Sponsored

Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge Gives Away Next GT350's Debut

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
What are the new restrictions? They need to at least meet the class maximum of 405rwhp. Most of the class runs from 350-370rwhp, that's where they need to be...

When restricted, the LS7 will have engine problems.
Sponsored

Fenderaddict2

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fastmyles.com
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang Boss 302
I'm pretty sure Multimatic engineered and assembles the 302Rs while the cage is built by Watson:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/car-reviews/m5lp-1204-ford-mustang-boss-302-vs-302s/

I think your estimates are pretty low for what is found in lightly modified M3 and Porsche GTS street cars, which can easily make over 400whp with minimal work. Same for the 302 which is now unrestricted.

Every manufacturer uses aftermarket double adjustable race dampers and aftermarket brakes, no one uses factory stuff in CTSCC or PWC.

Body in white was build at Ford plant and shipped to Ford partners like Watson (who does seam weld the body and build the cage), Roush and Multimatic.

Sabre

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Iconic Silver 2023 Mach 1 with Handling Package
Ford Racing builds ALL Boss 302's, especially for the classes that required homologation. This is published in the vehicle overview. The Camaro had one of the worst performances out of all the active competition. Sadly, a nearly unrestricted 7 liter was the answer, along with a 100rwhp advantage over the 370rwhp class maximum.

This is a perfect example of just how unfit the 5th Gen platform is. There is no reason any car needs 470rwhp and 7 liters. In order for Riley or Pratt to make this thing competitive, they swapped out the exterior panels to CF. The entire suspension and brakes are aftermarket while everyone else uses OEM stuff.

Of course the z28.R is fast... The class was specifically set up for that exact reason. They have sucked the last 4 seasons, they were handed a bone.
Really?....Ford Racing builds them?

I'd like to see that...can you tell me where Ford Racing's assembly plant/building is? Do they give tours?

C'mon....it's common knowledge that Mustang shells come off the line and go to Multimatic for conversion to the 302 S and 302 R versions.

Oh....and Stuntman is correct....aftermarket brakes and suspensions are used in CTSCC and PWC...you won't see much, if any, OEM.

Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I believe Ford offers the Boss 302S from Ford Racing at dealerships... I never heard of a 3rd Party Boss 302. Even the CTSCC Rulebook says shipped by Ford Racing.

Also, according to the part list, most of the Boss 302R's equipment is OEM. The exception is shocks/struts, wheels and tires due to sponsors...

Ford Racing also builds the Cobra Jet to spec... I've never heard of a 3rd party Cobra Jet.

Also, OEM brakes are used in CTSCC, the Boss 302R is permitted a GT500 rear brake swap at a 100lbs penalty...

...now, the Camaro is a different story...

Stuntman, that 350-370rwhp is not an estimate, that is the figure given by the CTSCC site. I linked that very info to you specifically on another occasion.

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
http://m.imsa.com/imsa101/classes-0

This says 350 to 405rwhp (405 is class max). Trust me, the Boss 302R is not putting down 405 to the tire with a 57mm restrictor tube.

The z28.R was reported (by the driver on Camaro5) to have "only" 470rwhp. This is amazing!!! That would mean the LS7.R they are using is a 550hp engine, now restricted down to a 75mm (was 80mm).

This is why the Camaro is doing so well...

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
Yes, that appears to be a Ford Racing warehouse.

Its funny they even use actual Boss 302 cars (I'll bet additional units over the production Boss). Does anyone know what a z28.R is before hand? Its a plain jane Camaro... Then sent to Pratt Miller to be assembled as needed. In fact, the z28.R is NEVER an actual z28. Pretty sure the LS7 is an LS7.R, tranny is from the GS.R, which was aftermarket anyway...

That is just shameful...

Its not just the CTSCC, the SCCA WC is allowing this crap too. The Camaro is a composite in GTS and T1... A KIA is about to win the GTS championship, the z28 is in 2nd...

3rd party cars destroy factory racing. Its merely rewarding the lazy manufacturers and encouraging vehicles to compete that don't belong there.

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT

Momentum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Boss302R, Z28, R8, Porsche GT3 Cup
I believe Ford offers the Boss 302S from Ford Racing at dealerships... I never heard of a 3rd Party Boss 302. Even the CTSCC Rulebook says shipped by Ford Racing.

Also, according to the part list, most of the Boss 302R's equipment is OEM. The exception is shocks/struts, wheels and tires due to sponsors...

Ford Racing also builds the Cobra Jet to spec... I've never heard of a 3rd party Cobra Jet.

Also, OEM brakes are used in CTSCC, the Boss 302R is permitted a GT500 rear brake swap at a 100lbs penalty...

...now, the Camaro is a different story...

Stuntman, that 350-370rwhp is not an estimate, that is the figure given by the CTSCC site. I linked that very info to you specifically on another occasion.
Ford Racing builds neither the Boss302S nor the Cobra Jet drag cars. Watson Racing and Engineering does most of the frame, chassis and cage work etc. They also assist Ford engineers in developing parts for the race cars ie the aero stuff moving air from the front of the car to where they need it. They are currently working on resolving the many issues to build a Cobra Jet from the 2015 model using a stick axle. Most classes make you run a factory frame and they'll need to cut and paste the rear of the 2015. After the new Cobra Jet is ironed out, only then will Ford Racing begin working on making a 2015 to compete in WC. So a 2015 running in WC is a couple of years away. I recently spoke with Chuck at Mid Ohio as he sponsors our car in WC.

TampaBear67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cool Blue 07 Accord EX-L 2.4, DOHC, iVTEC Coupe
We've made news again in Car & Driver

IMSA Announcers Leak Mustang GT350R On-Track Debut Timing—Street GT350 Imminent?

Given the copious amount of talking done by announcers during car races, a lot can be lost. But our sharp-eared—if that’s a thing—friends atMustang6G*picked up on a telling comment made in minute 39 of last weekend’s*Indianapolis Motor Speedway broadcast:*“And right now what’s in development is that GT350 race car for next year. We should see that car on the track later this September.”

As*Mustang6G*points out, the only IMSA event in September is the*Continental Tire SportsCar Challenge in Austin*at the Circuit of the Americas, which takes place on September 19.

While the announcer was referring to the track-only GT350R, this off-the-cuff comment suggests to us that the introduction of the streetable version of the*2015 Mustang Shelby GT350*could be imminent, perhaps occurring just before the racing version makes its debut. Of course, it’s not impossible that Ford will show the salable car later, as Chevrolet did when it unveiled*the NASCAR version of its SS*some weeks before pulling the sheets from*the production model.

But our most recent*GT350 spy shots*from the Nürburgring show a very complete-looking (and bad-ass!) car that appears to be in its final verification and development phase. We don’t think we’re alone in our anticipation of Ford stripping off the camo and revealing what promises to be one of the greatest Mustangs in history.
http://blog.caranddriver.com/imsa-a...-on-track-debut-timing-street-gt350-imminent/
Sponsored