have been corrosion as the car was built 3 weeks prior to me picking it up and noticing this (I order the car the way I wanted it). The area is on the underside of the hood, on the seam, on the right side/front leading edge, but underneath on the seam. It's also in the same spot on the hood on the left side, but not as noticeable which re-enforeced my thought that is was a sloppy sealant job.

Rich

Sponsored

jkstang78

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jason
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Question for the couple of guys who have had this problem already. 1 was the car garaged or always sitting out in the elements.

2. Do you all think that this will be a problem with the GT because of the heat vents and always having water run down them. The water drains out towards the front of the hood.

Plus on my 2000 SVT lightning. The stock Aluminum hood did this right along the leading edge also. I ended up buying a heavier fiberglass hood.

OP
OP
activeGT

activeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 350 Lead-foot grey
Garage queen. 4000 miles.

It is caused from the seam and the seam sealer.

Question for the couple of guys who have had this problem already. 1 was the car garaged or always sitting out in the elements.

2. Do you all think that this will be a problem with the GT because of the heat vents and always having water run down them. The water drains out towards the front of the hood.

Plus on my 2000 SVT lightning. The stock Aluminum hood did this right along the leading edge also. I ended up buying a heavier fiberglass hood.

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
I found hood corrosion this past weekend as I was cleaning my car. I'm already bringing it in this week to get the A/C fixed (once the part comes in) and I'm definitely going to bring it up with the service manager. This will be covered under warranty, right?

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
I found hood corrosion this past weekend as I was cleaning my car. I'm already bringing it in this week to get the A/C fixed (once the part comes in) and I'm definitely going to bring it up with the service manager. This will be covered under warranty, right?

http://i1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee465/qrk5001/IMG_9958.jpg[IMG][/quote]

Should be unless youve exceeded the miles for the 3yr 36k.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Paint corrosion has different warranty terms beyond the 3/36.

RUST & CORROSION
Your vehicle´s body sheet metal panels are covered for an extended Corrosion Coverage Period, which lasts for five years, regardless of miles driven. The extended warranty coverage only applies if a body sheet metal panel becomes perforated due to corrosion during normal use due to a manufacturing defect in factory-supplied materials or factory Workmanship. If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles. For damage caused by airborne material (environmental fallout) where there is no factory-related defect involved and therefore no warranty - our policy is to provide free repair of paint damage due to the airborne material for 12 months or 12,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Sponsored