Engine Debate

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I swear, I wrestle this in my mind every single day I've wanted a Mustang, and who better to ask than a Mustang community, and hopefully without any hate or judgement. I would like to initiate a debate/conversation with the following question:

Is there an superiority/inferiority complex amongst Mustang owners?

Now that the Mustang has three engines now(but maybe not for long) it seems that the choice of Pony is even harder than before; maybe just for me and some others, as I've noticed that it seems that the majority believes that it NEEDS a V8 and nothing else.

Now the most experience I've got with Mustangs, is my time at Mustang Memories this year, a ride in a '11 GT, and a '15 preproduction GT.

Most of the time, I hear the following responses:
1. V8 or nothing
2. If you're not buying a V8, you're buying the wrong car
3. V6s are for girls/secretaries/females/rental fleets/daddy's girl, and they aren't manly or for men.
4. Anything less than a V8 makes you less of a man, more feminine ect.
5. V6 is not a muscle car, but then I have to ask, isn't the Mustang not a muscle car? Isn't it just a pony car?

I guess having the top-of-the-line motor means:
1. Prestige
2. Bigger is better
3. Superiority
4. Heritage(to some extent)
5. Other things I'm not aware about

Why? What's the big deal with this? Why does it happen? Is a V6 not good enough? Does it make it inferior? Personally, I like 6 cylinder cars, 911s, BMWs, I've been around those cars my entire life. I love the way they sound, and sound is a very important characteristic of how I enjoy my driving. As such, I wouldn't mind a V6, in fact I'd love to have one, but then I'd have to worry about other car people and even Mustang owners that'd say you bought the wrong car. Is it just stereotypes or is it something more? Maybe just preference? But even so, why the negative stigmas?

If newer V6s are making more power and maybe more torque than V8s from the last decade or so stock for stock, are the V8s still superior?

Hypothetically, if and when the 3.7L finally goes away, if the Mustang were just left to the EB and GT, the EB would be the base Mustang, would it then be the "rental/female/secretary car"?

Now, with the EB, I bet it's a great motor and I hope it does well, even if it's taking the Mustang into a future I simply cannot embrace; that and having been through three 4-cylinder cars(I'm on my second and third right now), I'd want something different.

Does having anything less than a V8 make a Mustang, not a Mustang? Does any of this make sense? I hope I have not offended anyone by this, I'm simply curious.
Sponsored

RollinInMy5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Supra
There's a reason why Vanilla Ice didn't say "Rolling in my 2.3". :shrug:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
Oh boy. This is going to be a rational and respectful debate.

[ame]

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
I'd really like this to be somewhat of a decent debate from some people, without much trolling or messing about; which I already know is too much to ask. :(

Sponsored

draco24433

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
2015 Oxford White Mustang GT Premium
There's a reason why Vanilla Ice didn't say "Rolling in my 2.3". :shrug:
Could not have put it any better!:amen: Personally, a Mustang to me has to be with the V8 and manual. You may have other engines just as powerful or more powerful but there is no feeling like that of a V8. Not that the other engines are any less. Just a very personal opinion. With that being said, I would never diss another Mustang owner just because they have a lesser engine. Be happy with what you have!

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Honestly I don't think too many people are going to actively, to your face, give you sh1t about driving a V6 Mustang. It's still probably a better car than whatever they are driving. I just drove one for a week (rental) and it was freakin sweet, I'd love to have one. If you're that concerned about what other people think of your car, you're going to have trouble enjoying it for yourself.

NDSP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP
without a doubt 5.0/GT's hold their value better. And there is the perception that rolling in anything other than a GT is being a wannabe. Affordability doesn't really enter the mind when I see rolling in a V6 stang, all I think is lame. sorry, just my gut reaction.

DHG1078

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Mustang Bullitt, 1985 Mustang Hatch
If you're buying a car based on how other people will view your purchase, you're not buying a car for you. It doesn't matter what a single person thinks other than you. If the V6 meets all of your wants/needs/desires then that's all you need. If you want/need the added performance the V8 gives, then go for that. If you want the ecoboost the most, why consider either of the others.

Mikes5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track/2014 Explorer Sport
Why worry about what others think? It's your money and your car, if it makes you happy why do you feel you need to buy a car based on others opinions. For me I can't own a Mustang without a v8 and did not buy one until the 5.0 was reintroduced. I love the sound and the power of the V8. There is I big difference between the 6 cylinder offered in the mustang and P cars. The flat six is the flagship engine for Porsche like the 8 cylinder in the stang. Different strokes for different fokes.

Sponsored

clubamericalara

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
all i know is there are a few v8 chargers/challengers/camaros that i know both my ecoboost & also the GT's could outperform :D mustangs unite

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
without a doubt 5.0/GT's hold their value better. And there is the perception that rolling in anything other than a GT is being a wannabe. Affordability doesn't really enter the mind when I see rolling in a V6 stang, all I think is lame. sorry, just my gut reaction.
This is exactly what I'm talking about. But, if you see an EB rolling in as well, is it lame too?

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
Why worry about what others think? It's your money and your car, if it makes you happy why do you feel you need to buy a car based on others opinions. For me I can't own a Mustang without a v8 and did not buy one until the 5.0 was reintroduced. I love the sound and the power of the V8. There is I big difference between the 6 cylinder offered in the mustang and P cars. The flat six is the flagship engine for Porsche like the 8 cylinder in the stang. Different strokes for different fokes.
I don't know, that's just how I grew up I suppose. If it didn't look right in anyone else's eyes, it must be wrong. I've tried to stray away from that idea, doesn't always work.

I know that there's a BIG difference between a flat-6 and a V6, we've got both kinds at my house haha. I just love the way a 6-cylinder sounds, regardless of engine configuration.

all i know is there are a few v8 chargers/challengers/camaros that i know both my ecoboost & also the GT's could outperform :D mustangs unite
:ford:

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
This is exactly what I'm talking about. But, if you see an EB rolling in as well, is it lame too?
I've seen a couple out in the wild and I think "Oh, cool. He got an ecoboost." I don't think "Man, what a poser." I also probably won't ever stop and chat with him unless it's modded. Generally if you see an lower tier performance car chances are it's not an enthusiast driving it. There are outliers, of course, but I'd win that bet more than I lost.

OP
OP
K-Roll302

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
I've seen a couple out in the wild and I think "Oh, cool. He got an ecoboost." I don't think "Man, what a poser." I also probably won't ever stop and chat with him unless it's modded. Generally if you see an lower tier performance car chances are it's not an enthusiast driving it. There are outliers, of course, but I'd win that bet more than I lost.
But if you see a GT, will you immediately think it's an enthusiasts, because top tier performance car? Not all GT drivers, or at least from my experience, are enthusiasts.

Sorry if I'm being too speculative.
Sponsored