Sponsored

Help- NO STEERING!

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Good morning folks
Woke up today to run an errand, started car and got the warnings of service advance trac, steering assist fault, hill assist not available and drive mode selection not available. Was able to drive the car, but steering was heavy obviously and thought the warnings would go away since the car has sat for a week without running.

got to the gas station, filled up and started the car. This time, steering wheel does not move, locked and extremely heavy.
Disconnected battery and tried again. This time the only warning coming on is the steering assist.
What could be causing this?

car drove fine last week and has been sitting since last Saturday

currently waiting for tow to the dealer
Sponsored

SnakeMaster16

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Giovanni
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP1
The only time I had this issue, was because I mounted a catch-can on the passenger side where the ground cable is. It was loose and caused all the faults you listed and the steering wheel was basically unusable. Once I tightened everything up, it resolved and never had the issue again. Don't ask me why that causes that, but check the cable, and maybe it'll be a simple fix. 👍

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, '92 240SX, '08 Evo, '20 Mustang GT
...started car and got the warnings of service advance trac, steering assist fault, hill assist not available and drive mode selection not available.
I got a recall letter last year that talked about some possible fault, and the fault could shut down all of those things.

My Mustang is only 1 year newer than yours. Did you get a recall letter and take your car in? If your car wasn't included in that recall, maybe you should ask about it at the dealer.

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I had this on my 2013 Ford Focus had this same fault "steering assist". The internal electric motor in the steering rack went out. It cost me about $1800 to replace. Good Luck.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
The only time I had this issue, was because I mounted a catch-can on the passenger side where the ground cable is. It was loose and caused all the faults you listed and the steering wheel was basically unusable. Once I tightened everything up, it resolved and never had the issue again. Don't ask me why that causes that, but check the cable, and maybe it'll be a simple fix. 👍
interesting, I have the FP catch can but didn’t think to check it, I will have the dealer check since it is with them now

Sponsored

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I got a recall letter last year that talked about some possible fault, and the fault could shut down all of those things.

My Mustang is only 1 year newer than yours. Did you get a recall letter and take your car in? If your car wasn't included in that recall, maybe you should ask about it at the dealer.
no recall on the vehicle

Crew4991

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Crew
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang, 2006 Viper
Maybe good ol' Ford issued a software update for steering wheels not working. 😒

🤣🤣🤣

1680890402762.png

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I had created this technical reference thread for the EPAS unit a while back, which contains a lot of info for the EPAS/PSCM.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-epas-pscm-tech-accumulation.160616/

Aside from an electrical issue, fuse or the internal board going bad in the EPAS, many don’t know that the EPAS actually contains a rubber belt and cogged gears. If the belt jumped the gears or the belt has broke, it will disable EPAS too.

Do you have any codes present or have you checked for any stored DTC’s? This would help with diagnostics.

Some other common issues with the Ford EPAS units is water intrusion, which kills the board… Again, without knowing more if there are codes, or if there’s a blown fuse, loose connector, etc… it’s really shooting in the dark.

Hope something there in the hyperlinked thread is helpful.

Jetset335

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
The problem with electric power steer system is everything is internal to the steering rack, including control module. Unless you have a bad ground or a blown fuse.

OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I had created this technical reference thread for the EPAS unit a while back, which contains a lot of info for the EPAS/PSCM.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/s550-epas-pscm-tech-accumulation.160616/

Aside from an electrical issue, fuse or the internal board going bad in the EPAS, many don’t know that the EPAS actually contains a rubber belt and cogged gears. If the belt jumped the gears or the belt has broke, it will disable EPAS too.

Do you have any codes present or have you checked for any stored DTC’s? This would help with diagnostics.

Some other common issues with the Ford EPAS units is water intrusion, which kills the board… Again, without knowing more if there are codes, or if there’s a blown fuse, loose connector, etc… it’s really shooting in the dark.

Hope something there in the hyperlinked thread is helpful.
there were no CEL on, just the messages I listed above. I don’t have a OBD2 to check codes. I will see what the dealer says.
Not sure if water would be a problem. Car was covered all week in doors

Sponsored
OP
OP
09cs

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Update

Was told the car was ready for pick up. I picked up the car this morning. Car had power steering, but still getting the warning to service the power steering and advance trac....

DadzMach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1
Update

Was told the car was ready for pick up. I picked up the car this morning. Car had power steering, but still getting the warning to service the power steering and advance trac....
Sounds like as normal, a Dealer did a bang up job of fixing and the testing it to make sure all is ok.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Well, sounds like whoever was the Tech didn't go through the entire script of the Ford Shop manual "diagnosis ifs, no/yes, then go tos"....

The S550 has a very well known common occurrence for AdvanceTrac errors that are caused by (3) possibilities:

- Blown or loose AdvanceTrac fuse. Go to this thread, first post - and take note it was for a 2015. If that isn't the fuse location in your S550, then go to Google and type in your year/make/model and the words "fuse diagram" and you will get the info...
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...for-advance-track-and-traction-control.82309/

- Rear Wheel Thrust washer damage or failure of part. Again, this is a very common and well documented issue with the S550's where if that part is bad on either axle it will throw an AdvanceTrac error.
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/clunk-when-taking-off.83492/page-2#post-3183924

- The small harness at the air box which may also be an issue if it has become disconnected or wobbled loose will also throw an AdvanceTrac error... part is pictured in THIS thread:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/traction-control-fuse.109035/

----

I initially posted the EPAS/PSCM info because you're saying you're loosing power steering capabilities, but have an "AdvancTrac" error... My initial thought is EPAS/PSCM for sure, BUT I've never seen the AdvanceTrac error with that type of fault.

So I'm throwing the above AdvanceTrac possibilities out there now IF the issue is not directly associated with the EPAS/PSCM - but is somehow causing a secondary failure of the steering - which again is odd that it would....

---

Let us know how you make out and what they find. Did the Tech even do the wiggle test of the EPAS harness or see there are any loose ground wires in the engine bay? Did he check for any rodent damage, because rodents love chewing up vehicle harnesses....

WItoTX

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT350
OP, do you have the dyno plug pulled by chance?

Or an excessive amount of wheelspin (Think brake-stand)?

Can you pop off the front wheels and look at the wheel speed sensors/wire and the mag-ride wire/connection?

With resetting the battery, and presumably the dealer clearing the code, I can't imagine you should still have a problem. If you still have warranty, take it back and leave it there until they fix it. What a joke they pulled that on you.

-Armoured-

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wolfgang
Vehicle(s)
Mazda RX7
Do these dummies honestly not check the vehicle AFTER claiming they fixed it? Do they honestly like to have cars return for repairs after they just finished repairing it for the same issues??

I certainly do not run my business like that. 🤬
Sponsored