Status
Not open for further replies.

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Cooling issues are among us....

I've been debating on whether or not to bring some information that I have found from road racing the Ecoboost for the 3rd time this past weekend.

After my first time pushing this car in February I noticed oil temps rising and with the stock intercooler almost instant heat soak.

I immediately added a custom 25 row oil cooler along with an intercooler which helped the car last much longer at the track.

However this last trackday I added Hankook RS3s which allowed me to push the car much harder and I am now confident that this cars' cooling system is not up to the task for road racing out of the box.

My best session was my first session and as ambient temps slowly rose and so did oil temperatures from there on my lap times just got worse.

First thing is oil temperatures, with my 25 row oil cooler, non thermostatic sandwich plate and 10an lines I see a 20-30f drop in temps from the inlet to the outlet of the oil cooler. It is indeed working, and without it I am 100% certain that temps would have been in the red zone at this past event.

I logged 273F oil temps with my accessport, this is 7 degrees away from going into the yellow on the display in the instrument cluster.

Coolant temps peaked at 224F, this is very hot as well. Also keep in mind I have the Performance Package radiator.

Intercooler Charge temps peaked at 152F, this is with the Ultimate Racing Intercooler.

With this all being said I have some insight and a plan to get these temperatures in check.

Unfortunately the aftermarket hasn't been mentioning any sort of radiator upgrades for the near future so I decided venture out. I contacted Ron Davis Radiators and they were 100% ready for the challenge of making an Ecoboost radiator that can take anything you throw at it.

I sent them a brand new OEM Ecoboost Performance Package Radiator with an OEM fan so that they can make a direct fit replacement. The most challenging part is making the radiator hold the intercooler like the OEM one does. I will post development pictures and updates as I get them.

Oil temperatures will come down once the radiator is put in place, from my logs I can see how the coolant temps go hand in hand with each other.

I am on the list for Ambient Thermal Managements intercooler, I am really looking forward to seeing how it does.

Another thing I am doing is removing my stock downpipe and installing a 3 inch ATP unit. I'll have to modify it to fit with my custom catback which won't be an issue.

With a less restrictive downpipe back pressure and EGTs should drop, this should help with coolant and oil temps especially since we have the water pipe hanging right above the turbo.

I haven't seen anyone road race their Ecoboost to the extent I have yet, but hope to see more insight and findings from other people.

At this point I have to skip my trackday for the month of May because these temperatures are just too high for my liking and I know I'm just asking for trouble.

Hopefully I'll have the new radiator by mid June and can get the car back out racing.

Here's a pic of the stock PP radiator so you guys can get an idea of what it looks like. It has 2 inch end tanks with a 1.4 inch thick core.

If anyone could take a look, I'd be curious to see what the size of the standard Ecoboost radiator is.

17006779298_513eeda16c_b_d.jpg
Sponsored

dragonacc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost PP
Thanks for the info. I bet a more efficient turbo would really help too. Looking forward to seeing how the new radiator turns out.

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Thanks for the info. I bet a more efficient turbo would really help too. Looking forward to seeing how the new radiator turns out.
Yes! I forgot to mention that. We have a lot of good options coming out in the upcoming months.

FFTEC, FullRace, and MAP all seem to have some really nice options which will all help with EGTs and be much more efficient.

I'm also excited to see the stock placement turbos like Cavalli and ATP. It's just a waiting game right now!

Impulsed7

HPDE Champion
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
EB PP track rat...
Mishimoto makes fairly good radiators, problem is most of mine have eventually developed a leak in the long run. Local repair shops were cheap enough that I didn't care to ask mishi about it, but they do hold up for at least 3 years of hard track abuse. (probably my fault for not having a grille in front of it).

I would be interested in their upgraded cooler, but also want to try an upgraded turbo, their oil cooler and an intercooler setup first.

Whatever setup someone comes out with, please have aluminum end tanks!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Anthony@HTM

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Any aftermarket cooler should have aluminum end tanks.

If Mishimoto had it right now I'd be all over it. They also have lifetime warranties now!
Mishimoto makes fairly good radiators, problem is most of mine have eventually developed a leak in the long run. Local repair shops were cheap enough that I didn't care to ask mishi about it, but they do hold up for at least 3 years of hard track abuse. (probably my fault for not having a grille in front of it).

I would be interested in their upgraded cooler, but also want to try an upgraded turbo, their oil cooler and an intercooler setup first.

Whatever setup someone comes out with, please have aluminum end tanks!

2mnyprojects

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
15 ecoboost mustang
Was the overheating on the factory tune or aftermarket?

Rondog

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustangecoboost
This makes things more complicated. I was hoping the oil cooler, FMIC and a tune and I would be done with the engine, heat soak power loss issue. Guess not. Bummer.

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
understanding it's just part of the cooling equation
but what about the LMS evenflow thermostat ?

Ponykix

2015 Ecoboost Mustang PP
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Ecoboost PP
I feel you are going down all the right paths to solve the heat issue. I plan come at it from a different angle. I am surprised I have not seen much on water meth yet. If I prioritized my mods they would go something like this.

1. Tune
2. DP ( never liked carrying a heat generator "cat" beside my engine around the track)
3. Catback Exhaust
4. Water Meth
5. Intercooler( then log temps to see what oils temps are at )
The following only if needed.
6. Oil Cooler.
7. Radiator
8. Upgraded Turbo ( who doesn't want a bigger more efficient turbo )

It will be interesting to find out what it takes to resolve track day heat soak. Thanks for keep us posted on your progress. What have you done for you brakes?

Sponsored

Herr_Poopschitz

Nullius in verba
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Junk
understanding it's just part of the cooling equation
but what about the LMS evenflow thermostat ?
Will only work if the radiator has the ability to dissipate the heat being created...to keep coolant temps that low. At the levels OP is pushing, the radiator is simply incapable of taking the heat out of the system.

NewSVO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Guard boost premium 6mt
I don't track my car but I do live in the good ol' sunshine state aka hell and my charge temps were through the roof with my stock FMIC from only a few WOT pulls. I then upgraded to the Levels performance FMIC and the only time I saw a high temp (113) was when I was idling for 15 mins at the starbucks drive thru lol, doing WOT pulls it would stay at a constant 93-103

Diablocoastie

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
Deep Impact Blue EB (SOLD)

WatchSquid

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim