K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
We who are living in Canada always talking in CAD when we break our brains what to buy. :D

But again.The OP is looking to get a Mustang with a good sound (?) in his budget.

Nobody knows your budget and like others wrote already, get the car YOU like. Not what we like. I am personally wondering how the ROUSH catback will sound for the EB because the parts number is the same for the EB and V6. And the video for the V6 sounds really good to me. :thumbsup:

Maybe like that?
That sound! It's amazing! I've never heard a V6 sound like that before, it's very weird sounding in an awesome way. I wonder how loud it is and how much tone it has in person.

Here's how my ST sounds currently:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]id=roPpURqeqD8;list=UUPEiufpwCZdDipSAYWeUUJQ[/MEDIA]"]

the ST sounding like that is fine for me personally....but to hear that sound on a mustang is just weird though.
Why do you think it's weird? I agree it definitely sounds different, almost mini V8-like, someone mentioned that earlier.
Sponsored

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
That sound! It's amazing! I've never heard a V6 sound like that before, it's very weird sounding in an awesome way. I wonder how loud it is and how much tone it has in person.

Here's how my ST sounds currently:

Why do you think it's weird? I agree it definitely sounds different, almost mini V8-like, someone mentioned that earlier.
If the EB mustang could be made to sound like that I'd be happy, but so far I haven't heard anything close to that.

tsunami

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Premium EcoBoost Convertible
A friend of mine has a 2014 Shelby...the exhaust sounds great. I have ordered an EB with Shaker Pro. I guess I could record my friend's exhaust and broadcast it through my trunk's sub-woofer. Would that qualify my car as acceptable...since so many responses have not been about having V8 power but why they are spending an addition $5K+ for the V8 sound?

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
If the EB mustang could be made to sound like that I'd be happy, but so far I haven't heard anything close to that.
[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]id=KEa-Rz48qKg;list=UUPEiufpwCZdDipSAYWeUUJQ[/MEDIA]"]

It's amazing how much it improved the driving experience. It sounds brilliant parking garages too! All of the burbles!

Renaultfool

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 Manual 3:55, Renault SCCA racecar
On the EB I am sure that the turbo chews up the sound and softens it away.
Formula One is now V6 Turbo, and no one likes the sound because it is too quiet. Some of the promoters were threatening to cancel their races, because it was not as good of a spectator show, even thought the cars were faster. They have tried different exhaust designs, but nothing works because the turbo takes out all the sharp edges out of the sound.
The folks with the EB may have to get their pleasures in a different way. Maybe some way to amplify the turbo whine or whistle? I kind of like that sound.

Sponsored

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
When I drove a V6 Mustang rental for the past week, I don't think I got BELOW 3000 RPM for more than a few minutes total, lol. I don't see how that engine could be any fun at all driven that way. Why even get a performance car period?! Just get a hatchback or something.
YUP!! I had a 14 v6 auto with 2.73 gear. It would not even spin the tires. Total dog out of the hole. Grabbed a left over 14 GT and never looked back.

If I got a 15, would probably be a GT, but would not be against the ECO either. Woman has a 2.0 ECO Escape and I swear it would kill that V-6 stang up to 20 MPH.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
On the EB I am sure that the turbo chews up the sound and softens it away.
Formula One is now V6 Turbo, and no one likes the sound because it is too quiet. Some of the promoters were threatening to cancel their races, because it was not as good of a spectator show, even thought the cars were faster. They have tried different exhaust designs, but nothing works because the turbo takes out all the sharp edges out of the sound.
The folks with the EB may have to get their pleasures in a different way. Maybe some way to amplify the turbo whine or whistle? I kind of like that sound.
Undoubtedly the turbo muffles the exhaust sound (it uses exhaust energy to create more power, so that's sort of a law of physics issue, while the GT doesn't convert that noise to extra power), but the EB is still quieter than the other EcoBoost cars in Ford's lineup (Focus and Fiesta ST) despite the fact that those engines are even smaller. Maybe this just reflects the increased efficiency of the turbo setup in the 2.3L EcoBoost, but I have to imagine there are other factors at play as well.

Theoretically you want your turbo car to be quieter rather than louder for that reason, it means you are getting the most power gain possible! Exhaust sound = wasted energy. (also = smiles).

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
YUP!! I had a 14 v6 auto with 2.73 gear. It would not even spin the tires. Total dog out of the hole. Grabbed a left over 14 GT and never looked back.
Why would you want to? I've never spun the tires in any car ever, except in snow. You're just putting strain on your drivetrain and wearing out your tires quicker.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Why would you want to? I've never spun the tires in any car ever, except in snow. You're just putting strain on your drivetrain and wearing out your tires quicker.
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm not sure you really grasp the intent of a car like the Mustang. It has a factory burnout feature you know.

Or maybe I've just had it wrong all along...

I'm starting to believe that you are just having fun with us on here Jimmy... ;)

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks

Sponsored

OppoLock

RWD Addict
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Definitely the atypical enthusiast. ;)

JimmyTwoTimes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium
Not to beat a dead horse, but I'm not sure you really grasp the intent of a car like the Mustang. It has a factory burnout feature you know.
That's an apt analogy, because you really are beating a dead horse. If you have a horse, you can run that horse ragged all the time, put him in races, and have him sprint flat-out whenever you get on him -- but he's going to be constantly throwing shoes, and he's most likely going to break a leg and have to be put down. If he doesn't, he'll quickly develop joint diseases and you'll be unable to ride him any more at all.

Now, if you take that same horse, and you ride him every day at a walk, and maybe once a week or once a month get him up to a trot -- but never a canter, and certainly never a gallop -- well, then that horse can give you decades worth of riding enjoyment.

Including taxes and fees, I'm spending roughly $46K, give or take, on my car. Now, I could drive it like I stole it, and have the car break down after 4 years, and be spending $11.5K / year for the car. Or, I can take care of it, baby it, treat it like I'd treat a horse at a walk -- and it'll last me forty years, and I'll be spending $1K / year for the car.

To me, the latter seems the obvious choice.

JonnyMustang

Mustang Enthusiast
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Flex EB
Including taxes and fees, I'm spending roughly $46K, give or take, on my car. Now, I could drive it like I stole it, and have the car break down after 4 years, and be spending $11.5K / year for the car. Or, I can take care of it, baby it, treat it like I'd treat a horse at a walk -- and it'll last me forty years, and I'll be spending $1K / year for the car.

...or you could just rebuild or do a motor swap every four years. :headbang:

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
That's an apt analogy, because you really are beating a dead horse. If you have a horse, you can run that horse ragged all the time, put him in races, and have him sprint flat-out whenever you get on him -- but he's going to be constantly throwing shoes, and he's most likely going to break a leg and have to be put down. If he doesn't, he'll quickly develop joint diseases and you'll be unable to ride him any more at all.

Now, if you take that same horse, and you ride him every day at a walk, and maybe once a week or once a month get him up to a trot -- but never a canter, and certainly never a gallop -- well, then that horse can give you decades worth of riding enjoyment.

So which ford V-8 have you bought brand new, beat really hard and had to replace the motor every 4 years?? My oldest, the 86 has 85K of merciless beating, several years of 150 HP nitrous kit, 17 years of turbo kit, 100+ passes at the track, upwards of 10,000 cycles @ full thottle ripping through the gears, plenty of burnouts.

After 28 years, it did get pulled apart this year to regasket and add some better heads. Still has the cross hatching on the cyl walls. I'm guessing with the advances of materials, machining, design, etc..., you will be just fine no matter how you treat it, for a long, long time.

My father is 83 and still likes doing burnouts for the enjoyment of his grandkids. :p

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I don't see the sense in beating up my car just to show off for others either, so there's another feature I wouldn't ever use (did you catch that, Jimmy ;)?). And it had better stay the hell out of my way otherwise.

Really, after doing a couple of pretty decent burnouts almost 50 years ago in a 1964 Dodge with a 2-barrel 318 and automatic transmission there just isn't anything about burnouts left to prove.

Jonny - I'd rather be out driving my car than doing the same damn repair/rebuild/refresh yet again. Been there.

Norm
Sponsored