Sponsored

Disguised S550 Mustang Spied Testing - New Variant or Refresh?

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
Nope. Only GTs have the hood vents.
Are the turn signal indicators different than the hood vents. I know that the GT's are the only ones that have the vents. The hood in the pictures dont have the vents, those are the turn signal indicators. Only thing im not sure on is do all the 16's have the turn signal indicators, or just the GT's.

Nevermind...found my answer!!!
Sponsored

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
It would appear, from what we can see, that this headlamp doesn't have any chrome around the amber side marker.............the only other time we've seen that so far was on the very early non-premium car that was shown back in December '13. These were the non-HID headlamps that didn't, as far as I know, reach production in any form (although I recall they were listed for "fleet" sales)........

attachment.jpg

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
I think the spoiler could be misleading. It actually might not be that big of a spoiler at all and the padding/camo/way it sits is exaggerating it. From the back it looks huge but from the side, it doesn't sit that high at all.

I'm guessing that it has the California Special spoiler on it. If you look at the CS from the side, it's spoiler seems very similar to the height of this one.
That's a great point. I think Porsche did that a few years back with one of their cars, it had a massive bulge on the rear. Knowing Ford I'm sure they're going for the Houdini approach here. Or a, look at this, but don't look at this. (If that makes any sense) Either way I'm intrigued why they're going to such trouble to hide up front/back.

Alex

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
Are the turn signal indicators different than the hood vents. I know that the GT's are the only ones that have the vents. The hood in the pictures dont have the vents, those are the turn signal indicators. Only thing im not sure on is do all the 16's have the turn signal indicators, or just the GT's.

Nevermind...found my answer!!!
Not sure what you are looking at but in most pics you can see it's a GT because of the hood slats/vents. Very first picture in the post on Page 1 shows the hood and you can see the slats/venting.

This is a 2015 Hood slat/vent on the GT

This is a 2016 GT hood vent with the turn indicator. It's black because it's on a CA special. Non CA specials have the standard body color slat/vent.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
With regards the rear, I agree that could just be padding. Remember what the original '15 mules looked like.....

attachment.jpg

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
With regards the rear, I agree that could just be padding. Remember what the original '15 mules looked like.....
Good find AND look at the mufflers...same type...must be just test mule mufflers. Definitely think its a CA spoiler on that thing for some reason. They probably just throw whatever they have together/available for these mules. But the hidden front/rear definitely mean some change is coming.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
And one thing the above photo does prove, is that the test mules really COULD use better temporary lights. I'm amazed any light is omitted from the old camo'd lights. So, I wonder if these bolt on jobbies will become the norm??

AMAlexLazarus

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.americanmuscle.com
First Name
Alex
Vehicle(s)
'14 F150 EcoBoost/'08 Bullitt
I'm not sure why but when I first saw this mule I instantly thought:

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
I'm not sure why but when I first saw this mule I instantly thought:
LOL it does sorta look like that. Crazy it has to run those lights but obviously they are hiding some new LED/DRL's or something.

I would like it if it had the DRL strip like the explorer has in the previous post/page. Some cars you can just see a mile away and know whats coming like the Audi. The new Camaro has definitely got a nice look with the front lights.

Last edited:

66coupe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang V6
Maybe Ford was really testing the F-series, and they made-up the Mustang like this to divert attention so that no one would pay attention to the truck driving around behind it.

Yeah, I know that's not it. But it would be funny.

Sponsored

Old Car Guy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Tech Pack. AG Black Roof Black Stripes G3597
I think.....

Let's not ignore those exhaust pipes now either.
I think the extended exhaust pipes are so it does not burn the covers of what's Ford is hiding under the covers.... My 2 cents worth.........:cheers:

Focustang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
-
Friendly Competition of course!

Couple Stabs here after reading the entire thread.

Mach maybe.

3.5Turbo? - I'd love it (EB Explorers/SHO's with a tune are quite fun) but would Ford really cannibalize the EcoBoost (4cyl) that fast?

- Where would that come in HP wise too? It just doesn't make sense yet.
- Not seeing any intercooler (I could be blind too)
- Hood looks interesting
- Rear looks spoiler looks huuuge

I love me some speculation!
2.7EB seems more likely, to supplant the NA V6, and make the 2.3EB the entry-level model, while keeping CAFE numbers in line. As well, having the 2.7 as the middle mainstream offering makes a little more sense. Ford would likely have an advantage in the power/fuel economy ratings (versus the V6 Camaro) with the 2.7. The 3.5 would crowd the GT a bit too much and imbalance the sales, in my opinion.

garagelogic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 LX 5.0 Coupe-Coyote Swapped
Vehicle Showcase
In this day and age, the usual refresh is 3rd year. Generation is usually 5 total years.
LOL, because the Camaro fifth generation lasted 5 years on the Zeta platform,that's now the normal lifespan of a generation.:tsk: The S197 lasted 9, and the SN95 before it lasted 10 years.

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
LOL, because the Camaro fifth generation lasted 5 years on the Zeta platform,that's now the normal lifespan of a generation.:tsk: The S197 lasted 9, and the SN95 before it lasted 10 years.
In the past in the 90s most cars were on 9-10 year cycles. Then the mid 2000's they were around 7-8.

Go look up recent gen cars since 2010 and see how fast they are being changed. Examples like Kia, Hyundai, Audi, BMW, etc are moving towards 5 year cycles. Their mid cycle refreshes are in the 3rd year and those on 6 are in the 4th year.

You can scoff all you like but car companies have to keep things fresh to keep buyers coming. This is where the industry is heading. Designs are changing so fast that you have to stay current/modern or lose buyers.

2.7EB seems more likely, to supplant the NA V6, and make the 2.3EB the entry-level model, while keeping CAFE numbers in line. As well, having the 2.7 as the middle mainstream offering makes a little more sense. Ford would likely have an advantage in the power/fuel economy ratings (versus the V6 Camaro) with the 2.7. The 3.5 would crowd the GT a bit too much and imbalance the sales, in my opinion.
Yah 3.5 ain't happening. Would hurt the GT but the 2.7 V6 would slot nicely in, not hurt the GT and actually not confuse consumers with the 6,4,8 current line up. Chevy got their's right with the T4 being entry and their V6 being mid-range. Audi does the same thing with their Turbo 4s and then the S or RS usually has a 6 cylinder.

I could see a 2.7 going in there for sure.

OH5GT 2 S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2018 Mustang Convertible, 2017 BMW X5, 2017 F150
Gotta love the resident know it alls!!!!
Sponsored