Sponsored

GT350R Weight

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
Why would one think the GT350 is that much lighter than a base GT? 90% of the parts, the meat of the car, is the same. Bigger brakes, little different aero to the car, some suspension tweaks, but still a big engine about the same size as the 5.0.

I wouldn't expect a base Gt350 to be very different weight than a base GT

The R is different as it has the CF wheels which knock out wieight and a bit more stripped I believe
Based on what you've said you don't really know what all they did for light weighting.
Sponsored

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Is the quote for the GT350R a worst-case scenario, fully loaded version though? I have a feeling that an R without any of the added stuff is less.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I mean, there has to be around 80-100 pounds in this stuff (modules, wiring, brackets, fasteners):

Electronics Package
-Seven (7) Speaker Audio System
-Audio (stereo) unit with Sync 3
-Navigation
-Dual-Zone Climate Control
-Rear-View Camera
-Turn Signal Mirrors
-Universal Garage Door Opener
-Auxiliary Gauges
-Floor mats
-Tire sealer/inflator kit

Fox5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP magnetic
Kind of a let down, 3650? For an R package, too heavy.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Regardless, what if the car rides on rails and feels just every bit as tight as a 3500lb car? What if it's compliant and responsive and nimble? Let's actually get our cars and thrash em a bit, THEN decide if it's too heavy or not. Either case, my rear seats? Gone. Resonators, gone.

Sponsored

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
Kind of a let down, 3650? For an R package, too heavy.
I've been buying Mustangs for decades and it never ceases to amaze me that there are some people who set unrealistic expectations for a particular model only to be "disappointed" when Ford does not deliver the vehicle they feel they should have. If you thought a 2015 GT350 R was going to weigh what a 2000 Cobra R did, you are not paying attention to what manufacturers have to comply with in order to offer a street-legal car with the track prowess this car offers.

Last edited:

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
@3650... that's still only 6.8 lbs. per fwhp. And weight has no effect on top speed. However, it MAY have something to do with getting you there. Must be those "safety canopy curtain" airbags in the headliner! GeeZ! :D

I've still seen NO weights from GubMint Motors on the 2016 Camaro. And I have a feeling it'll for quite a while before we hear from GM.

I'll just wait until some delivered 350's are scaled with 1/4 tank of gas.

That is all...

Spa2k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You don’t want to know
If you thought a 2015 GT350 R was going to weigh what a 2000 Cobra R did, you are not paying attention to what manufacturers have to comply with in order to offer a street-legal car with the track prowess this car offers.
Right. Safety standards have added a little weight, plus the tires are larger, etc.

So the GT350 has a few extra pounds and gets pretty crummy gas mileage. Who's going to cancel their order? :D

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Right. Safety standards have added a little weight, plus the tires are larger, etc.

So the GT350 has a few extra pounds and gets pretty crummy gas mileage. Who's going to cancel their order? :D
No one!

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Why would one think the GT350 is that much lighter than a base GT? 90% of the parts, the meat of the car, is the same. Bigger brakes, little different aero to the car, some suspension tweaks, but still a big engine about the same size as the 5.0.

I wouldn't expect a base Gt350 to be very different weight than a base GT

The R is different as it has the CF wheels which knock out wieight and a bit more stripped I believe
I dont expect a huge savings, but I did expect the track pack car to come in lower than a PP car.

Less weight
-Larger brakes yes, but 2 piece rotors actually should shave a lot of weight
-More aluminum in the suspension (exactly what has not been shared)
-Aluminum bumper beam-I added this since its explicitly called out on the GT350 window sticker, but not on the GT
-CF bumper support
-Composite intake manifold and oil pan
-it has been hinted the engine itself is lighter
-most likely has less sound deadening material than the GT (I'd hope at least)

More weight-
-Larger Calipers
-Larger wheels/tires
-Tranny/diff/oil coolers/fluids for R and track pack cars

Areas for non-R weight reduction
-back seat
-lighter wheels
-remove exhaust resonators
-lighter mufflers

I will still weight it myself when it arrives :shrug:

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
They don't include the driver.

Wow, than its heavier than even a E92 M3. My car even with a moonroof came in at just under 3600lbs, full of fuel and obviously me not in the car. My cars weight now is even lower than this now due to the lighter exhaust and wheels. I am probably in the 3550lb range right now.

Dave

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I agree but the GTPP already has 6 pistons up front with 15" single piece iron rotors. I would guess the full GT350 front brake setup to be less than the GT PP setup.

65Terdlingua

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang
I dont expect a huge savings, but I did expect the track pack car to come in lower than a PP car.

Less weight
-Larger brakes yes, but 2 piece rotors actually should shave a lot of weight
-More aluminum in the suspension (exactly what has not been shared)....
We know the knuckles are aluminum, and at least the R's use a uniball mount for the LCA frame mount. What else are we waiting for?