Sponsored

Found a case of a failed recalled oil line

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Purely objective comment - I don't recall hearing about tech involvement or a fuel line. My only understanding was that a snap ring failed which allowed a plug to blow out which resulted in oil spew from the engine.

I'm still curious if the snap ring itself failed, was never seated fully, or the oil filter adapter wasn't machined properly which then led to the snap ring not being seated, etc.
I would like to know the extent of the burn... whether the oil lines were intact or not... I appreciate Joe's update but there are still more vital questions left unanswered.
Sponsored

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Carroll Shelbys Soul Lives Under My GT350 Hood
This is my point. We're not being told the whole story.
Do I believe the snap ring is the cause? No.
Is it possible the snap ring wasn't installed properly? Yes.
Do I believe the snap ring failed and the plug failed and is the cause of the oil loss? No.
Sorry ford, but I'm not buying that.
I believe the oil lines failed and that's the cause.
In my opinion, if the snap ring was the cause it would of happened sooner. This car was on the dyno many times and seen street and track time. I believe that if the snap ring wasn't installed correctly it would of failed sooner.
I know people are going to ride my ass but that's fine. I still and always have believed it was something else and I point to the hoses.
Today is the first time any of us were told of the fuel line and two techs inspecting the results.
I'm sticking with the oil lines until proven otherwise. Although I know it's a dead horse.
Someone on this forum said 8000 GT350's are effected. Correct not all 8000 will ever blow the hoses. Maybe it'll be 1-10 who knows, but not all 8000 owners are forum or internet users.

jwhite

jwhite
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
J. Brad
Vehicle(s)
15 Gt PP Roush SC'ed/16 GT 350 TrackPack 1970 Mach1
[MENTION=7033]Voodoo[/MENTION] didn't the owner of the car say it was a snap ring? He said he was standing right there at inspection.???? What would be his point to tell another story???

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=7033]Voodoo[/MENTION] didn't the owner of the car say it was a snap ring? He said he was standing right there at inspection.???? What would be his point to tell another story???
I respect Joe's story... I also would like to know more.

Initially, there was concern that Joe's case was an oil fire, but now it sounds as though the fire was mostly due to a ruptured fuel line, of which was not in the original story. This isn't discounting Joe, or calling him a liar... it just sounds like there is more to the story now that there is more info coming out.

A snap ring failure is rare... more rare than a crimp line failure, otherwise there would be a snap ring recall. I think Vooooo is just very concerned and would like for info, as do I.

I have asked about the condition of the oil lines upon inspection, and the extent of the burn of the vehicle and the engine compartment. Sounds like it roasted the chassis pretty bad, so I have concern that the oil lines were involved as well.

More info is highly desired.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Remember when you said you have a better chance of falling in the shower? Well how many failed snap rings have you ever seen that just fail? Sure it could of been installed wrong, but I strongly believe if it was in fact installed wrong it would of failed long before this track event. Like I said before. I'm not calling joe or anyone else a liar. This has nothing to do with joe. I like and respect him and glad he's safe. But I do not buy the fact that the snap ring is the cause. You can judge me and I'll accept that. But More and more info just keeps coming in. It's like saying the government tells the full story. I have a opinion as do all of you. And my opinion is the oil lines failed. The fuel lines are covered by a plastic shield, I believe the oil line burst and melted the plastic shield and possibly melted the fuel line. Like drum said, if it was a snap ring it would be recalled or TSB

Have you ever dealt with any of the big 3? They could hide anything. They very well could of said it's the snap ring and we're going to stick by that until we see anymore failures. Well more hoses failed than snap rings.
I've dealt with many other TSB and recalls before and if it's not to their liking they have more money and better lawyers than us.

Not to mention we have a proven dealership statement that in fact the oil lines blew on the OP. If joes snap ring failed why no dealer or ford statement or TSB?
OIL LINES!

Last edited:

Sponsored

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
With respect to all, especially in light there have been no deaths associated with the current debate...

Time to call in
xfiles-scully-mulder-jpg.jpg

J_Maher_AMG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R (HR057)
Remember when you said you have a better chance of falling in the shower? Well how many failed snap rings have you ever seen that just fail? Sure it could of been installed wrong, but I strongly believe if it was in fact installed wrong it would of failed long before this track event. Like I said before. I'm not calling joe or anyone else a liar. This has nothing to do with joe. I like and respect him and glad he's safe. But I do not buy the fact that the snap ring is the cause. You can judge me and I'll accept that. But More and more info just keeps coming in. It's like saying the government tells the full story. I have a opinion as do all of you. And my opinion is the oil lines failed. The fuel lines are covered by a plastic shield, I believe the oil line burst and melted the plastic shield and possibly melted the fuel line. Like drum said, if it was a snap ring it would be recalled or TSB

Have you ever dealt with any of the big 3? They could hide anything. They very well could of said it's the snap ring and we're going to stick by that until we see anymore failures. Well more hoses failed than snap rings.
I've dealt with many other TSB and recalls before and if it's not to their liking they have more money and better lawyers than us.

Not to mention we have a proven dealership statement that in fact the oil lines blew on the OP. If joes snap ring failed why no dealer or ford statement or TSB?
OIL LINES!
I'm actually with you on this one. Not detracting from Joe's statements or story, or calling anyone a liar either, but you are absolutely right regarding the failure state of the snap ring. In engineering design, some parts are items that fail instantaneously, while others often require reaching a "fatigue" state before finally reaching their failed state. A snap ring is akin to a pure concrete beam, that will fail suddenly and without warning once it reaches its maximum stress capacity. The oil lines/crimps however, are more akin to a steel beam. They may have a defect and therefore buckle/reach beyond their yield stress, but they still have some life left to give before completely failing, aka failure occurs over a relatively longer period of time or at least not suddenly.

If there were a serious defect in the snap ring, or if it were installed correctly, I am also heavily inclined to believe it would have failed long, long before it did. On the contrary, it seems much more plausible that the oil lines were not crimped sufficiently, and therefore over time and use the connections became weakened before ultimately failing.

Ford can, and will, say whatever they want that benefits them. At the end of the day, there is NO large corporations that actually prioritizes the public consumers best interest first.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Maybe it's not obvious or you guys are feeling extra entitled but you aren't owed anything.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Maybe it's not obvious or you guys are feeling extra entitled but you aren't owed anything.
Yeah don't forget you own the same car with the same hoses. :D

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
crystalball.jpg

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Yeah don't forget you own the same car with the same hoses. :D
Oh I'm aware and not excited about it. I cancelled that HPDE so I'm not taking it lightly but I'm not twisting things around and over analyzing things to fit an agenda...which speaking of that..what difference does any of this make? It's going to get fixed when it gets fixed. Not sure what we're arguing about.

I think I'm only going to reply to this thread in pictures from here out :cheers:

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
In his first post in the fire ball thread:

I had been on the track about 15 minutes of the last session when I experienced a catastrophic engine component failure. This caused a massive oil leak. The oil ignited on the exhaust. If this wasn’t bad enough, the oil fire caused the main fuel line to rupture. At this point, the bottom of the car was fully engulfed. The fireball was two lanes wide and trailed behind the car at least 25’.
http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60662
Last edited by ITLRUN; 07-31-2016 at 06:59 AM.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No disrespect but that's the biggest horseshit I've ever heard. Any/Everyone that invested in an affected car is entitled to not only a fix but the truth.

That's only fair... and again, no one is claiming Joe a liar. Additional "facts" are warranted.

Voodooo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
Don't mine stanglife. He's always got a smart remark to make. I learned to ignore him. He gets off on being arrogant.
Sponsored