Sponsored

Ewheels Road Course Build

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I am about to order the parts for my DIY diff cooler kit.
I posted somewhere the itemized Diff Cooler BoM for what Steeda uses in their track cars. My take on the design vents to the trunk so all electrical and mechanical parts are protected and it's only the oil lines that are out in the elements.
Sponsored

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
I wonder why Porsche and BMW run fins?
Something like a FTB kit with radiator and fan?
I know the rear diff gets hot; I've had them barf and blow out the pinion seal.
*Not trying to take over the thread just trying to get edgamecated.
Mainly because Mustang GT was never intended to be track day ready car. Mach1 and GT350 are, and they have diff cooling from factory along with all other cooling, that we (el cheapos 😄) have to reinvent ourselves

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Clearly this hobby tool is not large enough or strong enough.
61EAadWd-0L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

And I wonder if this will do the job, maybe better than standard angle grinder because this will have a narrow blade and thus not remove as much material.
2417205_newmas.jpg
A standard dremel will cut through a hood just fine. I had access to an air compressor so popped down to the local harbor freight and bought an air saw.

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-reciprocating-saw-58910.html

1686885119410.png

Worked perfect for me after drilling a few holes near the corners to get the bit started.

Photos here:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/project-loudcar-2018-gt350-j0006.118237/post-3676176

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
I'd like to see that BoM since I am ordering parts tomorrow.
someone on m6g posted that size 8 hoses are too small and to use -10AN

40-527 Tilton pump
15950 Derale cooler with fan
(3) 21008 Vibrant -8an female to -8an hose straight fittings
(3) 21908 Vibrant -8an female to -8an hose 90 degree fittings
(2) AN816-08-08A ½ npt to -8an male fittings
(2) SUM-220846B Summit brand -8an to 3/8npt male fittings
SUM-230810 Summit brand 10’ -8an stainless braid hose

I source locally(napa) a 30 amp relay and a toggle switch to wire the pump and cooler fan up.

The 2 ½ npt fittings go in the rear cover drain/fill plug holes.
The 2 3/8 npt fittings go on the pump.
The cooler comes with a package of hardware that includes the -8an fittings needed for it. Do not use the hose that comes with the cooler, it does not last.
I wire the pump and cooler fan to one relay, add a 30 amp fuse for the circuit.

The hose fittings listed are what we use for the best fitment. The cooler will need to spaced off the floor 3-4 inches for air flow. The fan needs to be wired blue to ground, black to power, this will blow down threw the cooler core. Follow the instructions that come with the pump on how to plumb and wire it correctly. The pump should be sucking threw the cooler and returning to the top fitting on the rear cover.

https://tiltonracing.com/wp-content/uploads/98-1901-Intermittent-Oil-Cooler-Pump-Updated-1.pdf
https://www.amazon.com/Derale-16763-Electric-Relay-Harness/dp/B004XONWU4

Bulkhead adapter fittings
SUM-220837B
SUM-220839B
999204 (or 999128)

Sponsored

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
@Ewheels i am with you on holding out and evaluating cooler options. Have you thought about adding at least an auto meter gauge and an oil filter spacer with the sensor ports? That’s the route I’m taking for the time being so I can still get actual temp and at least I’ll have that portion when I do get a larger cooler.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
@Ewheels i am with you on holding out and evaluating cooler options. Have you thought about adding at least an auto meter gauge and an oil filter spacer with the sensor ports? That’s the route I’m taking for the time being so I can still get actual temp and at least I’ll have that portion when I do get a larger cooler.
Yeah dude; I just want the cheapest and simplest way to get the temps down for my driving style. I'm hopeful ducting and hood vents will be enough but we'll see.

I would love actual oil temp readings. Can you stick a spacer on top of the oem oil cooler or would you need to remove that first? If I can keep the temps below 270, I'll be happy with that. I know that's still on the high side but I change my oil often so it should mitigate any damages caused by degradation.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
Yeah dude; I just want the cheapest and simplest way to get the temps down for my driving style. I'm hopeful ducting and hood vents will be enough but we'll see.

I would love actual oil temp readings. Can you stick a spacer on top of the oem oil cooler or would you need to remove that first? If I can keep the temps below 270, I'll be happy with that. I know that's still on the high side but I change my oil often so it should mitigate any damages caused by degradation.
No need to remove anything except the filter of course. Just take of the filter and put on the spacer with the stud extension. I actually asked this in the TMO FB group a couple months ago and someone has actually done it.

This is what I plan to use : http://www.setrabusa.com/products/oilcontrol/oilfilteradapters/spacer/index.html

Edit to add: or you could use a sandwhich plate and just plug the cooler ports.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
No need to remove anything except the filter of course. Just take of the filter and put on the spacer with the stud extension. I actually asked this in the TMO FB group a couple months ago and someone has actually done it.

This is what I plan to use : http://www.setrabusa.com/products/oilcontrol/oilfilteradapters/spacer/index.html

Edit to add: or you could use a sandwhich plate and just plug the cooler ports.
NIce!
I'll probably just end up continuing to be a cheap ass and just waiting till when I get a cooler 😆

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1

Sponsored

ChaunceyM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jarod
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Mishimoto sells an oil filter sandwich plate that includes a port for wiring in a temp sensor. I'm assuming you can find an easy way to set it up so it doesn't require a cooler. Like just looping a short -10AN line from output to input. I had one on the Mazdaspeed when I did an oil cooler just to do it. Never wired up the temp gauge before I traded in the car.

Biggsy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Warren
Vehicle(s)
'17 GT PP, '10 Tundra
NIce!
I'll probably just end up continuing to be a cheap ass and just waiting till when I get a cooler 😆
I right there with you lol. So far over the years I have been able to complete all my sessions without temp issues (knocks on wood). Until that happens the money will stay in my bank account

tosha

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT PP1
Mishimoto sells an oil filter sandwich plate that includes a port for wiring in a temp sensor. I'm assuming you can find an easy way to set it up so it doesn't require a cooler. Like just looping a short -10AN line from output to input. I had one on the Mazdaspeed when I did an oil cooler just to do it. Never wired up the temp gauge before I traded in the car.
@Biggsy posted a link to the filter spacer with 2 sensor ports. It fits perfectly with no need to do any looping. Available from Amazon for very reasonable price.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
If you're doing a sandwich plate, Setrab came out with a billet one last year that comes with 1/8NPT side port and plug.

I just drilled and tapped my plate for such port in the same location.

OP
OP
Ewheels

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Cooling mods are finally happening.

Just ordered the Mishi oil cooler kit, A-pillar gauge mount, and a digital Autometer oil temp gauge.

I'm sure all the TMO folks would roll their eyes at the Mishi kit; I'll find out in a few months if I wasted my money or not, though I honestly think it will be fine.

For those wondering why I didn't just go the tried-and-true Setrab route: I genuinely liked the peace of mind that comes with purchasing a complete kit with written instructions. I don't know why, but anything to do with the engine makes me nervous. It's such an expensive and complicated part of the car to mess up, I'd rather not hope I'm doing things right and instead buy a kit that someone else did all their homework on already.
If it in fact turns out to be not enough cooling for my driving, then one of you will get a killer deal on a second-hand Mishi oil cooler 😆
Sponsored

Last edited: