Sponsored

Disguised S550 Mustang Spied Testing - New Variant or Refresh?

f e r

Dapper.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fach 1 / Jeep SRT8
I'm digging the bull bar :D

And definitely something's going at the top of the front fenders.
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Those front brakes look pretty large. I'm hoping there have been some serious upgrades to the car for the 2017/2018 Mustang GT and all variants
They're regular GT brakes.

That's also why I doubt it's an ecoboost, they have smaller brakes (except for PP). Plus...you can see one of the slanted fangs in the upper-grille, which is only a feature on the V8 cars. Still betting on 17MY Refresh, a Mach 1 would probably have an entirely different front clip (shaker hood?), and not be sporting the same chin spoiler.

But in these photos, it does almost look as there's a grille delete present -- you can see the radiator clearly around the pony, which would normally be impossible to see through the honey comb. Either that or there is a horizontal billet grille behind it, but the pony does look like it's kind of floating on its own without a shroud. Mach 1s did have grille deletes, so...

attachment.jpg

attachment.jpg

Last edited:

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
Those are exhaust extenders. It's part of an experimental exhaust system that provides a deeper tone while projecting the sound further distances.
Just standard test exhaust tips for internal emissions testing and such. Nothing to get excited about here.

Is it me or does it look like there is a billet/horizontal grated-type upper grill behind that fascia cover?

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
I'd like to see something more aggressive. My biggest issue with the current Mustang has always been the soft nose design. The rest of it I love, including that wide back end.

I've done countless photoshops on that front end to make it a bit more 'American Muscle' rather than what imo is inspired by Euro-Asian design.

Here's some I've done...

[/URL]
I like this. Ever mess with simply changing the lower, rear line on the headlights. So, instead of sweeping back at around a 45-degree angle, make it more aggressive, like 60-80? Basically "chopping off" the Asian-ness (squaring it off)... Or, instead of coming to a point, adding almost a chamfer at the end and leaving the about 45 alone?

Sponsored

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
What in the world is going on here!? I've loved spy shots for at least a decade, I've never ever seen anything like this before (light wise)

Mr.Solis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future GT350 Owner
My guess is they are testing components for new led lighting program

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
Hmm I'll take a guess that it's a GT variant with a v6 ecoboost engine that Ford will name something else to differentiate the two. The engine will be the all-new 3.5 L twin-turbocharged EcoBoost V6 that will also be shared with the raptor in 2017. This will allow an option similar in price and power output that will exceed the 16 camaro ss.
That's the weird thing, why test a tranny with a camouflage body?
diversion
Why does mustang need to respond to the Camaro???
Friendly Competition of course!

Couple Stabs here after reading the entire thread.

Mach maybe.

3.5Turbo? - I'd love it (EB Explorers/SHO's with a tune are quite fun) but would Ford really cannibalize the EcoBoost (4cyl) that fast?

- Where would that come in HP wise too? It just doesn't make sense yet.
- Not seeing any intercooler (I could be blind too)
- Hood looks interesting
- Rear looks spoiler looks huuuge

I love me some speculation!

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
My thoughts as well. Definitely a refresh but MY2017? Seems early to me, when was the first refresh of s197?
In this day and age, the usual refresh is 3rd year. Generation is usually 5 total years.

With competitors bringing new cars to market faster and with new upgrades, goodies, etc, the car companies are battling even harder to get buyers so they have to keep their cars updated and fresh.

Over on Camaro6, I was looking at one of their posts with the comparison photos we had on here also and there were a few new forum people that were going to buy GTs and when the new Camaro information hit, they halted their purchases because they felt the Camaro offered more.

So that's why many of us feel this is the refresh for the Mustang. 3rd year. It hits right after Camaro 6 gen hits and counters them. Lots on here will say Ford has to do nothing. That's fine. Lots out there do think they need to improve a bunch of things on the S550.

We'll have the R&T and MTCOY articles out soon and that will give a good indication of what Ford is up against here.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Friendly Competition of course!

3.5Turbo? - I'd love it (EB Explorers/SHO's with a tune are quite fun) but would Ford really cannibalize the EcoBoost (4cyl) that fast?

- Where would that come in HP wise too? It just doesn't make sense yet.
- Not seeing any intercooler (I could be blind too)
- Hood looks interesting
- Rear looks spoiler looks huuuge

I love me some speculation!
I think the spoiler could be misleading. It actually might not be that big of a spoiler at all and the padding/camo/way it sits is exaggerating it. From the back it looks huge but from the side, it doesn't sit that high at all.

I'm guessing that it has the California Special spoiler on it. If you look at the CS from the side, it's spoiler seems very similar to the height of this one.

Sponsored

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
I like this. Ever mess with simply changing the lower, rear line on the headlights. So, instead of sweeping back at around a 45-degree angle, make it more aggressive, like 60-80? Basically "chopping off" the Asian-ness (squaring it off)... Or, instead of coming to a point, adding almost a chamfer at the end and leaving the about 45 alone?
:lol::lol::lol::first::hail::hail::hail:

l2frankie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mustang
Nobody mentioned the gt hood. I do hope it's a v6 Eco that I might trade up to

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
Nobody mentioned the gt hood. I do hope it's a v6 Eco that I might trade up to
Not sure it's a GT hood. It has the turn signal indicators...dont all '16's have those?

Mustang8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Where can I get those exhaust tips? lol