Ford Racing ProCal Tune

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
whats everyone's opinion about running a different CAI than the GT350 one, warranty aside? Is the overall consensus that is would basically be just for sound/looks or is there any performance gain/degrade? The sound of this one is poop compared to my mishimoto.
Performance wise only comparing the GT350 intake compared to other open air intakes I'd say it probably won't make a huge difference. Although I like that it uses a plastic tube and no metal to get heat soaked and the bucket is sealed off much better than just about any other open air intake. I was all set to swap to the stock intake with the AirAid intake tube until Cervini released an air diverter for my Cervini's Stalker hood. It takes the air from the open scoop and drops it right on top of the GT350 open bucket. I'll be sticking with that now.
Sponsored

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
The intake is open on the top and seals to the hood, is that correct?

I love my MMR but will make the switch when I get the kit. I was thinking of cutting louvers into the hood directly above the intake. Specifically one of these: https://adamtuned.myshopify.com/col...-motorsports-heat-extractors-for-2015-mustang

Either that or a Big Mouth with GT grill install. Or both!
I think that would be a very bad idea unless you know for sure you will never drive in the rain. It would also make washing the car very difficult. The way Cervini's does it with their Ram Air is to take the air in, then divert it over to the intake so it isn't coming straight onto the air filter. They also have holes for the water to drain out in a location away from any electronics or the air box.

sharp21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Fair enough. We definitely get a lot of rain in Houston...

john wilson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 eco
Dig this...my gauges are green in color. Awhile back at dusk I punched it ( I have THE tune) going up hill and when it red lined all my instrumentation turned the color red and as soon as it shifted to the next gear it was green. Cool!

Sponsored

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
One interesting thing I noticed, my first driving mode is no longer "Eco" but "Normal". Just a weird little thing, it still sucks and I still always put it in sport as soon as I start the car.

Regs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2016 Echoboost
Have you tried sport on the highway? I like having the 6th gear for acceleration at higher speeds.

ForYourOwnGood

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Grabber Blue 5.0
Have you tried sport on the highway? I like having the 6th gear for acceleration at higher speeds.
I've never driven the car more than a mile in normal mode, its just useless. I don't know why they even bothered to include it to be honest. The default should be the sport setting and then race and wet as options.

I HATE the changing throttle maps, if you hold the throttle down a little and change modes while driving you can actually feel the car open the throttle plate more even though your pedal is in the same spot. So dumb, I miss cable throttles.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
So am I the only one that regularly runs in Normal mode? I do love sport mode but it just kills my fuel economy. I don't always like being an aggressive driver and have no problem passing people on the highway regardless of the mode. Then the days I do feel like being more aggressive I flip it into sport mode and get reminded why I don't feel the need for a tune yet.

Side note why does no one ever mention driving around in track mode instead of sport mode?

Rcmchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost 16 PP
So am I the only one that regularly runs in Normal mode? I do love sport mode but it just kills my fuel economy. I don't always like being an aggressive driver and have no problem passing people on the highway regardless of the mode. Then the days I do feel like being more aggressive I flip it into sport mode and get reminded why I don't feel the need for a tune yet.

Side note why does no one ever mention driving around in track mode instead of sport mode?
I run it in normal about half the time actually ...Chicago traffic is brutal so normal is more at home in gridlock....sport mode is fun though! I do not have the tune yet but curious to see how it smooths out some of the issues with stock.

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
Glad to know I'm not the only one. What issues are you referring to? Are they the auto tranny things I've read about? I've got a manual and haven't noticed or read anything that would be fixed by a tune.

Unless tuners can fix the transmission feeling like I'm grinding into 2nd everytime......

I will say I was disappointed when I learned that the pro Cal tune kills my extended power train down to 3 years from the CPO 100k miles as I was initially misunderstood when I heard it didn't affect warranty. I still am not comfortable trusting the longevity of these motors and plan to have my car for at least 5 years. Im just a believe that less complexity/moving parts is generally more reliable. Especially when you have accountants making sure nothing is over-engineered.

Rcmchicago

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost 16 PP
yeah I have the auto, nothing major i just have to use the paddle shifters sometimes because it seems to get stuck in gear- usually only an issue in stop and go slower traffic. My fault for buying an auto I guess :).

I intend on keeping my car for a long time as well but will be relocating out to Colorado so I guess I will see how the Sottozero 3's work out with the snow there. I love the Mustang, but I enjoyed the rental Ram 1500 Laramie a bit too much. I wouldn't lose sleep over the warranty stuff so much....life will always throw curveballs, just keep up on maintenance, treat it well and enjoy the ride!

tw557

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT automatic
I did not get the FP tune yet but getting closer to giving it a go. I have now asked 3 different ford dealerships about the warranty since I also have a CPO warranty and I'm at 30000 miles. I asked all 3 that if my motor blows up at say 75000 miles with this tune what will happen. All 3 have said it will be covered by ford. One has a ford performance shop in the dealership and said he is asked this all the times for various mods. But I was lucky enough to email all my questions to one and in an email response I was told my engine would be covered if it blows at 80000 miles. The way the one place explained to me the only time it would be an issue is if the Ford Performance part actually failed and caused damage. Such as the intake breaking apart and a part getting sucked into the motor. Of course they all said that any other aftermarket tune will certainly void warranty because it is a tune that Ford had no involvement with and could be taking any parameters way out of the safety zone.
Sponsored