Sponsored

Engine Debate

mustang#16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
All else being equal, why wouldn't someone want the V8?

The truth is, all things aren't equal. Compared to the EcoBoost and V6, the V8 costs more to buy, it's not as fuel efficient, and probably costs more to insure. In my opinion, the EcoBoost is a heckuva good value for the money compared to the GT.

For me, it's not an issue of engine size or cylinders. I've driven V-12 BMWs and I've owned an 8.0L V-10 Dodge Ram pickup. Those two vehicles don't begin to compare to the sound of a V8, IMO. To my ears, the V8 has the perfect sound. There are other differences.

My 5.0L V8 loves to wind up to the red line. It pulls hard all the way. The EcoBoost seems to be set up for strong low-end and midrange power but runs out of steam so to speak as it nears the red line based on reviews I've read and dyno charts I've seen.

A Mustang, combined with that wonderful V8 sound and power delivery, is what I want. It's subjective, but the extra costs are worth it -- to me.

As the old saying goes, "different strokes for different folks." I think that's true in this discussion. For some, the V8 is not that big of a deal and not worth the extra cost. For others, they can't afford it or justify the cost. To each his own.

Enjoy this youtube video comparing sounds of a 4-cyl vs V6 vs V8:

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]lgpAOeO_pL8[/MEDIA]"]
Sponsored

Last edited:

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
I've had about 20 Mustangs. All of them V-8's. I didn't realize they came any other way.:D
There have been non v8's for about 50 years now...:paddle:

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
There have been non v8's for about 50 years now...:paddle:
:thumbsup:

I've owned:

1982 GL 4 cylinder (My first car when I was 16 in HS)
1994 Base V6
1997 GT
1999 GT Convertible <-Flowmaster, Then Magnaflow
2004 Mach 1 <- Borla
2009 GT <- Borla
2015 EB

My 2004 Mach 1 sounded the best of the bunch. It was amazing. It's the only car I ever traded that I had immediate regrets. This go around I decided very early on I wanted the Ecoboost. I don't think it's any less of a Mustang and I'm quiet happy with my decision. :)

Bahndvr

Roushcharged
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 Roush Warrior Mustang
Vehicle Showcase
Keep in mind that the European fuel economy cycle test is, frankly, ludicrous. You'll NEVER get those kinds of mpg's in real-world applications.

To give an example: Honda Civics with the 1.8 litre engine get a 30 city / 39 highway rating by the EPA. Under the European combined cycle, they get either 47 or 48 mpg, depending on aero trim.

Doesn't Europe use the 'how far you can drive on 100 liters'?

Charles147

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PP w/50AP
I wouldn't call owning a 30 year old 944 or a new FWD car much basis for opinion about the world of muscle/pony cars in general or Mustangs in particular. And since he's barely a couple of years older than my oldest granddaughter, I've got a little bit of current insight concerning opinions at that stage of life. Yes, he needs to get his own, but he's got some sifting-through of all the different opinions around him yet to do. It's part of growing up; those of us on the other side of youthfulness had to go through it.

I can only wonder how things would have turned out had the internet had been available when I was 19. It's too early for beer, but there's still coffee in the pot and a clean cup in the drainer.

Norm
Owning a Porsche and ST is plenty basis for opinion at the crux level of his argument. I'm sure he gets the same spouts from other crowds and confident he handles those opinions just fine because in the end of the day he thinks to himself that its his car and what he loves and it doesn't matter what john doe thinks about his Porsche and/or ST.

At least we agree that he needs to get his own opinion. :thumbsup:

And hopefully...the OP will brief us all on his thoughts of the mustang driving experience so we all give him a thumbs up for his initiative to form a true opinion...Without that, IMO, his post(s) skewed what could and should have been a good thread to discuss :ford: engines.

People around the world are looking at this fordum (g6) page and are very interested in these engines for reasons of performance, mpg, reliability, quality, and so forth...Instead, the thread was jacked up on pointless subjective opinions when in the end of the day he hasn't made the attempt to drive a mustang and notes pointless arguments that provides no value to readers. Well maybe a laugh.

I'm sure many people here, including myself, joined this forum to gain/provide technical insight on the mustang and I bet 99% of us don't give a hoot what someone else thinks about their personal car purchase (v6, turbo, 8). So my point is yeah I get frustrated when I see people skewing up one of the best sources that represent 6g mustang and then I read posts of no value. Including my very own post because there should not be arguments on personal opinions of man I like this car but not sure if I should buy because my next door neighbor thinks its lame or I don't want to be made fun of because I purchased a V6. The clear answer is NO, don't buy the car because you obviously cant represent the car well because a car is an extension of YOU.

Am I missing what the point of this forum is all about? Or shall we continue to operate like a Jerry Springer show? That's my point. We drive the quality of this forum and as a member I'm going to call out pointless posts because if nobody is going to police it then I guess somebody has to step in to improve what the true purpose of this Fordum is all about which is not to read life lessons or should I trade my car for a mustang and what not...There are other webpages and methods of soul searching for those needs.

Malikona

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R1
Owning a Porsche and ST is plenty basis for opinion at the crux level of his argument. I'm sure he gets the same spouts from other crowds and confident he handles those opinions just fine because in the end of the day he thinks to himself that its his car and what he loves and it doesn't matter what john doe thinks about his Porsche and/or ST.

At least we agree that he needs to get his own opinion. :thumbsup:

And hopefully...the OP will brief us all on his thoughts of the mustang driving experience so we all give him a thumbs up for his initiative to form a true opinion...Without that, IMO, his post(s) skewed what could and should have been a good thread to discuss :ford: engines.

People around the world are looking at this fordum (g6) page and are very interested in these engines for reasons of performance, mpg, reliability, quality, and so forth...Instead, the thread was jacked up on pointless subjective opinions when in the end of the day he hasn't made the attempt to drive a mustang and notes pointless arguments that provides no value to readers. Well maybe a laugh.

I'm sure many people here, including myself, joined this forum to gain/provide technical insight on the mustang and I bet 99% of us don't give a hoot what someone else thinks about their personal car purchase (v6, turbo, 8). So my point is yeah I get frustrated when I see people skewing up one of the best sources that represent 6g mustang and then I read posts of no value. Including my very own post because there should not be arguments on personal opinions of man I like this car but not sure if I should buy because my next door neighbor thinks its lame or I don't want to be made fun of because I purchased a V6. The clear answer is NO, don't buy the car because you obviously cant represent the car well because a car is an extension of YOU.

Am I missing what the point of this forum is all about? Or shall we continue to operate like a Jerry Springer show? That's my point. We drive the quality of this forum and as a member I'm going to call out pointless posts because if nobody is going to police it then I guess somebody has to step in to improve what the true purpose of this Fordum is all about which is not to read life lessons or should I trade my car for a mustang and what not...There are other webpages and methods of soul searching for those needs.
I don't know, I see your point and I totally agree that we should keep the quality of the discussion high, but if someone wants input on what kind of car or engine to get - for whatever reason - I don't see any reason for us to just dismiss it offhand. And there's no reason to just deny the fact that there is a sort of American cultural stigma against the 'base' muscle car models, especially if the result of this discussion is to further their acceptance and the 'to each their own' attitude rather than to flame someone or something (i.e. V8 or bust).

Mods police threads to keep them on topic and keep them civil, but just because you don't like a topic doesn't mean it's a bad thread.
Sponsored