Sponsored

Ford GT350 vs BMW M2

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Agree the fun factor of the M235i is off of the charts. There is something about the size and power that paints a smile on my face in every opportunity that I've had to drive one. The Mustang GT is a great car but its size and feeling just dont give me the same joy. Im sure the GT350 could upset that balance, however.

Another point is that at the Flick of the switch in an M235/M2 you go from having an aggressive car to an absolutely amazing and luxurious DD. In a GT350 you have an "always on" aggressive beast. The older I get the more I like the option of having beast mode and a DD mode. If I am buying a weekend car I pick a GT350 everyday-all day. If Im picking a DD its an M2 everyday-all day. I would be able to sit in bumper to bumper traffic in a GT350 for about six months and then my love/fascination would be over and I would be looking for a new car.
Just picked up my GT350 and drove it 1700 miles home. It is actually a surprisingly great GT. It cruises effortlessly at 80 MPH, the Recaro seats are extremely comfortable, and the suspension in normal mode is quite supple. My 72 year old dad rode with me and drove it for 300 or so miles, and did not get uncomfortable either. Now, the M2 may be a better DD for some, but to call the GT350 an always on aggressive beast is not correct IMO.

-T
Sponsored

JohnnyUtah

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 M4 Comp, 2019 Silverado
Just picked up my GT350 and drove it 1700 miles home. It is actually a surprisingly great GT. It cruises effortlessly at 80 MPH, the Recaro seats are extremely comfortable, and the suspension in normal mode is quite supple. My 72 year old dad rode with me and drove it for 300 or so miles, and did not get uncomfortable either. Now, the M2 may be a better DD for some, but to call the GT350 an always on aggressive beast is not correct IMO.

-T
Congrats on the 350. When is the first track day?

Shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car

-T

Congrats on the 350! That is a beast of a car. I can assure your GT350 isnt a good DD for anyone that lives near a city, however. Even if the suspension is somewhat "do-able" it has a manual transmission. Sitting in any level of traffic for any duration sucks in a manual. Im well aware as I live in a major city and have only driven manual transmissions for the last 20-25 years. 500 hp and a stick would absolutely suck for my daily drive. I cant even imagine the leg exhaustion and the frustration of having 500 hp but only inching forward for an hour or so.

I still own a manual car for weekend fun but I'm never going back to DDing a manual transmission. A manual is still more fun for spirited drives on the weekend or on track days but in no way am I dealing with a manual transmission the other 99.99999% of the time that I drive. The automatic transmissions are so good that the gap in fun is almost non-existent these days. In specific the automatic transmission line up from BMW is fantastic. They probably have the best transmission line up short of Porsche and the super car manufacturers. Im not sure I would even pick a manual in an M2/M235 even if it was just a weekend car.

In closing you've got a bad ride! I know you will put it to good use.Please post pics of your first track day!

:headbang:

Last edited:

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Congrats on the 350! That is a beast of a car. I can assure your GT350 isnt a good DD for anyone that lives near a city, however. Even if the suspension is somewhat "do-able" it has a manual transmission. Sitting in any level of traffic for any duration sucks in a manual.
I DD'd my 412hp 6mt through horrific bay area traffic for a few years, its all relative

I dont DD it anymore (and wont DD my GT350), but I can see some folks who have zero issue with it.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Just went and built an M235 on the BMW USA website. The idea that I have to pay extra for a limited slip differential puts me off. WTF.

Sponsored

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
Just went and built an M235 on the BMW USA website. The idea that I have to pay extra for a limited slip differential puts me off. WTF.
Yeah buddy all open diffs with the exception of M cars. Then only optional on some other models. Also the only way I have seen rear brakes needed before the fronts haha. Good indicator to know how the car has been driven lol.

nsquared

Versatile
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
'16 Mustang GT
The M235i and the M2 are both amazing in their own right. I find the size perfect for a sports coupe. The 5.0 and the GT350 bother me because of their size and weight. Doesn't change the fact I will be getting one but my biggest concern is weight and size of the Fords.

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 350Z, 2016 GT350, 2018 Pacifica Hybrid
Congrats on the 350! That is a beast of a car. I can assure your GT350 isnt a good DD for anyone that lives near a city, however. Even if the suspension is somewhat "do-able" it has a manual transmission. Sitting in any level of traffic for any duration sucks in a manual. Im well aware as I live in a major city and have only driven manual transmissions for the last 20-25 years. 500 hp and a stick would absolutely suck for my daily drive. I cant even imagine the leg exhaustion and the frustration of having 500 hp but only inching forward for an hour or so.
I also commute in traffic (San Jose, CA area). The clutch on the GT350 is very light and has smooth engagement. If you engage slowly enough you can get started without using the gas. It helps if you are able to "accordion" a bit, in order to maintain a more steady speed, but sometimes other drivers don't make that strategy very effective. The exhaust note is also awesome, which makes traffic less annoying.

But yeah, its much better on an open road.

Automatics will never be as fun for me, no matter how good they are. But for others who deal with even worse traffic I can totally see how the lack of an automatic would be a deal breaker.

-T

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS

I still own a manual car for weekend fun but I'm never going back to DDing a manual transmission. A manual is still more fun for spirited drives on the weekend or on track days but in no way am I dealing with a manual transmission the other 99.99999% of the time that I drive. The automatic transmissions are so good that the gap in fun is almost non-existent these days. In specific the automatic transmission line up from BMW is fantastic. They probably have the best transmission line up short of Porsche and the super car manufacturers. Im not sure I would even pick a manual in an M2/M235 even if it was just a weekend car.

In closing you've got a bad ride! I know you will put it to good use.Please post pics of your first track day!

I also commute in traffic (San Jose, CA area). The clutch on the GT350 is very light and has smooth engagement. If you engage slowly enough you can get started without using the gas. It helps if you are able to "accordion" a bit, in order to maintain a more steady speed, but sometimes other drivers don't make that strategy very effective. The exhaust note is also awesome, which makes traffic less annoying.

But yeah, its much better on an open road.

Automatics will never be as fun for me, no matter how good they are. But for others who deal with even worse traffic I can totally see how the lack of an automatic would be a deal breaker.

-T
I'll side with -T here. The GT350 makes a GREAT daily driver. Much better than my other "daily" driver... same type -T has (350/370 Z). I've been driving my GT350 to work for the last 3 weeks.

Granted, the San Jose area only has a little over 1 million people and traffic here is sometimes considered the best in the country. :thumbsup: :doh:

The GT350, with hill assist, would even make a great DD in the hilly streets of San Francisco... though I wouldn't park there!

redline727

Thread Killer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rocky
Vehicle(s)
2021 Oxford White Mustang GT
One thing I take into consideration also when judging a car on DD characteristics is ground clearance. For example, can I go down all roads and entrances and exits within my normal commute. For me, driving in the city of Richmond some roads are horrible and parking lot entrances are very steep and narrow. I know there is no way in hell I can get into the parking lot of my barber without scraping in my GT. So I have to take my wife's Escape. I can't imagine trying to go some places downtown here with that GT350 splitter even at stock ride height.

Sponsored

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
Saw an M2 at the Houston Auto Show, and it was AMAZING! I was not expecting to be so impressed as the photos I have seen just didn't do it for me. It's a striking car from the outside, it was locked so thats all I can say. By far my favorite car there, but there was no GT350 sadly.

thatdude989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
N/A
ummm i don't think a M2 can hang with a GT350 i don't see that going down plus i think BMW is overrated

Shakooza

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Car
Saw an M2 at the Houston Auto Show, and it was AMAZING! I was not expecting to be so impressed as the photos I have seen just didn't do it for me. It's a striking car from the outside, it was locked so thats all I can say. By far my favorite car there, but there was no GT350 sadly.
The more I've looked at the pictures the more the M2 looks hideous to me. The wheels/tires look three sizes too big and the body work looks "try hard"....Im glad it looks better in person!

I think the M2 is going to be one of the most fun cars you can have for under 100k and it would suck to have it look like Frankenstein.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
The more I've looked at the pictures the more the M2 looks hideous to me. The wheels/tires look three sizes too big and the body work looks "try hard"....Im glad it looks better in person!

I think the M2 is going to be one of the most fun cars you can have for under 100k and it would suck to have it look like Frankenstein.
Yeah, I was NOT sold on it from pics either. I cannot say your experience will be like mine of course, but you may be surprised when you see it in person.

The one thing that I thought worked, were the proportions. It is a very small car, with aggressive styling but I thought the way they combined those attributes REALLY worked. Proportions are what you have mentioned as being an issue, so I wonder how you will like it yourself.

I think you are right on the fun level. At that price, I really wish they weren't pretty much already all sold out. I would seriously consider one of these cars. The GT350 is sick, but at that price point I want something lighter so would go M2 or C7 first.

GOFAST

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Still looking
ummm i don't think a M2 can hang with a GT350 i don't see that going down plus i think BMW is overrated
Oh, no question. The GT350 just has WAY too much engine for the M2.

Speed around the track is not all that matters though. The fun level and ease of driving fast is just as important. That is something these cars will both excel in.
Sponsored