Sponsored

Factory oil cooler

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Anybody know why the 1.6 and 2.0 Ecoboost have factory oil coolers but the 2.3 doesn't?
None of the EBs have an oil cooler. You are better off adding your own anyway as the factory style coolers often use engine coolant to cool the oil which isn't great.
Correct, the EBM is not equipped with an oil cooling/heating system of any kind. Both the Fiesta and Focus do indeed feature a liquid-to-liquid exchanger under the oil filter.

The factory coolers are designed to heat the oil to 180 or so (oil temp lags coolant temp so when the coolant gets warm it warms the oil) and then keep it between 180-210 for the most part....if anything I prefer factory style coolers. More consistent.
Correct! Modern factory-equipped oil cooler setups function both to warm the oil and to keep temperatures within operating spec. Warming the oil in a quick fashion will help reduce wear from cold oil.

I can understand that, though factory coolers rarely fail, and if an external fails it's just as critical an issue. *shrugs*
Although it is mostly based on preference, a factory-style system will have less components and complexity. A properly designed and installed liquid-to-air system should outperform a factory donut style system and should not have any issues in terms of reliability.

If you really want a nice bolt on kit I have the Mishimoto ones in stock and will give you a killer deal. I've installed 3 of these on customer cars and they couldn't be happier. Just pm me.

This has already been asked. The reason is because ford calls it a Performance Package. It increases performance of the car but it's not necessarily for track use.

Whereas if it was call a Track Package then it would need to have a trans cooler, oil cooler and possibly diff cooler like the GT350 track pack or R has.
Thanks Anthony!

even the factory oil temp readout is fake. Its just inferred from coolant temp.

I highly recommend the mishimoto oil cooler setup. Other eco's have gone into limp mode at some of my trackdays and I haven't yet. knock on wood...
Great to hear the kit is working out for you!

The factory oil "coolers" that use coolant are also meant to improve fuel consumption by heating the engine up faster, that's why you see them on smaller "economy" engines.
Also an good point! The oil cooler solution we offer includes a thermostatic sandwich plate option. This means fluid flow to the cooler is restricted until operating temperatures are reached. This will aid in warming the vehicle up quicker and will also reduce the negative impacts of cold oil.

I would be happy to answer any questions about our kit or any of the testing we conducted during R&D!

Thanks
-John

OP
OP

Skenneyjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost 6MT, PP, recaros
Thanks for all the insight! Pretty sure I'll send up with a lot of your product....I'm a mechanical engineering student and I love it when companies engineer products rather than throwing stuff together.

OP
OP

Skenneyjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
[MENTION=9961]Mishimoto[/MENTION]: when doing oil changes with thermostatic oil cooler, does the oil cooler just remain full of old oil? Is there a way to purge the system? When installing, how would I prime the system?

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Thanks for all the insight! Pretty sure I'll send up with a lot of your product....I'm a mechanical engineering student and I love it when companies engineer products rather than throwing stuff together.
Sure thing! Thanks for the kind words.

@Mishimoto: when doing oil changes with thermostatic oil cooler, does the oil cooler just remain full of old oil? Is there a way to purge the system? When installing, how would I prime the system?
Good question here, we get this one quite often. During an oil change, some oil will certainly remain in the cooler itself, around .5 quarts. Assuming you are following normal routine intervals, this should not cause any issues in terms of sludge buildup. If you insist upon removing the fluid in the heat exchanger, the cooler can be removed and drained.

Priming the system is also not entirely necessary on a fresh install. Oil will reach optimal pressure rather rapidly.

Thanks for the questions!

-John

Sponsored

OP
OP

Skenneyjr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wouldn't a thermostatic cooler not allow flow through the cooler until oil reached "opening" temperatures? Sorry to be so dense, I understand how thermostats work, I just don't know how well oil cooler thermostatic systems restrict cooler flow until opening temp, and what the opening temp is for this cooler.

Mishimoto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost, 2016 GT
Wouldn't a thermostatic cooler not allow flow through the cooler until oil reached "opening" temperatures? Sorry to be so dense, I understand how thermostats work, I just don't know how well oil cooler thermostatic systems restrict cooler flow until opening temp, and what the opening temp is for this cooler.
Correct, however the thermostatic unit is actually located in the sandwich plate that attaches to the oil filter housing. This unit restricts flow to the cooler until thermostat operating temperature is reached. Note that I use the word restrict, as a small portion of fluid is still moving through the cooler. Our thermostatic plates include a 185ºF thermostat, which is replaceable with a 160ºF or 200ºF depending upon your preference.

Hope that helps!
-John

Rondog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustangecoboost
The auto does have a trans cooler. For those with the auto trans what are the highest trans oil temps u are seeing?
During a Laguna Seca track day with 90 degree ambient temp, the auto trans oil reached 225, with a engine coolant of 245.
Sponsored